The Emotional Romanticizing Of Ex Buffalo Bills Players Needs to Stop

BuffaloRush

7 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

This might be a bit of revisionist history. I seem to recall the people upset about Hogan leaving were more bothered by the fact that the Bills let him walk without a tender so they got  nothing while he ran for New England and Brady's bosom. Woods was labeled a "replaceable #2" and Goodwin took more slings and arrows than both of them combined. Many fans were happy to see him go and labeled him 'Glass Goodwin'. Sammy and Fitz were just about run out of town on a rail. As somebody on here said, Bills fans are bipolar . Maybe they're 'Bills-polar'? They hate what they have until it's gone.

Not trying be be revisionist, but the reality is that we miss the talent they represented, or maybe, more accurately, they are gone and we did not find adequate replacements or upgrades.  That some of them became better players after they left likely is more on the Bills in terms of coaching or not surrounding them with same level of talent as their new teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is what happens all the time here it isn't any thing new the sky is falling !! It was all there in front of us yet we all still have our hopes & dreams at the beginning of the season that it will be as it once was Ah but those dreams come crashing down to the ground & reality sets in .

I do wish given the QB situation that with so much unproven "talent" at the position that McD would have kept AJ around as a safety blanket of sorts for the what if this happens moment like yesterday. Now where do you go from here you know they are looking at veteran QB's in some way they have to !

Wel i guess we even have growing pains when it comes to our some what rookie HC but i'll almost bet lesson learned when it comes to keeping a vet on the team at the QB position ...

1 minute ago, T master said:

This is what happens all the time here it isn't any thing new the sky is falling !! It was all there in front of us yet we all still have our hopes & dreams at the beginning of the season that it will be as it once was Ah but those dreams come crashing down to the ground & reality sets in .

I do wish given the QB situation that with so much unproven "talent" at the position that McD would have kept AJ around as a safety blanket of sorts for the what if this happens moment like yesterday. Now where do you go from here you know they are looking at veteran QB's in some way they have to !

Wel i guess we even have growing pains when it comes to our some what rookie HC but i'll almost bet lesson learned when it comes to keeping a vet on the team at the QB position ...

How much better would AJ have done yesterday?  Hard to know.  We do know how bad he looked that one preseason game.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

How much better would AJ have done yesterday?  Hard to know.  We do know how bad he looked that one preseason game.

I was just saying . We don't know but he has seen more than either of the other 2 & been in a lot more tense situations & i think because i don't know but i would have rather had him on the field than Allen I could be wrong but if he had any of what he did in the last preseason game left in him i would have liked to see it !!

2 minutes ago, T master said:

I was just saying . We don't know but he has seen more than either of the other 2 & been in a lot more tense situations & i think because i don't know but i would have rather had him on the field than Allen I could be wrong but if he had any of what he did in the last preseason game left in him i would have liked to see it !!

Hindsight being 20:20, we should have brought in a guy like Moore or Anderson as the veteran presence.  But that's hindsight.  They had seen Peterman a lot in practice and he had performed well, they thought AJ would be a guy that would come on once he got his chance.  and they were wrong on both, it would appear.

So now Allen gets his shot.  A few games earlier than many of us thought.  But it was inevitably anyway.

7 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Nobody in Buffalo thought Woods was worth the money the Rams gave him.  The problem is Zay Jones sucks and the Bills drafted him (wasting an additonal pick to move up) to replace Woods.  

The contract Woods signed in LA put him as a well-paid #2 WR - something like 35, 36th average per year.  We could have afforded him.  You're right, some people didn't think that he was worth it - more importantly our talent evaluators didn't.  How'd that work out?

Most good teams don't COUNT on rookies to contribute strongly their first year.  They hope they do, but they don't count on it and they keep vets around to mentor/give them options to sit the rookie.

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

Not trying be be revisionist, but the reality is that we miss the talent they represented, or maybe, more accurately, they are gone and we did not find adequate replacements or upgrades.  That some of them became better players after they left likely is more on the Bills in terms of coaching or not surrounding them with same level of talent as their new teams. 

This is the part that is worrying me right now.  I don't believe that Beane and co felt they were downgrading at WR by letting Woods and Goodwin walk, trading Watkins away, trading for Matthews and Benjamin and drafting Zay Jones.  On paper, I wouldn't have thought so.

But I'm not a professional NFL talent evaluator, and the fact seems to be that they did, in fact, downgrade and the downgrade has continued this year.

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

The one thing I can’t believe is the the dramatic, over-the-Top, extreme, comically sad, romanticizing Of Bills fans for the past.  Today’s here are some of the legit takes that came from this board:

- We never should have fired Doug Whaley

- We never should have traded Sammy Watkins 

- We should have let Tyrod

- We never should have let Fitzpatrick walk 6 years ago

- I wish we kept Chan Gailey, he knew how to run an offense 

- Why did we let Robert Woods walk?

Its ridiculous!  These comments are not contradictory to the sentiments of the past, they are contradictory to sentiments from

yeaterday.   Go back to 2012, people complained about Fitz and his “noodle arm” and the INT’s late in the game that sealed the loss.  People applauded the Bills for trading Sammy for a 2nd after he he proved he wasn’t he game breaker that many were hoping for.  And some people applauded the firing of Doug Whaley whose record as GM speaks for itself, though some also defended him as Whaley is the most polarizing figure in Bills history.  

