The Emotional Romanticizing Of Ex Buffalo Bills Players Needs to Stop

BuffaloRush

Lot of extremes here.

As I recall "most" (as defined as the posters on message boards) felt:

-Goodwin was similar to Roscoe Parrish - a fun to watch but one-trick pony who couldn't be relied on to stay healthy. I.E. not losing any sleep over him leaving. Some definitely chastised him for his perceived attention to long jumping over the NFL after he initially claimed he was only interested in football.

-Woods was someone we wanted to keep as a reliable receiver; good hands, great blocking, and rarely hurt. However - he wasn't seen as worth the #1 money some felt he got from the Rams. I don't recall anyone who wanted him gone, or wouldn't rather have kept him, but rationally (or rationalized) the thinking was the money was needed more elsewhere.

-Hogan was probably between the two. More angst because he went to the Patriots, and for a few he was their semi-annual late round chosen one. For most he was another good, but replaceable, receiver.

I'd argue that 7-11 and Woods may have received a better contract offer from the current regime if they had still been here (Hogan) or the Watkins situation was better known at the time. Woods wanted to go back home though, so that was probably just not going to happen, especially after the limited use he got here.

31 minutes ago, APoxOnYou said:

Sal is the only smart / reasonable individual on WGR but people on this site will slight him as he's "paid for".

I listen to Sal all the time.

He comes across as pretty unintelligent to be honest.  Used to coach high school football, so he has some technical knowledge of the game that other folks in broadcasting don't, but Sal never has an informed opinion or is tuned into what's happening at OBD.

He's utterly replaceable.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Lot of extremes here.

As I recall "most" (as defined as the posters on message boards) felt:

-Goodwin was similar to Roscoe Parrish - a fun to watch but one-trick pony who couldn't be relied on to stay healthy. I.E. not losing any sleep over him leaving. Some definitely chastised him for his perceived attention to long jumping over the NFL after he initially claimed he was only interested in football.

-Woods was someone we wanted to keep as a reliable receiver; good hands, great blocking, and rarely hurt. However - he wasn't seen as worth the #1 money some felt he got from the Rams. I don't recall anyone who wanted him gone, or wouldn't rather have kept him, but rationally (or rationalized) the thinking was the money was needed more elsewhere.

-Hogan was probably between the two. More angst because he went to the Patriots, and for a few he was their semi-annual late round chosen one. For most he was another good, but replaceable, receiver.

I'd argue that 7-11 and Woods may have received a better contract offer from the current regime if they had still been here (Hogan) or the Watkins situation was better known at the time. Woods wanted to go back home though, so that was probably just not going to happen, especially after the limited use he got here.

Ok so this is pretty much spot on.  I will say that when Woods left there was not this emotional reaction.  People would have liked him to stay but also didn’t think he was worth the deal he got.  

I will say that part of the fan base wanted to keep Hogan but he broke his wrist and had some drops late in the year.  Again people didn’t feel he was worth the deal he got.  They did wish that Whaley tendered him at a higher price so we’d get a #2

Edited by BuffaloRush

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

When Bills fans stop romanticizing about the past, I’ll stop using it.  Doesn’t look like it will happen anytime soon 

It’s been happening for about 20 years and odds are we have some more in store. 

You do you, I guess, but maybe spare us the crusade? Or at least be more creative with it?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Maybe he was.  But im just saying at the time, Bills fans were indifferent about Woods.

He was our second best WR at the time and got a large deal.  I would've loved to keep him but understood the reality of the situation and that tough decisions had to be made.  Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I listen to Sal all the time.

He comes across as pretty unintelligent to be honest.  Used to coach high school football, so he has some technical knowledge of the game that other folks in broadcasting don't, but Sal never has an informed opinion or is tuned into what's happening at OBD.

He's utterly replaceable.

How much intelligence does that really take?  You don't exactly need an Enigma machine to decipher what's going on at OBD....

25 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

McCoach could have re-signed one or both of Woods and Goodwin (not to mention Watkins).