talent < teamwork

billsgpr88

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

—————-

you can’t win without the talent

most champions have top levels of talent and team work

sometimes a team wins without high levels of both, but not a second time

The teams that win championships are never the most talented team. They are the team that plays the best together. 

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, teamwork counts, 

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, teamwork counts, 

Oh Lo-ord, teamwork counts.

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, talent counts, 

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, talent counts, 

Oh Lo-ord, talent counts.

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, we need both, 

Kumbayaaaaa my lord, we need both, 

Oh Lo-ord, we need both.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The 80's Celtics called to remind you they won head to head, 2 of 3 times.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The 80's Celtics called to remind you they won head to head, 2 of 3 times.

Only a Celtic fan would remember it that way, haha.  The Lakers won 5 that decade to Baaahstan's 3.  The Lakers won over the Celts in '85 and '87, giving them the 2-1 edge over the Celtics.  

Nice try, and it's 3-1 Magic over Bird with the NCAA Championship...

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So until Sunday LoL.

Just kidn I actually think we can win that one.  But the reality of this season is that there's a lot of unknowns.

Yes there are. We will know them soon

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

The NFL is not little league.

It doesn't matter how good your coaching is in the NFL, you need a minimum level of talent to compete.

The top 4-6 teams are generally separated by coaching decisions (game prep, in game execution, etc)

If your team doesn't have the talent to compete though, you just won't get anywhere against the top teams consistently (yes, I know "any given Sunday" applies, but frankly, there's a reason that the house always wins in Vegas, because odds and history favor the talented AND well coached teams over those devoid of talent, even if they are well coached).

Coaching gives you an edge and can win against ever a slightly more talented team.

Eventually there is a talent gap that cannot be overcome.

GOING TO BE and NEXT YEAR are the keys.

This year, it's a rebuild.

Im confused

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Yes there are. We will know them soon

Im confused

Your reading comprehension is terrible then.

Try harder.

3 hours ago, billspro said:

The teams that win championships are never the most talented team. They are the team that plays the best together. 

No.

Sometimes the most talented team wins, other times it does not.

There is a talent gap that cannot just be overcome with "good coaching" though.

Talent trumps all. Not that coaching, teamwork, schemes etc. aren’t factors towards success, but it all starts with talent. 

That said, talent without “football character” is useless. World is littered with talented ex players who couldn’t/wouldn’t pay the necessary price. 

Yes, you need both talent and teamwork to maximize results; it's an equation.  However in today's NFL no team has top talent at every position.  It's impossible due to salary cap, free agency, and overall talent pool, injuries, etc.  So, how do you make up for the lack of talent?  You seek to maximize the side of the equation that you can directly affect through coaching and culture.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's what Promo was trying to say, CB. 

I could be wrong, but I think the point he was trying to make was that 11 Jimmies and Joes with good Xs and Os > 11 more talented Jimmies and Joes saying "me first"

We saw that on our D and on our O under Rex Ryan.  in 2015 we had the core of the same D that was #4 overall the previous year, and it broke down into "me ball" and under-achieved.

I'm not sure that the 2015 defense is the best example. The players would often talk about how Schwartz would just turn them loose, while Rex had them running a much more technical system. They had a team of studs up front that you just had to let do their thing, and then they hired a coach that needed to be the focus. 

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

There really isn’t that much difference in talent from one roster to the next. It is having the right guys that fit scheme and buy in. I think Beane and McDermott are working on that very well. They will be labeled overachievers till they do it consistently.

This is a crazy take. Do you honestly think that there is just a little talent gap between the Bills and the Top 4? They have guys starting on the Oline that probably only play here. 

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Your reading comprehension is terrible then.

Try harder.

No.

Sometimes the most talented team wins, other times it does not.

There is a talent gap that cannot just be overcome with "good coaching" though.

There are so many factors. You need talent, football intelligence, good coaching, and chemistry to win a championship. Talent is not enough by itself, it’s the NFL, every team has talent. 

1 minute ago, billspro said:

There are so many factors. You need talent, football intelligence, good coaching, and chemistry to win a championship. Talent is not enough by itself, it’s the NFL, every team has talent. 

Which is exactly what I said.

This entire thread is basically about "we can win with good coaching and feels".

It doesn't matter how good your coaching is, there are just some talent gaps that it cannot overcome.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure that the 2015 defense is the best example. The players would often talk about how Schwartz would just turn them loose, while Rex had them running a much more technical system. They had a team of studs up front that you just had to let do their thing, and then they hired a coach that needed to be the focus. 

This is a crazy take. Do you honestly think that there is just a little talent gap between the Bills and the Top 4? They have guys starting on the Oline that probably only play here. 

Not so. In general the gap of talent is very slim. There are roughly 250 offensive lineman in the league. Think about that for a second. Millions of men are big enough, strong enough, etc...but only 250 are NFL caliber. There just isn’t that big of a discrepancy in talent. I have had this conversation with General Managers, players, and coaches. They have all said the exact same thing.

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

There is no end to the number of ways Bills fans will try to rationalize the fact that we have a below average football team.

They earn an "A" for effort and really do deserve much better than they have received in most years. 

i don't know how they'll do but, the good thing about this staff is once they get a taste of winning and smell blood during games.....we could be kicking as$ and taking names....man if we can just win this first game and beat the chargers at home...,we wiil get the confidence of any given sunday, tomorrow is huge!

i am so pumped. i can't wait!

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't know how they'll do but, the good thing about this staff is once they get a taste of winning and smell blood during games.....we could be kicking as$ and taking names....man if we can just win this first game and beat the chargers at home...,we wiil get the confidence of any given sunday, tomorrow is huge!

i am so pumped. i can't wait!

As many here have been saying all week, this Ravens team isn't exactly unbeatable.

I can think of worse places to open at on the road.

5 hours ago, billspro said:

i think you also need a little bit of luck. unless you are a completely dominant team in every phase of the game, luck definitely plays a part.

10 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not so. In general the gap of talent is very slim. There are roughly 250 offensive lineman in the league. Think about that for a second. Millions of men are big enough, strong enough, etc...but only 250 are NFL caliber. There just isn’t that big of a discrepancy in talent. I have had this conversation with General Managers, players, and coaches. They have all said the exact same thing.

That might be a small group, but that doesn't mean there isn't a huge drop-off between say the top 10 in each position and the rest. You can have 1 or 2 weak players on an otherwise stout offensive line and be ok, but you can't have one performer and the rest at 30th or lower in their position. It's pretty clear to see the drop off when your giant sized linemen get thrown around like kids.