And its not just this game.  Any time something goes wrong for the Bills or anytime a former Bills player or coach achieves a moderate amount of success it’s always “oh I wish we still Mike Gilislee” or “why didn’t we resign Chris Hogan,” or “I wish Doug Whaley was still the GM.”  

This is my friends of romanticism.  Kind of like the old, overweight 50 year dude who sits in his messy studio apartment on Electric Avenue in Lackawanna and pines to back to the days when he was muscular and handsome and dating his beautiful red-haired old high-school sweetheart.  “Oh I wish I never dumped Lucy to play the field.  She was my one, true love.  I never should have broken up with her.” And in case your wondering, no that 50 year old is not me. 

But this emotional romanticism and looking back at the past through rose-colored glasses needs to stop.   It’s as useless and sad as that 50 year-old pining for Lucy (again, not me).  Point is grow up and go Bills!

As to your analogy time has made the 50 year old forget how many problems existed with the red haired sweet heart.  She was never that good to start with and she was never going to stay with him.  The same with many former Bills.  I wonder how many here spend time in that apartment building pizza box forts when they are not creating such "romantic" threads or at least adding posts to them.

6 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Fitzpatrick is a legitimate comment, having him around would have made us better.

If you are talking about the 2018 Bills roster, then yes I do agree that Fitz would be a really good addition as an experienced QB who could be a stopgap for a handful games and then hand it off to Allen.  I don’t think it was a mistake to move on from Fitz.  We all saw his shortcomings as a starting QB and it drove us crazy.  At the time, no one was upset that he was gone.  It just proves that this emotional pining has got to stop.  It’s silly

3 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

The hottest of takes.

Might have been a "hot take" if I said it 30 years ago. These days we just call it a hard truth. Love the guy and his autographs are all over the house, but he had one of the top two most talented rosters of all time and couldn't get the job done when it mattered most.

It doesnt mean I'm not a massive fan of his.

Finally getting caught up on Sal’s Extra Point Show.  He said this year he has made a commitment to take as many callers as he can.  Wow was it interesting.  

Anyway even WGR is not immune to emotional romanticism.  One agitated callers was pining about the talent that left the team like Sammy, Woods, Hogan and Goodwin.  Sal thought it was ridiculous.  They when he brought up Goodwin specifically, Sal said.

”Are you kidding me.  Marquis Goodwin!?!?  Fans thought he was always injured and not very good.  If the GM resigns Goodwin, fans would have demanded his head the next day.  Marquis Goodwin, give me a break!”   

He later said their production has more to do with the QB, than the actual talent themselves and that it’s really  easy to look good when you have Tom Brady or Jimmy G.  throwing you the football. 

Prop to Sal for shitting down the emotional romanticism.  I think some of you romanticizers should follow his advice.   It was great and so spot on!!!!

its on the end of hour 1, if anyone is interested 

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Sal, but keep in mind that Sal always seems to paint with a brush that puts McBeane in the best light possible.  It is very difficult for him to ever acknowledge that McBeane have ever made a bad move.

We can guess as to why that is.

As an aside, I knew that the Bills were picking Josh Allen when I heard Sal on the morning show talking him up the week of the draft in a way that I had not heard before in response to Jeremy's concerns about Josh.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Finally getting caught up on Sal’s Extra Point Show.  He said this year he has made a commitment to take as many callers as he can.  Wow was it interesting.  

Anyway even WGR is not immune to emotional romanticism.  One agitated callers was pining about the talent that left the team like Sammy, Woods, Hogan and Goodwin.  Sal thought it was ridiculous.  They when he brought up Goodwin specifically, Sal said.

”Are you kidding me.  Marquis Goodwin!?!?  Fans thought he was always injured and not very good.  If the GM resigns Goodwin, fans would have demanded his head the next day.  Marquis Goodwin, give me a break!”   

He later said their production has more to do with the QB, than the actual talent themselves and that it’s really  easy to look good when you have Tom Brady or Jimmy G.  throwing you the football. 

Prop to Sal for shitting down the emotional romanticism.  I think some of you romanticizers should follow his advice.   It was great and so spot on!!!!

Someone must have told you this is a cool thing to say.

I'm here to tell you that person was wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Someone must have told you this is a cool thing to say.

I'm here to tell you that person was wrong.

Bills fans = very dramatic

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I like Sal, but keep in mind that Sal always seems to paint with a brush that puts McBeane in the best light possible.  It is very difficult for him to ever acknowledge that McBeane have ever made a bad move.

We can guess as to why that is.

As an aside, I knew that the Bills were picking Josh Allen when I heard Sal on the morning show talking him up the week of the draft in a way that I had not heard before in response to Jeremy's concerns about Josh.

I stand by Coach McDermott and Brandon Beane

All of those wrs are better than any wide receivers we have. Bills fans and media people love running people out of here and talking ****. How many cbs lbs wrs rbs !@#$ even qbs have we run out of town and then looking in hindsight were like o yea they were at least avg or even good starters. 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Boy, you can say that again!

• Like (+1) 1