Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

You know, for as long as that was - they were only truly terrible once or twice.  The Bills of the 70's were much worse.  The 1984-85 Bills were MUCH worse than any single team during that era.  They came very close to making the playoffs a couple times, they had very strong starts to seasons a couple times.  

I don't need a cheerleader.  I also don't need someone to B word just for the sake of bitching either.

Different time back then, NFL never got the coverage it did during the drought, also the deck was stacked more evenly with revenue sharing & free agency during the drought years so iot made even more embarrassing that this crap went on for so long.  I am not a huge fan of Sully as I thought he kind of came off as a know it all but....read most of his articles from the 20 years on the bills.  More cases than not he was dead on.  Sometimes the truth hurts.

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's been suggested that people who don't like Sully's writing are pollyannas who only want to hear  about sunshine and roses.  

We invoke Felser to show that's not true.   We're okay with fair, well-reasoned criticism.  We just don't like Sully as a columnist.  

I always prefer to invoke Jim Kelley. Felser could be critical, but Kelley could be merciless. Regardless, he was always reasoned and objective, and he was a compelling writer... and he was usually right on with his criticism. 

• Like (+1) 1

Social media has ruined the collective consciousness.  Everyone thinks their uneducated simple opinion matters.  Most people don’t care about expert opinion since they are an expert of everything.  And I’m not calling sully an expert here. 

Edited by nedboy7

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Since when did Bills fans get so sensitive to criticism?  It boggles my mind.  I think must be Stockholm syndrome associated with 17 years of epic failure.  If someone criticizes the team, they are an idiot.  

Sully get it thru your head. You are lazy and tired. Move on your are not getting us to go to your new site. 

Also question have you gotten credentialed yet from the Bills???

Edited by MAJBobby

Wow, that's a bitter man.  Totally understand it, but I just never have lived life that way.   Everyone gets treated like crap professionally and personally sometimes...everyone.  Whether you have put 30 years or 3 months into something getting kicked in the gut hurts.  Going public with your disdain is a little immature and low character.  What I heard there was a conversation you have with your spouse or a close friend over a beer.  Not a fricking podcast. 

I am glad Jerry is moving on to something else. I hope the Pegulas will see fit to issue he and Bucky credentials at some point.  Bucky, in particular, has been pretty harsh on Terry and Kim Pegula in his columns.  I like aspects of both Jerry's and Bucky's work and believe it has a place in covering the Bills and Sabres but stuff like the link below can be written as-"Terry and Kim are learning and the lessons are coming slow" rather than "Terry and Kim suck" ...the point is the same either way.  However, the second method, reflected in the column, is unnecessarily personal.  It will have consequences like pulling ad buys and denying credentials.  When you mess with the bull you tend to end up getting the horns...

https://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/bucky-gleason-pegulas-check-mirror-source-sabres-biggest-problem/

Edited by JoeF

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Again though, to me it’s no surprise that the analysts who criticize the Bills are among the most hated by the fan base.  This is true for:

- Jerry Sullivan

- Mike Rodak

- Mike Schopp

- Jeremy White

- Bucky Gleason

Sully has handeled criticism well over the years.  If anyone is oversensitive to criticism, it’s the Bills fans - not Sully

I have no problem with this list OTHER than Sully and Schopp.  Sully was a cantankerous hack and Schopp is a pompous ass.  Do you remember when Schopp's show was "sports for smart people"?  Well I DO.  He comes off as condescending and a know-it-all and it is unbecoming and lazy radio.

I also liked Felser and Kelley.  They were critical BUT with a purpose.

40 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I have no problem with this list OTHER than Sully and Schopp.  Sully was a cantankerous hack and Schopp is a pompous ass.  Do you remember when Schopp's show was "sports for smart people"?  Well I DO.  He comes off as condescending and a know-it-all and it is unbecoming and lazy radio.

I also liked Felser and Kelley.  They were critical BUT with a purpose.

Again, though I find it somewhat ironic that the most unpopular columnists with Bills fans, and the ones who are the most critical

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Who's Jerry Sullivan?...

Isnt he the captain who landed that plane or something?

For some reason I've always wanted to like Sullivan.  But his post BN career has shown how crazy self important he is.  There was a day when someone hired him fresh out of college and now he would deny someone the same chance?

Somehow this guy got it on his head he is F. Scott Fitzgerald and people are privileged to read his writing.  Bottom line, when he left someone else took his place. Just like any average Joe.  

I learned a long time ago, if you constantly find yourself at odds with people, it's probably not them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Somehow this guy got it on his head he is F. Scott Fitzgerald and people are privileged to read his writing.  Bottom line, when he left someone else took his place. Just like any average Joe.  

Which is funny because F. Scott Fitzgerald thought people were privileged to read his writing. ;)

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

It has always cracked me up how sentimental so many Bills fans were/are about Larry Felser, yet loathe Sullivan.  Felser was as negative as they come.  Not saying i don't like him, but he always ripped the Bills, even in the better years.  

Felser had the football chops and league-wide contacts to explain the points he was making in his negative columns.   Sully wrote for the "drunk on a bar stool" fanbase because he had no real understanding of the game and never developed any contacts to help offset that limitation.    

Put another way, one guy was a dedicated craftsman who was thankful for his job and loved doing it.   The other was a lazy hack who looked down on his readers and thought he could just phone it in...    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1