The Silver Lining : Josh Allen is very good.

6 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

How do we know he's "very good" again?  He made some plays today, but he's a project at best...

He's "very good" when standing next to Nate Peterman.

Against the rest of the NFL he's still one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

Allen has a huge arm and is obviously mobile, but he struggles badly when pressured. 

We'll see what happens, but the games at Minnesota and Green Bay are going to be really tough to watch. 

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No, he’s not. Those two played at major colleges and Allen played at Wyoming.  Team offensive rankings for 2017 were:

USC - 13th

UCLA - 22nd

Wyoming - 125th 

(There were only 129 teams.)

I don’t think that Peterman can start another game for the Bills so Allen is the guy moving forward. Also look to see someone like Matt Moore signed on Monday. It's a very bad situation. Allen does have physical talent, but he was so raw coming out of college that he was a longshot to make the transition.  He's really the only option now though.

I have eyes. I have seen them all play.  All play like Rookies. Allen is as ready as the other two.  The Ravens are a Pac-10 defense.  Time to clue up and get on the Allen Train. 

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This conclusion, at this time, is ridiculous.

Nate Peterman looked fantastic during meaningless preseason games.  Today he was atrocious.  

No one here or within the organization has any idea of what QB Allen will eventually become, or not become.

We are all hoping for the best.  What Allen is remains a complete mystery.

You inability to assess Allen is a personal problem.  It is not my problem.  He is very good. By year end, barring injury, you will know the Bills have their Franchise QB for the foreseeable future. Since as you admit, you are not able to make an assessment please refrain from being a peanut gallery commentator, and just watch the games and learn. 

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The Silver Lining : Josh Allen is very good.   He has great command of the field and incredible arm talent.  We unnecessarily lost a weeks time developing him, but by seasons end, Bills fans will know they have a top 10 QB. 

I agree he could be quite good, I disagree we lost a weeks time. I’m not the least concerned about our record at the bye, or the end of the season. I’m EXTREMELY concerned about building for the next 15-20 years. If we need to be patient, I’m all aboard. We can’t block, we can’t get open, and we don’t catch very well. Let’s not get the guy killed when there is almost ZERO chance of being successful. Today’s time was great to see some real action live. Break him in slowly. YES, he’s our best QB, but thats not the question. 

Wow what do you know, Pat Mahomes is lighting up the supposedly resurgent Chargers after he sat for a year behind Alex Smith and learned how to be a QB. But what does Andy Reid know about developing QBs (Ha)?? Who thinks Mahomes would have been good as a rookie in Buffalo behind this Oline and with this receiver group?

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't anyone capable of playing in the NFL. He is not an NFL talent. 

No argument from me. I thought, based on the previous posts, you may have meant Keenum as the comparison, in that Allen has nothing to learn/gain by standing on the sidelines and watching how to not be an NFL QB, therefore not really comparable to the Keenum/Goff situation. 

Just now, Augie said:

I agree he could be quite good, I disagree we lost a weeks time. I’m not the least concerned about our record at the bye, or the end of the season. I’m EXTREMELY concerned about building for the next 15-20 years. If we need to be patient, I’m all aboard. We can’t block, we can’t get open, and we don’t catch very well. Let’s not get the guy killed when there is almost ZERO chance of being successful. Today’s time was great to see some real action live. Break him in slowly. YES, he’s our best QB, but thats not the question. 

I am old. I am much concerned with the next three seasons than seasons 15 to 20 years from now.  If I am watching games then, I will consider myself a winner. 

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

And yet it's regularly cited by NFL people as a reason for not throwing raw QBs out there before they're ready.

And yet there are plenty of examples where it just wasn't the case. More so than examples for the argument

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

And yet it's regularly cited by NFL people as a reason for not throwing raw QBs out there before they're ready.

Good thing Philadelphia didn’t throw a raw prospect who didn’t go to a major program to the wolves. One could only imagine how badly that could have turned out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, transient said:

No argument from me. I thought, based on the previous posts, you may have meant Keenum as the comparison, in that Allen has nothing to learn/gain by standing on the sidelines and watching how to not be an NFL QB, therefore not really comparable to the Keenum/Goff situation. 

