Daboll's Regular Season Offense

eball

Am I the only fool excited to see how Daboll uses our good group of TEs and RBs in this offense?  We know the WR group isn't stellar but I think KB and ZJ will be adequate.  I'm expecting a lot of 22/21 personnel groupings and using these TEs to help the OL as well as provide targets over the middle.  Hell, we might see three TEs in the game at times.

Yes, thinking about the OL can give one nightmares, but the optimist in me believes Daboll isn't going to call plays that stress this group until/unless they gel.  How many teams have a better group of RBs and TEs than the Bills do?  I do understand that Croom and Lee are unproven in the regular season but they knocked Jack's boy off the roster, and Logan Thomas finally looks like he has completed the QB-to-TE transition and can be a playmaker.  He had a fantastic hands catch over the middle Thursday night during the comeback.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next Sunday.

• Like (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Am I the only fool excited to see how Daboll uses our good group of TEs and RBs in this offense?  We know the WR group isn't stellar but I think KB and ZJ will be adequate.  I'm expecting a lot of 22/21 personnel groupings and using these TEs to help the OL as well as provide targets over the middle.  Hell, we might see three TEs in the game at times.

Yes, thinking about the OL can give one nightmares, but the optimist in me believes Daboll isn't going to call plays that stress this group until/unless they gel.  How many teams have a better group of RBs and TEs than the Bills do?  I do understand that Croom and Lee are unproven in the regular season but they knocked Jack's boy off the roster, and Logan Thomas finally looks like he has completed the QB-to-TE transition and can be a playmaker.  He had a fantastic hands catch over the middle Thursday night during the comeback.

...should be interesting.....there were some flashes/quick glimpses during pre-season and then understandably vanilla.....definitely will need to be versatile and innovative.....and yes, I think Thomas had 3 nice grabs, much to the chagrin of Gunner Bill..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

i would love to see shades of this in the regular season. using the versatility of the rb's and te's to support the ol and the wr's could absolutely work. then, hopefully, as they all get a bit more comfortable and confident things could...could...start to click a bit better for the offense as a whole. then (again, hopefully) when the offense is set, they can bring in allen and try to add the long ball to the repertoire (if, as suspected, peterman starts the year). anyway, that's just my optimistic takeaway from your positive ponderings.  

I'm interested. Not sure excited because of line fears. If Nate plays I think we get murdered by 8-9 in box that will take away most of what you envision. 

I'm excited to see how he uses Ray Ray and Murphy to keep teams off balance. They won't play much but I see a bunch of jet sweeps, screens, bubble screens, reverses, etc with those guys as integral part of our offense. 

He's going to have to manufacture first downs. 

I’m excited for Sunday and the return of Bills football and the NFL. It will be interesting to see what Daboll does. I’d say he decides to play small ball with Pats style concepts, healthy doses of McCoy ,a few low risk shots over the top off play action. I’m fully expecting a double shot of reality with this offense, followed with continuing struggles on D that we saw in preseason. 

Nate (if starting) will need to be able to complete the 7 - 15 yard pass to help open up the running game, maybe a shot down the field once in a while if protection can hold up with some chip blocking by the TEs and RBs.  Quick timing routes looked to be Nate's forte this preseason.  Lets hope the pass can set up the run cause 8 - 9 in the box should be the base defense unless forced to respect the pass.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I’d be excited if we a good OL.  It’s hard to scheme your way around a bad line, though Gailey could to it to a degree.

You get the ball out on time,run some successful screens,draws and use a good pace the D gets tired and the pash rush slows down. 

My son & I were discussing Daboll's "preseason offense" just last night. The curious thing to me was it looked like he opened up with game #1 switching up the personnel groupings, and using a ton of pre snap movement, and game pace variations. Games 2,3 &4 were pretty much a vanilla man on man slugfest. The Defense pretty much was also straight up vanilla no stunts, no twists, and minimal blitz packages throughout preseason.

I almost feel that after the first game McDermott went to Daboll and said … "knock off playing preseason like they were game situations, what I want to see are man on man stress situations to see who has the grit to play on this team. We will perfect the fancy schamcy  dancy crap during our practice time."

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, macaroni said:

My son & I were discussing Daboll's "preseason offense" just last night. The curious thing to me was it looked like he opened up with game #1 switching up the personnel groupings, and using a ton of pre snap movement, and game pace variations. Games 2,3 &4 were pretty much a vanilla man on man slugfest. The Defense pretty much was also straight up vanilla no stunts, no twists, and minimal blitz packages throughout preseason.

I almost feel that after the first game McDermott went to Daboll and said … "knock off playing preseason like they were game situations, what I want to see are man on man stress situations to see who has the grit to play on this team. We will perfect the fancy schamcy  dancy crap during our practice time."

That's exactly what I thought. I was pretty excited after watching the first game. Then the next three were pretty bland. I could easily see McD tampering it down as you described. 

I think he’s forced to use his offense in ways that minimize exposure of a poor O line. We know what that is for the most part; ball out quickly, misdirection, screens, etc., avoiding  long down and distance situations and using a lot of max protect when we can’t. I just hope we can run the ball against the stacked boxes I think we’re gonna see a lot of. It ain’t so much what opponents know you can do, it’s what they know you can’t do that they exploit. 

I also suspect Daboll is a fan of mixing up the tempo a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Possibly

Another thought strikes me at this particular moment in time, Dr. WEO (may I call you Dr. WEO?). Clay's background was as a running back and as such, always a good runner with ball in hand. 

Croom on the other hand, former wide receiver. And LT is a big dude. I think they're both more natural high-pointers of the ball than Clay has ever been. 

It's another reason O'Leary is gone- what he did best is catch it and run with it, he was never a strong traditional in-line tight end. And with these other TEs around, maybe Clay can get back to some of that H-backy RAC stuff, always been the strength of his game. Making O'Leary totally expendable