Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

8 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

It really comes to to Josh Allen, who I think will be great, if Allen fails, then Beane fails. 

This is true in most cases.  Unless you have a defense that is absolutely dominant or a journeyman quarterback that becomes a star you won't survive a top 10 1st round QB bust as a GM.  Even though Whaley technically didn't draft Manuel as a GM, we'd all forgive his Watkins draft decision if EJ turned out to be our franchise guy.  Marrone would pry still be the head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Based on what? A few quarters of preseason?

We could tell who the players were last year in preseason. Poyer was great. Hyde was coming. This year who's the Poyer or Hyde? We could see Tre coming in preseason. Who's the Tre this year? Just my point of view but it looks like they drafted a lot of boom/bust players. Athletes who have to learn to be football players. It's a long season but that's what I got from this preseason. Except I like the DT Harrison Phillips. Who outside of him looks like a day one starter this year? What draft pick? 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

We could tell who the players were last year in preseason. Poyer was great. Hyde was coming. This year who's the Poyer or Hyde? We could see Tre coming in preseason. Who's the Tre this year? Just my point of view but it looks like they drafted a lot of boom/bust players. Athletes who have to learn to be football players. It's a long season but that's what I got from this preseason. Except I like the DT Harrison Phillips. Who outside of him looks like a day one starter this year? What draft pick? 

ray ray and murf come to mind for draft and FA pickups respectively.

After going through the 81 replies, the only people who make any sense are Simpleman, So Tier, Reddogblitz

and AllenWillBust. The rest of you guys are all dreamers. The NFL is a now league. Almost half the rosters

are overturned yearly, and the two guys running the show have proved inept so far.

By the way, I started the thread Season of Need trying to explain what we need and why this season and

administration looks like a bust, and some Global Moderator named Chandler81 did not like it, so he closed

it down.

I thought this board was for opinions, not for some moron  who didn't have the ability to disagree, to just

lock it and close it. What a clown. You don't like a negative opinion Chandler, stop living in the past, it is

2018 and Chandler is not coming back on the field. People like you are why people want to leave this board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

After going through the 81 replies, the only people who make any sense are Simpleman, So Tier, Reddogblitz

and AllenWillBust. The rest of you guys are all dreamers. The NFL is a now league. Almost half the rosters

are overturned yearly, and the two guys running the show have proved inept so far.

By the way, I started the thread Season of Need trying to explain what we need and why this season and

administration looks like a bust, and some Global Moderator named Chandler81 did not like it, so he closed

it down.

I thought this board was for opinions, not for some moron  who didn't have the ability to disagree, to just

lock it and close it. What a clown. You don't like a negative opinion Chandler, stop living in the past, it is

2018 and Chandler is not coming back on the field. People like you are why people want to leave this board.

Mods why is this troll still allowed to post?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

ray ray and murf come to mind for draft and FA pickups respectively.

"Murf" hasn't even played, or did I miss it? Ray Ray looks like a good gadget player and probably a nice 4th or 5th receiver, but you think he'll have the impact White or Hyde and Poyer displayed last year?

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

2017 draft gets credited to Beane or Whaley?

They want to give it to McDermott out of Whaley hate, but if it's McDermott he should have the same success. I don't see any player signed as good as Poyer and Hyde or any drafted as good as White. Maybe Allen becomes a star. Maybe Edmunds becomes a star. Maybe they don't. But the don't look like White at the beginning of 2017.

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

"Murf" hasn't even played, or did I miss it? Ray Ray looks like a good gadget player and probably a nice 4th or 5th receiver, but you think he'll have the impact White or Hyde and Poyer displayed last year?

You missed Marcus Murphy? Apparently you didn’t watch preseason 

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

They want to give it to McDermott out of Whaley hate, but if it's McDermott he should have the same success. I don't see any player signed as good as Poyer and Hyde or any drafted as good as White. Maybe Allen becomes a star. Maybe Edmunds becomes a star. Maybe they don't. But the don't look like White at the beginning of 2017.

This is asinine.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think this team is being built the correct way, They seemed to have focused on the defensive side of the ball this year and next year I expect a complete overhaul of the OL in FA and the draft, possibly another WR if one doesn't emerge this year.

Real question. With our lack of CB behind Tre, lack of pass rush, and bad LB corp. What will you think of the defense takes a step back after our “focus” on it this year? 

