Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nobody gets their mansion re-built by the government because they know somebody. 

I'm sure some do.  I'd bet Jared Kushner, if he lost a beach house, would find a way to get the government to pay for rebuilding it.  And Chelsea Clinton would just ask mom to ask the Secretary of Defense to have a company of SeaBees to rebuild it.

• Haha (+1) 3

We had a condo in St Augustine area (unincorporated St John's county) on the beach for years. The only hurricane we ever had to repair from was Matthew in late 2016 (our deck was a mess).  A1A was in bad shape with sinkholes and cracks, but fortunately for us not on the stretch where we owned.  When we came back in January of 2017 it was to the sand pushed across the street on A1A and seaweed all over the place, beach entrances blocked by sand hills, the boardwalks being rebuilt and the beach itself looking ... like a hurricane had hit.  We were lucky in that we had a service that checked our place several times a month while we were away, and they went over to view the damage (and send us photos) after the bridges opened back up. The people downstairs from us went through our condo too to check for any interior damage. With their aid, we knew the damage we were responsible for (the roof was the condo HOA's problem) could wait until we returned. 

We sold after the 2017 season (for non-hurricane related reasons). I was saying to Hubby this morning that while I missed snowbirding in Florida this past winter, I do not miss the worrying about another hurricane impacting us.

Best wishes to all in the path of Florence. I hope it misses you completely and takes a hard right out to the ocean.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/8/2018 at 7:40 PM, Augie said:

We lived VERY close to the water in SC and FL for 30 years (we could hear the boats - it costs an extra million to SEE the boats). Worst I ever got hit by a hurricane was just south of Charlotte. Tree in the kitchen and another on my car. No power for a few weeks, and water took twice as long. I just drove home to Hilton Head with a crushed windshield to find a few pine cones had fallen. Gee, glad we ran away to the in-laws....

You'll be lucky of you don't FEEL a few boats.

Not trying to be a jerk... I don't understand why so federal aid is given for a weather event that is easily mitigated by moving away from the ocean.  It's taking a lot of Federal resources from other places.  Places that are scraping and cobbling along to get buy and divert calamity of their own.  The coasts are over-populated.  Same with people living in flood zones, fire zones, etc... Winter storms are the same.  Is $$$$ given for routine snow plowing?

Hurricanes are routine.  A state like Florida does not collect any sales tax... Instead, $$$ comes off the backs of tourism... Yet, the Fed fixes things up, etc... Population gets out of hand as more and more people come.  Maybe start taxing the consumers who live there?  Or, how about bring in an industrial economy.  The Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast pull their weight with the petrol-chem industry that gives back to the nation as a whole.  What does Orlando do?  Make family "magic" happen.

Sorry if this offends.  I pray that everybody stays safe. I pray we don't have to once again draw from the commons, it takes a lot of resources from others that live in more prudent places.  I am not saying we can't live on the coasts, but population is getting out of hand.  Something needs to be done to discourage this unsustainable growth... Gaming of the system.

Thank You for letting Me take the time... And be very safe!

On 9/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Augie said:

Unless it’s a Cat 4-5 we paid little attention. The BIG ONES you had better respect. I love the old Ron White bit on hurricanes, but I’m just too lazy and inept. “It’s not THAT the wind is blowing.....it is WHAT the wind is blowing. When that yield sign goes thru your spleen....”  haha, great stuff. 

Supposedly it will be a major hurricane before it hits. 

My niece just started college @ UNC, Wilmington. /smh

Now they are expanding colleges on the seashore... Or @ very least drawing more and more to the ocean.  They should probably de-incentivize (is that a word) this trend that more & more "seek the sea."  It's unsustainable and gonna cost us dearly with these routine weather messes, take lion's share of budgets.  Just my opinion.

But yeah... Let's think we can alter climate the way that is advantageous to humans... So arrogant!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not trying to be a jerk... I don't understand why so federal aid is given for a weather event that is easily mitigated by moving away from the ocean.  It's taking a lot of Federal resources from other places.  Places that are scraping and cobbling along to get buy and divert calamity of their own.  The coasts are over-populated.  Same with people living in flood zones, fire zones, etc... Winter storms are the same.  Is $$$$ given for routine snow plowing?

Hurricanes are routine.  A state like Florida does not collect any sales tax... Instead, $$$ comes off the backs of tourism... Yet, the Fed fixes things up, etc... Population gets out of hand as more and more people come.  Maybe start taxing the consumers who live there?  Or, how about bring in an industrial economy.  The Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast pull their weight with the petrol-chem industry that gives back to the nation as a whole.  What does Orlando do?  Make family "magic" happen.

Sorry if this offends.  I pray that everybody stays safe. I pray we don't have to once again draw from the commons, it takes a lot of resources from others that live in more prudent places.  I am not saying we can't live on the coasts, but population is getting out of hand.  Something needs to be done to discourage this unsustainable growth... Gaming of the system.

Thank You for letting Me take the time... And be very safe!

I think you meant income tax... because Florida definitely has a sales tax. That, and the hotel and car rental taxes and fees, are how they soak the tourists. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

must be serious, temps dropped 25 in a day in Toronto and a torrential (for us) downpour with heavy winds ruining shaky umbrellas

keep safe and warm boardmembers with risk here, keep up updated

thoughts and prayers