O Line Troubles Start With It's Coach !!

T master

The strength the Oline the last few years was from Center to the left side.  With the sudden departures of Wood, and Incognito the Bills are now stuck filling those positions with backups.  The Bills gave away alot of draft capital to get Edmunds and Allen which could have been used on the line.  It's always pick your poison with this stuff.

The OLine will shake out and is probably on the list next year for upgrades with the 100 million in cap space we will have.  

How do we know the blame falls on Castillo?

IN theory he should be more aware of what's going on with the OL than anyone on the staff.

How do we know that he hasn't been harping on the need for upgrades but getting vetoed by Beane b/c it's not the right time or he can't afford to divert resources in that area or God knows what?

How the hell does any fan, exactly, throw this on a coach?

You have no idea---none---what is going on behind closed doors.

They have no talent on that line, and that has more to do with the success of the line. Incognito and Wood were pro-bowlers, and I don’t think we have half the talent we did last year. 

Or it could just be the coaching...

My problem with Castillo is he brought Vlad.  We lost good players and he brought us worse players.   Had he brought over a decent guard last year and benched Miller I'd have been ok with it, but MIller was benched for Vlad and this year he's been terrible.  Both have been pretty bad.   Now if they didn't have faith in Miller as a starter last year why do they this year?   They never looked to upgrade the position knowing going in that Wood was gone and then Incognito followed shortly after.   

They weren't blindsided with losing both guys last week, this was at the beginning of the offseason, plenty of time to fix it. Now Wyatt Teller is outplaying both Vlad and Miller and he's stuck on the 2nd team, and for that i DO blame Castillo he's holding on to guys he knows vs playing the best 5 and that is Bull crap.  

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

OLine troubles start with replacing 2 pro bowl caliber players with two backup caliber players. Not much Beane could do this off season tho to address that with all the other issues needing to be fixed so he did what he could. 

This off season was all about getting the QB they wanted

It all starts in the trenches. I agree about the QB part. But there were plenty of picks after round 1, or round 2, to get guys to help protect better that round 1 QB.

27 minutes ago, kota said:

The strength the Oline the last few years was from Center to the left side.  With the sudden departures of Wood, and Incognito the Bills are now stuck filling those positions with backups.  The Bills gave away alot of draft capital to get Edmunds and Allen which could have been used on the line.  It's always pick your poison with this stuff.

The OLine will shake out and is probably on the list next year for upgrades with the 100 million in cap space we will have.  

If the strength of the OL the past few years has been LT, LG, and C, and we drafted a rookie QB, and have two very inexperienced vets as QB's, why wasn't the right side of the line addressed/upgraded?  Regardless of the left side of the line, they knew the position they were going to be at with the QB, and the right side remained exactly the same. It is kind BS to pin this on Incognito and Wood given the lack of other meaningful moves on the OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The problem is talent, not Castillo. Castillo coached the Eagles' offensive line from 1998-2010, and they finished in the top 12 in points in 9 of those seasons and the top 11 in yards in 7 of those seasons.  Using Football Outsiders' DVOA metric, from 2001-10, the Eagles' offense finished in the top 12 nine out of ten years and the top 10 seven out of ten years. 

....shouldn't he be responsible for teaching and coaching up perceived talent he has to work with?.....secondly, if everything is the "scheme's fault", shouldn't he be adamant about the scheme being an attempt to fit round peg in square hole?....it ain't workin'........I'm pretty sure Daboll there would not be a sole scheme "cast in stone", but rather "scheme specific", tailored to the opposition's defensive tendencies....

I always thought he sucked too plays favorites etc.....but everyone who has played for him says he's a great coach so I don't know what to say. Even retired guys that could say what ever that wanted to.

I know this- he's not throwing a single block on the field at some point it falls on the players

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

We had an excellent OL coach with a great record of success.  His name was Aaron Kromer.  He was under contract and ours if we wanted him.

Instead, McCoach outsmarted himself. 

...interestingly, Mike Tice retired because he said, "players no longer want to be coached"....

4 hours ago, T master said:

Sorry i don't usually like to be a hater & still don't think i am being a "hater" per say but Juan Castillo has never really done any thing for me or relevant in the NFL ! Oh he did get SB ring with the Ravens because they brought him on as a irrelevant assistants assistant near the end of the year they won the SB that's the reason why he has a SB ring but other than that & that he has a bunch of experience at coaching he really hasn't proven he's a winning coach at his chosen trade !

I never did like the choice of him by McD because i remember the debacle in Philly with Andy Reid when he got fired from there because of changing him from one coaching position to another . Here's some old reading material about all that & notice who Castillo took over in place of !! 

https://philly.sbnation.com/2012/10/17/3517294/revisiting-the-juan-castillo-hiring 

I think he is a good person kind of like the Tyrod thing ! A great person, great work ethic, good leader, but when it comes to results it just doesn't come to be & if last years tape & this years 2 preseason games, the one AJ started & then this one with Allen starting shows anything then it could be time to move on already !

Sure i know you all will say what every one else is saying about the loss of Wood & Incognito that the O line is in flux but a good coach can at the very least see the strengths of the players he has & devise something that looks better than what was seen on the field for the start of the last 2 preseason games ! 

Also with the Rookie talent they have gotten in the draft & the fact that no one on the team can see that Ducasse & Mills are average at best & that Castillo was more than likely one that wants to keep Ducasse in the line up as a starter sends a huge red flag to me ! Yes i am only a fan but I've  seen Ducasse & read other so called experts say he is past his prime & it shows ! 

Mills has been talked about as being such for 2 yrs & he's still a starter so if he can't see that weakness how can things get any better ?

It all starts up front & on both sides of the ball & we saw the difference in the Bills D when it went from Shwartz to Rex & when they changed & brought Kromer in to be the O line coach, so coaching is HUGE !! 

IMHO this guy (Castillo) ain't getting it done & I hope McBean sees it sooner rather than later !! If not it could be a short honeymoon !!

At this point, I think our O-Line troubles start with a lack of talent.

Our best 3 linemen from the last several years (Eric Wood, Ritchie Incognito and Cordy Glenn) were all lost within a single offseason. 

Only Glenn has been adequately replaced, and Dion Dawkins was injured/did not play yesterday.

Vlad Ducasse and John Miller both struggled horribly at Right Guard last season.  This year, both are unquestioned starters. 

Jordan Mills has been a weak spot for years.  This year, he's the most experienced starter.

Neither Ryan Groy or Russell Bodine have been able to snatch the starting job, which is always a bad sign.

Maybe Castillo will prove to be a poor coach as well, but right now he's working with crap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

While Castillo should share lots of the blame, at the end of the day the Bills really don't have much talent on their o line

Brady hasn't always had much talent at WR but he's the GOAT and then there's Belichek need i say more ? 

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

We had an excellent OL coach with a great record of success.  His name was Aaron Kromer.  He was under contract and ours if we wanted him.

I agree 150%  but L.A. is awfully glad & look at what their offense has came from & went to just since he's came there .

But according to others replying to this post coaching has nothing to do with it it's all talent based . Okay Den !! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Shiite. I forgot about Kromer. That’s kind of ruined my day now. Thanks for the reminder...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I thought Aaron Kromer did not want to be in Buffalo, but wanted to follow Anthony Lynn out to LA.  So McD let him go.  Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it is what I thought I remember happening.

• Like (+1) 1