Breshad Perriman to visit Bills

13 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

See the issue here is you can have guys that fit the culture AND are actual contributers to the team. He's a FB. 95% of the league does not even have one and he is one half of our captains; a guy who plays on 1/4 of our plays...Can't a coach who doesn't take a roster spot do his job? Wouldn't it be nice to have an extra OL or WR? We're constantly at the bottom in offense and the biggest highlight this guy has for us is bouncing a pass off his chest to the other team for 6 points. Good culture!

Also, all that the Whaley teams were missing was a coaching staff worth something, which by the way, was a decision Tim and Kim botched. Not Whaley. 

18 of the 32 teams have a fullback, which means 44% of the teams dont use one.  Dimarco played in 63% of the snaps last year, your 1/4 comment totally disregarded his contribution on special teams, which like it or not is part of a football game.

Whaley worked for the Bills for six years in that time the team made the playoffs 0 times.  He drafted 20 players from 2014-2016, 10 of them no longer play in the NFL.  He wasnt a martyr for the bad coaches alone, he was a bad GM.  You and I can field a call from Chip Kelly to trade for Lesean McCoy, that was a slam dunk.

Bottom line is the Bills made the playoffs one time in 17 years, and that had something to do with whatever McDermott is doing there.  I think I'll roll with that for awhile rather than defending Whaley.

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

The Bills disagree with you.

When a team cuts or gives away a 1st rd pick after 2 or 3 yrs, it’s usually not a good sign.

Usually... not always. Just look at Jerry Hughes... Colts couldn't wait to get rid of him. Sometimes a player just needs a change. For me Perriman and Foster are same type of player big tall fast receivers who can't catch and tracks balls poorly. Only difference is Breshad has 1st round talent and his potential is much greater. The way I see it is worst case scenario he gives us the same production that Foster would give us and best case scenario he lives up to his hype after leaving Baltimore. I'd do that every day.

And obviously they don't disagree with me or they wouldn't be working him out or made that trade for Coleman.

43 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Usually... not always. Just look at Jerry Hughes... Colts couldn't wait to get rid of him. Sometimes a player just needs a change. For me Perriman and Foster are same type of player big tall fast receivers who can't catch and tracks balls poorly. Only difference is Breshad has 1st round talent and his potential is much greater. The way I see it is worst case scenario he gives us the same production that Foster would give us and best case scenario he lives up to his hype after leaving Baltimore. I'd do that every day.

And obviously they don't disagree with me or they wouldn't be working him out or made that trade for Coleman.

Hughes is an exception, and he wasn’t cut or traded for a 7th draft pick two years away. He was the 31st pick and he was traded for the 68th pick.

Suggesting that Foster can’t catch or track a ball is ridiculous.

Coleman is gone and Perriman apparently won’t be signed. Not sure what either have to do with Foster specifically . Besides Benjamin, all of our WRs are potentially replaceable.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

18 of the 32 teams have a fullback, which means 44% of the teams dont use one.  Dimarco played in 63% of the snaps last year, your 1/4 comment totally disregarded his contribution on special teams, which like it or not is part of a football game.

Whaley worked for the Bills for six years in that time the team made the playoffs 0 times.  He drafted 20 players from 2014-2016, 10 of them no longer play in the NFL.  He wasnt a martyr for the bad coaches alone, he was a bad GM.  You and I can field a call from Chip Kelly to trade for Lesean McCoy, that was a slam dunk.

Bottom line is the Bills made the playoffs one time in 17 years, and that had something to do with whatever McDermott is doing there.  I think I'll roll with that for awhile rather than defending Whaley.

I totally get the "Bills made the playoffs one time in 17 years" argument and  the benefit of doubt earned by McBeane, but I wish people would think a little bit about that '10 no longer play in the NFL out of 20 draft picks" stat.  To interpret, you need to ask a fundamental question: what would that number be for other NFL GMs around the league?

Since overall, something like 50% of players drafted in the 1st round bust and it's a higher rate in later rounds, 50% overall is probably above average.  I mean anecdotally, just look at this thread - we're talking about two 1st round WR drafted by other teams who are busts.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I totally get the "Bills made the playoffs one time in 17 years" argument and  the benefit of doubt earned by McBeane, but I wish people would think a little bit about that '10 no longer play in the NFL out of 20 draft picks" stat.  To interpret, you need to ask a fundamental question: what would that number be for other NFL GMs around the league?

Since overall, something like 50% of players drafted in the 1st round bust and it's a higher rate in later rounds, 50% overall is probably above average.  I mean anecdotally, just look at this thread - we're talking about two 1st round WR drafted by other teams who are busts.

