Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

Let's put the 5 pick game into perspective...........

Tyrod was being criticized for being too cautious with the ball.

McD and Dennison decided to give Peterman the start in LA, probably because they wanted him to throw the ball more.

The expectation was that Peterman would be able to complete more passes because he had a faster read and release than Tyrod.

That was the coaches decision, just throw the damn ball !!

So the decision to start Peterman over Tyrod didn't go over very well with some on the BB O Line.

We all saw the tape of a miked up Joey Bosa running to the sideline yelling, "they're not even trying to block me"

The results were a combination of a determined coaching staff, and a 5th round draft pick getting his first shot at a start in the NFL,

after he had been told to just throw the damn ball.

The reason there are no other 5 interception games in one half in the NFL is because there aren't any other  OC's in the league

who would have kept calling for passing plays after watching a very rattled 5th round rookie QB in his first game struggle.

Dennison and McD must have been telling Peterman after each inception to put it all behind him and keep throwing the damn ball.

They could have just handed the ball of to Shady and let the game go...............but they didn't.

They left Peterman out there to pee all over himself.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

You live it down by being successful and winning. Then it just becomes an anecdote and not your identity.  Peterman throws 5 TD's in a game and  it all balances out. Now he has to go do it.

Hard to live it down through great play when the fanbase is getting pitchforks and torches when his name is brought up as a potential starter.

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is stupid.  I don't believe this one bit.

Do you believe bosa being mic'd up telling his teammates that the oline wasn't even trying to block him?

The tape says that he was right.

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is stupid.  I don't believe this one bit.

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Hard to live it down through great play when the fanbase is getting pitchforks and torches when his name is brought up as a potential starter.

Do you believe bosa being mic'd up telling his teammates that the oline wasn't even trying to block him?

It's ridiculous and all anyone need do is look back at the TNF game against the NYJ with the OL getting absolutely dominated. 

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

The thought of that just irks me.  I know it could happen, but wouldn't want someone out there purposely allowing my QB to get slaughtered to prove a point and potentially get the guy hurt.  

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

The thought of that just irks me.  I know it could happen, but wouldn't want someone out there purposely allowing my QB to get slaughtered to prove a point and potentially get the guy hurt.  

I agree completely.

I would lose my mind as a coach, as a player who that was done to, and as a teammate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree completely.

I would lose my mind as a coach, as a player who that was done to, and as a teammate.

And yet the ones who that statement would apply to are still on the team, still starting, and one is considered a leader by the coaching staff.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And yet the ones who that statement would apply to are still on the team, still starting, and one is considered a leader by the coaching staff.

Well if somebody does it himself, and doesn't tell anybody, it's hard to prove.

12 hours ago, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross.

Look, it will only be the big story about Peterman so long as he doesn't create bigger stories.  If he starts against Baltimore and throws 5 TD in the game, then follows up with a few more good games, it'll sink to the bottom.

The NFL and news coverage is all about "what have you done for me lately"

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Would McDermott stand for that kind of rebellion and then allow anyone who was involved to still be on the team in 2018?  It's pure fantasy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, it will only be the big story about Peterman so long as he doesn't create bigger stories.  If he starts against Baltimore and throws 5 TD in the game, then follows up with a few more good games, it'll sink to the bottom.

The NFL and news coverage is all about "what have you done for me lately"

Even then it'd be a statement like 'Look how far he's progressed from that dreadful 5 pick outing in LA!' or something to that effect. At least for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What you saw was a lack of pocket mobility, total panic, a complete loss of composure, and no regard for ball security. 

Well, sure, but "Other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, How did you like the Play?"

Seriously, he's not the only young QB to show these traits and live to play a better game or 12.  He set a record for INTs, is the main thing notable - until someone takes it from him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

The reason there are no other 5 interception games in one half in the NFL is because there aren't any other  OC's in the league

who would have kept calling for passing plays after watching a very rattled 5th round rookie QB in his first game struggle.

Dennison and McD must have been telling Peterman after each inception to put it all behind him and keep throwing the damn ball.

Correct. I blame Dennison for that game as much as Peterman. You're starting a rookie QB with less than a full week of practice as the starter, on the road, against a nasty defense. The game plan was terrible for that situation. I also blame Dennison for the pick he had at the end of the playoff game. Ooh I have an idea, let's have Peterman throw an outside curl route to a mediocre receiver who's covered by one of the best CBs in the league on the last drive of the game. Dennison should have been fired before the clock ran out.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He tied the record for most picks in a first start in half a game. It's going to be on him forever the only thing he can change is the perception of it. If he somehow becomes very successful in the league it's  a funny anecdote if he flames out then it was a sign of things to come.

I thought he held the record uncontested.

The rest is right.  If he moves on from it and it motivates him, it's an anecdote.  If he flames out in his next start and does likewise, it's his epitaph.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Even then it'd be a statement like 'Look how far he's progressed from that dreadful 5 pick outing in LA!' or something to that effect. At least for a while.

This is the basic point I was trying to make--I did not intend to start another endless debate about whether or not Peterman is a terrible QB, with people repeating opinions they have given a thousand times already. 

• Like (+1) 1