Offense: Play the hot hand

LeGOATski

I know it sounds super cliche, but I think it definitely applies here. The offense needs a spark, so play the hot hands.

1) Allen - the hot hand by default because Peterman is super cold. He's tundra terrible. I think it's time to roll with the #7 pick for the rest of the season, for better or worse. Let him learn on the job.

Positive things I saw: kept his composure under pressure, moved well in the pocket to buy time, took what the defense gave him and ran well, threw some very accurate darts and gave his receivers a chance to make plays.

2) Murphy - the dude is playing with tons of confidence right now. I'd like to see him used more in the passing game on delayed underneath routes and in the slot. Motion him around. Keep him on punt return duty, too, obviously.

3) Croom - he showed reliable hands on Sunday. Something that can't be said for most of the other receivers. Two TE sets with Clay and Croom? Yes, please. Use them to clear out the middle for the underneath routes to Shady/Murphy, too.

Anyone else you'd like to see get more action? 

• Like (+1) 1

I said before the game yesterday that no other team in the NFL would ever start Peterman. It just wouldn't happen. Only the Bills. He needs to never take a snap here again. The entire league is laughing at us. We're a punchline. Start Allen for the rest of the year. You're not going to 'hurt his confidence' and we don't have the luxury to someday wait until our line is improved. That's how losing teams talk.

It was also way obvious yesterday that Murphy should be getting more touches. I realize that we're not using Shady correctly, but we have a good north-south runner in Murphy. Give him the opportunity to take the whole job. Seriously. McCoy's 30. He's not going to be playing at an all-pro level forever. 

lastly, Edmunds comes as advertised. just making places all over the field. great pick!

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I said before the game yesterday that no other team in the NFL would ever start Peterman. It just wouldn't happen. Only the Bills. He needs to never take a snap here again. The entire league is laughing at us. We're a punchline. Start Allen for the rest of the year. You're not going to 'hurt his confidence' and we don't have the luxury to someday wait until our line is improved. That's how losing teams talk.

It was also way obvious yesterday that Murphy should be getting more touches. I realize that we're not using Shady correctly, but we have a good north-south runner in Murphy. Give him the opportunity to take the whole job. Seriously. McCoy's 30. He's not going to be playing at an all-pro level forever. 

lastly, Edmunds comes as advertised. just making places all over the field. great pick!

I can't imagine anything hurting Allen's confidence more than remaining the back-up to Peterman, wondering why Nate is playing while you hold the clipboard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the thing.

What happens (and it is entirely possible) if they start Allen and he falls on his face and takes a while to get it.....or possibly doesnt even get it this year due to the lack of protection and targets?  What do you do then?

In my opinion.....I just keep the ship going with Allen at this point and whereever we end up at the end of the year that is what it is.....because I absolutely do not go back to Peterman once that change is made.

Peterman will never be the "hot hand" in this offense. The guy has laid an absolute dud twice now when given the opportunity and this time he had a whole offseason of preparation. He just doesn't have the arm or the confidence in himself diagnosing plays to be successful. Allen is under Center now for the duration.

Murphy is going to make McCoy expendable in upper management's eyes if he continues to make plays. Granted they key in on Shady more so than Murphy at this point so it's really hard to gauge how effective he could be. 

The situation with Croom will do the same with Clay, make him expendable if he can keep elevating his game. Younger, more athletic, but needs to get things down in the run game and on pass pro first. 

Haven't seen this, which probably means 26CB will respond with the link.

Allen post-game interview.  Kid sounds like he's got a really level head and/or is well coached in what to say and not say.

Thing I liked the best: he was asked about the 1-3 from the Baltimore 3 play and he said immediately "that was a bad decision on my part, I should have given the ball to Shady and it probably would have been a walk-in touchdown".  Way to Cowboy up, and I would imagine Shady would appreciate that.

Thing I was a bit put off by: he was asked "any frustration in the first half when you're standing on the sideline watching the offense struggle to the point where they can't even pick up the first?" and he said "no, not at all".  Even though he expanded on that answer reasonably, his initial response didn't ring true to me.  I don't believe there's a competitive athlete alive who would be standing there watching his team get its a** handed to them and not think "I could do better, I could contribute! put me in Coach!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haven't seen this, which probably means 26CB will respond with the link.

Allen post-game interview.  Kid sounds like he's got a really level head and/or is well coached in what to say and not say.

Thing I liked the best: he was asked about the 1-3 from the Baltimore 3 play and he said immediately "that was a bad decision on my part, I should have given the ball to Shady and it probably would have been a walk-in touchdown".  Way to Cowboy up, and I would imagine Shady would appreciate that.