Ah I see what you mean. If we had Case Keenum I'd be saying sit Josh Allen. We don't have a passable vet. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Wow what do you know, Pat Mahomes is lighting up the supposedly resurgent Chargers after he sat for a year behind Alex Smith and learned how to be a QB. But what does Andy Reid know about developing QBs. Ha. Who thinks Mahomes would have been good as a rookie in Buffalo behind this Oline and with this receiver group?

And Mahomes threw for 11,000 yards and 93 TDs to Allen's 5,000 and 44. He also had every physical tool that Allen did, except he knew how to execute. 10x the prospect. He just needed to learn a pro system.

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

And yet there are plenty of examples where it just wasn't the case. More so than examples for the argument

Really?? Show me the raw QB who was universally considered a reach in the draft, who lost an easily winnable QB competition in camp to a no name, and then started from week two onward and went on to become a franchise guy for that team. 

Edited by VW82

Just now, Warcodered said:

Really I've seen several people on here seem to believe Allen is garbage because he played for Wyoming. Surely by this logic any starting Quarterback for a number 1 rated college team must be destined for greatness.

I mean it's not like there have been numerous good QBs coming from less than stellar teams.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Allen is garbage because he went to Wyoming or for any other reason.  The offense he quarterbacked last season sucked out loud.  Asking Allen to make the jump from one of the worst college offenses in the nation to an NFL offense is way beyond realistic.  It's a terrible mistake by Beane and McD to have only Peterman and Allen as the only QBs on the roster.  Allen is totally unprepared for what he's being asked to do.  He might have a chance to be successful if the offense was otherwise stellar, but there are issues everywhere (except RB).  The Bills spent so much capital to get him and now he's not going to get a chance to develop before he's ruined.  This is on Beane and McD, not Allen.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, VW82 said:

Really?? Show me the raw QB who was universally considered a reach in the draft, who lost an easily winnable QB competition in camp to a no name, and then started from week two and went on to become a franchise guy for that team. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3597203

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's "very good" when standing next to Nate Peterman. Not a lot of thought here. <-- A piece of tape is better standing next to Nate

Against the rest of the NFL he's still one of the worst starting QBs in the league. <-- he has played 1.5 quarters of football

Allen has a huge arm and is obviously mobile, but he struggles badly when pressured. <-- the other option Peterman, is the worse!

We'll see what happens, but the games at Minnesota and Green Bay are going to be really tough to watch. optimistic! 

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And Mahomes threw for 11,000 yards and 93 TDs to Allen's 5,000 and 44. He also had every physical tool that Allen did, except he knew how to execute. 10x the prospect. He just needed to learn a pro system.

You're right it probably isn't the best comparison, but the point is it very likely helped Mahomes to sit and learn and mature before being thrown into the fire. 

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Really?? Show me the raw QB who was universally considered a reach in the draft, who lost an easily winnable QB competition in camp to a no name, and then started from week two onward and went on to become a franchise guy for that team. 

Cam Newton was considered a reach by almost every Buffalo Bill fan , whom as a group were thrilled to get Marcell Dareus instead. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Allen is garbage because he went to Wyoming or for any other reason.  The offense he quarterbacked last season sucked out loud.  Asking Allen to make the jump from one of the worst college offenses in the nation to an NFL offense is way beyond realistic.  It's a terrible mistake by Beane and McD to have only Peterman and Allen as the only QBs on the roster.  Allen is totally unprepared for what he's being asked to do.  He might have a chance to be successful if the offense was otherwise stellar, but there are issues everywhere (except RB).  The Bills spent so much capital to get him and now he's not going to get a chance to develop before he's ruined.  This is on Beane and McD, not Allen.   

This. Well said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am old. I am much concerned with the next three seasons than seasons 15 to 20 years from now.  If I am watching games then, I will consider myself a winner. 

I am also old (see the photo I chose of where I sat as a kid), but I still want what’s best in the long run. I don’t want my son to hurry up and get married to the first girl he can hook so I can see more grandkids. I want him to take his time, and do it right. I’ll see it from this world, or the next. Do it right.