11 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Honestly none of this has anything to do with Beane. Beane's test starts this season. It's his roster to build. His free agents and draft picks. Last years roster was 90% Whaley.

I kind of think Bean and MCD real evaluation starts 2019. 

They had to clean up so much from past FO. 

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

McD. Whaley was a dead man walking after his debacle of a press conference and did not call any of the shots.

I think McD used a combination of Whaley's board and intel from Beane about the Panthers board to do the drafting..........but after seeing Brandon Beane's 180 degree different type of choices in FA I think the DNA of the high quality Hyde/Poyer additions was all Whaley.

Not too impressed so far by the work of McBeane's all-star cast of personnel evaluators that were purported to be huge upgrades over the guys that found Lorax and Zach Brown etc..

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I think McD used a combination of Whaley's board and intel from Beane about the Panthers board to do the drafting..........but after seeing Brandon Beane's 180 degree different type of choices in FA I think the DNA of the high quality Hyde/Poyer additions was all Whaley.

Not too impressed so far by the work of McBeane's all-star cast of personnel evaluators that were purported to be huge upgrades over the guys that found Lorax and Zach Brown etc..

I disagree on 2017 FA’s, still need to see how 2018 shakes out. Take Poyer for example. He was highly recommended by Bobby Babich who knew him in Cleveland. Babich told McD to bring him in and the rest is history. Now, Whaley may have made a couple phone calls for McD since he wasn’t doing anything else until he got canned, but that’s about it.

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

I disagree on 2017 FA’s, still need to see how 2018 shakes out. Take Poyer for example. He was highly recommended by Bobby Babich who knew him in Cleveland. Babich told McD to bring him in and the rest is history. Now, Whaley may have made a couple phone calls for McD since he wasn’t doing anything else until he got canned, but that’s about it.

I do believe that McD takes advice from people on personnel that he really shouldn't....that is something we've seen......like letting his idiot WR coach talk him into Zay Jones over JuJu(who Whaley reportedly wanted) or Dennison talking him into starting the thoroughly unprepared Peterman in LA.

But Bob Babich never even coached Poyer.    He's a LB coach who never even coached in the same division as Cleveland.    I mean that was one hot first-day-of-free agency stock tip.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do believe that McD takes advice from people on personnel that he really shouldn't....that is something we've seen......like letting his idiot WR coach talk him into Zay Jones over JuJu(who Whaley reportedly wanted) or Dennison talking him into starting the thoroughly unprepared Peterman in LA.

But Bob Babich never even coached Poyer.    He's a LB coach who never even coached in the same division as Cleveland.    I mean that was one hot first-day-of-free agency stock tip.

Not Bob the LBs coach... his son Bobby, the safeties coach.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-babich

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/694070001

“McDermott gives full credit to Babich for getting Poyer on his radar...”

Edited by Rico

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

McDermott. It was widely noted by observers during the draft that it seemed very un Whaley- ish, and someone else may have been calling the shots. Whaley and crew did the scouting reports, but that was McDermott’s draft to own. The decision to pass on a QB ( so the next GM could pick their guy) was probably his as well. 

Good point on Dareus, but McD needed to show the locker room that exceptions wouldn’t be made when effort was in question. 

Who have we drafted/ picked up in FA that fits a similar profile. Mediocre/Decent Pro’s that fit well into what we’re doing since that draft? 

Whaley might not have been the best ever, but Potter and Hyde for right into what his strong attribute is. And there is nothing about White or Dawkins that says anything that doesn’t fit that either. If anything 2018 is a drastically different draft than 2017. And 2017 fits the mood of the prior 3. Find guys that fit your HC through the draft, and guys through the bottom night not be the best l, but they’re ready to go. 

Right now we are waiting on Allen (which is fair, QB is different) and Edmunds. Who is probably better right now at OLB, playing out of position on day 1, and not ready to go. 

There is almost nothing similar in player selection between the 2017 and 2018 draft or FA. Sorry. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

Not Bob the LBs coach... his son Bobby, the safeties coach.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-babich

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/694070001

“McDermott gives full credit to Babich for getting Poyer on his radar...”

Once again, Whaley was not even part of the interview process to hire McD. McD specifically asked Pegs to exclude him and Pegs agreed. Whaley and the rest of his eventually fired staff made zero decisions regarding anything football once McD was hired. That’s ZERO.

Edited by Rico