50% may be above average over a longer time span but for the Bills to have 50% of the players they drafted over the last three years (not counting 2018) be completely out of the league is a very telling stat for Whaley's time here.

Not going to look at every team, but in the AFC alone, in the same time period the Dolphins are at 82%, Jets 86%, and Patriots 63%.   That puts the Bills well below the average. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

50% may be above average over a longer time span but for the Bills to have 50% of the players they drafted over the last three years (not counting 2018) be completely out of the league is a very telling stat for Whaley's time here.

Not going to look at every team, but in the AFC alone, in the same time period the Dolphins are at 82%, Jets 86%, and Patriots 63%.   That puts the Bills well below the average. 

Interesting, can you share the data?

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You may be able to find the stats somewhere, but my guess is that the WR has one of the highest bust rates among 1st round picks.  There are a ton of factors that go into it, but teams really focus on combine athleticism and catching radius when it comes to that position rather than more intangible things like blocking, situational awareness (knowing the defenses as well as the QB and being on the same page with the QB), and route running.  Sure they get an idea at the combine about route running, but teams are really bad at assessing the position league wide.  Some of the busting has to do with poor player development and bad fits as well - the same is even more true for QBs.  In the latter example that is more on the team and there is a possibility for a career revival with a change of scenery - that's why you can't always write off players who bust.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting, can you share the data?

Football Reference

It's all on the site above.  Have to search by team and look at the draft history.   I took a look at the sites and determined status of each player from the stated time period.  I didn't export to excel or word though.  

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

What is a special teams play? An overwhelming majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and I'm not sure if he's on punt coverage. Zero tackles. He had 2 touches for -2 yards and 7 catches for 24 yards. His highlight is bouncing a ball off his chest for a pick 6 but they need him on the roster to slap a C on his chest. I would've much rather kept O'Leary.

The drafted players no longer in the NFL thing was funny. We have a drafted player this year that is no longer on the team and just got released from another team...Dubious, meaningless stat.

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What is a special teams play? An overwhelming majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and I'm not sure if he's on punt coverage. Zero tackles. He had 2 touches for -2 yards and 7 catches for 24 yards. His highlight is bouncing a ball off his chest for a pick 6 but they need him on the roster to slap a C on his chest. I would've much rather kept O'Leary.

The drafted players no longer in the NFL thing was funny. We have a drafted player this year that is no longer on the team and just got released from another team...Dubious, meaningless stat.

Call it what you want, but GMs get judged on drafting, free agents, and winning.  And when half the players you draft are off your roster within three years it's a bad look.   Whaley wasn't good at drafting, was below average in signing free agents, made one easy trade and the team was 42-54 while he was part of the organization.  Maybe he needed a few more Pat DiMarcos on his team and a few less Percy Harvins.

Not for nothing, the Bills are paying DiMarco 4,200,000 for 2017 and 2018.  Whaley paid Jerome Felton 5,182,441 over a two year period.   So if your complaint is about full backs you need to expand your scope of blame. 

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Maybe look up the Alabama schedule, because it's a joke.  It's on Google.  

Arkansas State gets a chuckle, La-Lafayette keeps it hilarious and they're rolling in the aisles when Citadel is the encore.

If you want to discuss Alabama, PM me. It’s completely irrelevant to this topic.

I didn't see the need to start a whole new thread on this, but of course, the Patriots did it again. They signed a guy they don't need right off the team they are playing this sunday.

Patriots signed TE Stephen Anderson to the practice squad.

Wouldn't you know it, the Patriots are about to play Anderson's former team Houston. A 2016 UDFA, Anderson had some 2017 fantasy relevance for the Texans' banged up tight end group, catching 25 passes for 342 yards. He will probably end up making regular season appearances this year, either in New England or elsewhere.
Related: Texans

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didn't see the need to start a whole new thread on this, but of course, the Patriots did it again. They signed a guy they don't need right off the team they are playing this sunday.

Wouldn't you know it, the Patriots are about to play Anderson's former team Houston. A 2016 UDFA, Anderson had some 2017 fantasy relevance for the Texans' banged up tight end group, catching 25 passes for 342 yards. He will probably end up making regular season appearances this year, either in New England or elsewhere.

Every time I think of the Texans playing the Pats, I think of the time they wore letterman’s jackets on the trip to NE to show they meant business. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I thought you weren't allowed to sign PS guys for your next opponent?

12 minutes ago, GG said:

I thought you weren't allowed to sign PS guys for your next opponent?

There is a rule that states a team cannot sign a player FROM an opposing teams PS the week before.

Anderson was waived by the Texans and it's legal to sign him to the PS.

Bellicheat has done this in the past.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1