This says it all...wide the hell open

Dablitzkrieg

Can't fault him for not making that throw because there was zero time to advance to 2nd read.

But the stop shots highlight how the defenses don't respect him.  Nobody cares about any throw beyond 10 yards.

He doesn't belong on an NFL roster

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 4

After he came off the first read the pocket was pushed back into his face. Nate isnt athletic enough to get away. I think Josh may have been able to get outside the pocket and find Clay, not certain but he has a much higher chance on a play like that than Nate

10 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

After he came off the first read the pocket was pushed back into his face. Nate isnt athletic enough to get away. I think Josh may have been able to get outside the pocket and find Clay, not certain but he has a much higher chance on a play like that than Nate

This is true, but I think Cover1’s point is that when he comes to the line, Nate should be able to assess the pattern and diagnose that single high safety/2 LB set means the seam will be open, and he should expect to find Kerley (#10) there open.  Kerley is raising his hand yelling “pick me pick me” at the point where the pocket collapses, but he appears to have finished his route at that point and presumably a throw with anticipation would have gotten to him moments earlier, before the pocket collapsed.

The point is that finding Clay (who was in the slot) was not what the D was givin him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is true, but I think Cover1’s point is that when he comes to the line, Nate should be able to assess the pattern and diagnose that single high safety/2 LB set means the seam will be open, and he should expect to find Kerley (#10) there open.  Kerley is raising his hand yelling “pick me pick me” at the point where the pocket collapses, but he appears to have finished his route at that point and presumably a throw with anticipation would have gotten to him moments earlier, before the pocket collapsed.

The point is that finding Clay (who was in the slot) was not what the D was givin him.

Ah that makes sense

what good are open targets when your unsettled in the pocket and running for your life? 

He was also thinking about ball protection, remember its raining and his arm is limited.   Sure you can a play like this, but this play was far from the norm. 

I saw covered receivers almost the entire game, many times they did not get of the line and Peterman was already moving on and checking down.  It is likely that receivers got open  when Peterman was in trouble which was usually in about 1.5 seconds.

Edited by Bob in STL

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

We know Peterman is bad, however the QBs had no time to throw. The play is designed to get particular people open no QB in the league can make it through all their progressions every single play.

Except he did have time to throw, and the point is where does a QB start his progressions given the defensive set before the snap.  No play can be “designed to get particular people open” in the abstract, the QB has to read the D and see who’ll be open.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can someone explain to me why Miller taps Groy on the leg seemingly to have him hike the ball. Then while being pushed back hard, he's looking over at Suggs and Mills locking horns. Maybe he has a better chance blocking Urban if he's paying attention to him.

9 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I couldn't hear the audio, but it's clear looking at it that Peterman didn't have time to make the deep throw.  He was in serious trouble.   

Your point is the important point:  Nate's essentially a rookie.  Allen's a rookie.   Allen has the physical ability to have hit the slot receiver on the left for a decent short gain and also the physical ability to have gotten out of the mess and found the deep man; Nate doesn't have that ability and can't learn it.   Whatever marginal edge Nate may have in the experience department is easily outweighed by the things that only Allen can do.  

When I watch the video of all of Allen's throws against the Ravens, I see a guy who looks the top 10 QBs in the league - pocket awareness, escapability, quick release, accurate throws.  Darnold was excellent last night, and Allen looks the same.  

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, but that anticipation throw is really tough for a rookie to make (and I consider Peterman a rookie).  Rodgers would launch it, but rookies generally don't have that confidence.   

However, it seems to me that what a smart rookie does, what I could imagine Allen doing, is as you say, recognize at the line that what the defense is giving him and be prepared to bail out of the pocket early to buy the time necessary to find Kerley.   Allen has the ability, the arm strength, for example, to back pedal a few steps to buy that time and still get enough on the ball to reach Kerley downfield.  If not backpedal, escape left or right just a few steps and then throw.  Point is, the thinking at the line is "I've got my man in the seam, I need time to verify before I throw, and I might need to move to get the time."   

The problem, of course, is getting your rookie to do all that thinking.   The important point is that when both Allen and Peterman have mastered the thinking, only one of them has the physical tools to make the throw.    

People may blast me for this, but Allen already can make throws like Rodgers does - all kinds of positions, all kinds of pace.   He needs to learn to think like Rodgers, and the only he can learn that is on the field.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

what good are open target when your unsettled in the pocket and running for your life? 

He was also thinking about ball protection, remember its raining and his arm is limited. 

I saw covered receivers almost the entire game, many times they did not get of the line and Peterman was already moving on and checking down.  It is likely that receivers got open  when Peterman was in trouble which was usually in about 1.5 seconds

I think “raining and arm limited” may be the key factor on this particular play.  Perhaps he doubts his ability to make that throw to Kerley.

But frankly he shouldn’t be QB an NFL team if that’s the case.  That’s a standard NFL throw.

I haven’t looked at the all-22 so I don’t know what was there for him.  I’m sure at times, everyone was covered, especially if Bal mapped what he would and wouldn’t try to do - that way they could just focus to jam and squat on the subset of the routes Peterman would actually try to use.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except he did have time to throw, and the point is where does a QB start his progressions given the defensive set before the snap.  No play can be “designed to get particular people open” in the abstract, the QB has to read the D and see who’ll be open.

plays absolutely can be drawn up to get a particular guy open, Peterman is the worst QB the NFL has seen for some time however i doubt anyone could move this offense much given the line and receivers. 

35 minutes ago, GG said:

Can't fault him for not making that throw because there was zero time to advance to 2nd read.

But the stop shots highlight how the defenses don't respect him.  Nobody cares about any throw beyond 10 yards.

He doesn't belong on an NFL roster

Good QBs see that matchup out there before he snap.. Peterman just flat out sucks 

31 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

When he did extend plays, he was very slow to identify targets. I don't think either of them can save this season.

It looks like to me, he stays on his first read or the left side of the field too long. He waits too long for Clay to break from his guy.

And here in lies the problem with Nate P. He's determined where he's going before the snap and does a poor job post snap. Watch the Safety follow his eyes over to the left, leaving the seam wide open. Weddle has his back to the seam route even before Nate gets to his first read. That's a TD if he recognizes this post snap, he just doesn't do that.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1