Thing I was a bit put off by: he was asked "any frustration in the first half when you're standing on the sideline watching the offense struggle to the point where they can't even pick up the first?" and he said "no, not at all".  Even though he expanded on that answer reasonably, his initial response didn't ring true to me.  I don't believe there's a competitive athlete alive who would be standing there watching his team get its a** handed to them and not think "I could do better, I could contribute! put me in Coach!"

his response is a kid learning how to say the right things to the media. i think he thought if he said he was frustrated that he would be throwing peterman under the bus.

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What happens (and it is entirely possible) if they start Allen and he falls on his face and takes a while to get it.....or possibly doesnt even get it this year due to the lack of protection and targets?  What do you do then?

It seems like nothing has ever come easy for him - he didn't get a scholarship to a Division 1 college, went to a JUCO before Wyoming, etc. Through all the adversity, he just kept working to improve himself. Hopefully that resiliency will carry him through the difficult times ahead of him.

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

his response is a kid learning how to say the right things to the media. i think he thought if he said he was frustrated that he would be throwing peterman under the bus.

That's what I was thinking too. Not only would he be throwing Peterman under the bus, he'd also be second-guessing the coaching staff. At this point in his career, he's in no position to do either of those things in front of the press.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I know it sounds super cliche, but I think it definitely applies here. The offense needs a spark, so play the hot hands.

1) Allen - the hot hand by default because Peterman is super cold. He's tundra terrible. I think it's time to roll with the #7 pick for the rest of the season, for better or worse. Let him learn on the job.

Positive things I saw: kept his composure under pressure, moved well in the pocket to buy time, took what the defense gave him and ran well, threw some very accurate darts and gave his receivers a chance to make plays.

2) Murphy - the dude is playing with tons of confidence right now. I'd like to see him used more in the passing game on delayed underneath routes and in the slot. Motion him around. Keep him on punt return duty, too, obviously.

3) Croom - he showed reliable hands on Sunday. Something that can't be said for most of the other receivers. Two TE sets with Clay and Croom? Yes, please. Use them to clear out the middle for the underneath routes to Shady/Murphy, too.

Murphy is the beneficary many times of long down and distances on 2nd and 3rd down when the D is playing coverage and will happily give up a 8 or 9 yard run. Im not saying he hasnt been good but you need to know WHY is looking better than McCoy on 1st downs.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Finally. A thread that seems to get it. For the most part I keep on pushing the Murphy propaganda because the kid just keeps on lighting things up. He should at LEAST be put in there in some 1 - 10 situations. Put him in a few times WITHOUT McCoy, run him up the middle and watch him gouge the d-line for 3 - 5 yards a pop. THEN, put him in with McCoy...motion McCoy or him...move them around a bit....the defense won't know who to key in on. They have a serious player in Murphy and I can't figure out why they didn't start the year using combinations of backs. Before the 4th quarter the only time they put Ivory or Murphy in was to pass block....and EVERY time they put McCoy in it was an up the middle run play.....predictable as hell. I was literally calling the plays from my couch before they happened. 

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Murphy is the beneficary many times of long down and distances on 2nd and 3rd down when the D is playing coverage and will happily give up a 8 or 9 yard run. Im not saying he hasnt been good but you need to know WHY is looking better than McCoy on 1st downs.

I don't wholly disagree with you here. It's really just guess work though since they never TRIED putting Murphy, our best hard hitting / up the middle guy, in on first down up-the-middle runs. Instead they took CJ Spiller 2.0 on a rainy day behind a porous o-line and told him to run it into the big group of guys. I wonder why he wasn't successful. It's a mystery ;)

Count the men in the box. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-rb-marcus-murphy-picks-up-22-yards
https://www.buffalobills.com/video/marcus-murphy-goes-up-the-middle-on-7-yard-td-run

Seeing a pattern? He sees the holes before they even develop and hits them hard and fast. He does the same thing on returns. Why he is so successful. Watch the last video posted here at 27 seconds....guy in his face before he has the ball. SPIN MOVE MADDEN STYLE....+ 4 yards. 

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I never said he looked better than McCoy. He's playing with a lot of confidence and is seeing the lanes well when running and returning. You share him with McCoy 60/40...70/30...whatever. Not including the small amount of touches Ivory also gets. But, get him more involved in the passing game. Two RB sets with McCoy. I think Daboll has to find a way to use Murphy more and not rely on other guys like Kerley.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the thing.

In my opinion.....I just keep the ship going with Allen at this point and whereever we end up at the end of the year that is what it is.....because I absolutely do not go back to Peterman once that change is made.

Let him stink it up just like Aikman , Peyton, Goff and others have

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

If receivers were not dropping balls they should have caught ppl would def say Josh had the hot hand

I can admit that. The wet conditions surely contributed to the drops, though. Hopefully future games will not see as many.