O Line Troubles Start With It's Coach !!

T master

Sorry i don't usually like to be a hater & still don't think i am being a "hater" per say but Juan Castillo has never really done any thing for me or relevant in the NFL ! Oh he did get SB ring with the Ravens because they brought him on as a irrelevant assistants assistant near the end of the year they won the SB that's the reason why he has a SB ring but other than that & that he has a bunch of experience at coaching he really hasn't proven he's a winning coach at his chosen trade !

I never did like the choice of him by McD because i remember the debacle in Philly with Andy Reid when he got fired from there because of changing him from one coaching position to another . Here's some old reading material about all that & notice who Castillo took over in place of !! 

https://philly.sbnation.com/2012/10/17/3517294/revisiting-the-juan-castillo-hiring 

I think he is a good person kind of like the Tyrod thing ! A great person, great work ethic, good leader, but when it comes to results it just doesn't come to be & if last years tape & this years 2 preseason games, the one AJ started & then this one with Allen starting shows anything then it could be time to move on already !

Sure i know you all will say what every one else is saying about the loss of Wood & Incognito that the O line is in flux but a good coach can at the very least see the strengths of the players he has & devise something that looks better than what was seen on the field for the start of the last 2 preseason games ! 

Also with the Rookie talent they have gotten in the draft & the fact that no one on the team can see that Ducasse & Mills are average at best & that Castillo was more than likely one that wants to keep Ducasse in the line up as a starter sends a huge red flag to me ! Yes i am only a fan but I've  seen Ducasse & read other so called experts say he is past his prime & it shows ! 

Mills has been talked about as being such for 2 yrs & he's still a starter so if he can't see that weakness how can things get any better ?

It all starts up front & on both sides of the ball & we saw the difference in the Bills D when it went from Shwartz to Rex & when they changed & brought Kromer in to be the O line coach, so coaching is HUGE !! 

IMHO this guy (Castillo) ain't getting it done & I hope McBean sees it sooner rather than later !! If not it could be a short honeymoon !!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

While Castillo should share lots of the blame, at the end of the day the Bills really don't have much talent on their o line

This.  I'm not a Castillo fan, but let's get a couple of things straight here. 

1. Castillo didn't decide on the zone blocking scheme the Bills changed to in 2017 and have kept in 2018.  That was Dennison and Daboll.
  2. Castillo didn't decide to bring in Ducasse or Newhouse or Bodine.  He didn't let Seantrell Henderson walk in FA or trade away Cordy Glenn.  He didn't ignore OL in the draft until very late in the fifth round, either.  Those "sins" all sit squarely on McDermott and Beane.

IOW, Castillo is dealing with the hand he's been dealt by those higher up the Bills food chain than assistant coach.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The problem is talent, not Castillo. Castillo coached the Eagles' offensive line from 1998-2010, and they finished in the top 12 in points in 9 of those seasons and the top 11 in yards in 7 of those seasons.  Using Football Outsiders' DVOA metric, from 2001-10, the Eagles' offense finished in the top 12 nine out of ten years and the top 10 seven out of ten years. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The problem is talent, not Castillo. Castillo coached the Eagles' offensive line from 1998-2010, and they finished in the top 12 in points in 9 of those seasons and the top 11 in yards in 7 of those seasons.  Using Football Outsiders' DVOA metric, from 2001-10, the Eagles' offense finished in the top 12 nine out of ten years and the top 10 seven out of ten years. 

Nah, I want to still hate Castillo, stop with this stuff?. I do think talent is the main issue, though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

He did what football coaches do...hired a guy because he knew him..certainly can't be solely based on past success.

Maybe he should have taken the Daboll route with many of his hires....you know actually look outside the box.

Castillo has actually had a lot of success in the past. I don't even blame him for last season -- that falls on their garbage OC. 

I think we need to approach this year with skepticism.  We have a dumpster fire on our hands at o line, the big glaring reason but not the only is the disappearance of Wood and Incognito.  A talent flush.  

The silver lining is that we have a lot of cap space next year, the draft is deep at tackle (but not guard or center) but the free agent market is deep at all three OL positions.  

I trust the law firm of McDermott and Beane to get us some help but it won't come very soon.  

Hoping some creativity on offense, some run game help from Shady and Dawkins' return can mask some of our woes.  I'm not sold on Peterman as starter but he does not hold on to the ball as much as Allen.  

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This.  I'm not a Castillo fan, but let's get a couple of things straight here. 

1. Castillo didn't decide on the zone blocking scheme the Bills changed to in 2017 and have kept in 2018.  That was Dennison and Daboll.
  2. Castillo didn't decide to bring in Ducasse or Newhouse or Bodine.  He didn't let Seantrell Henderson walk in FA or trade away Cordy Glenn.  He didn't ignore OL in the draft until very late in the fifth round, either.  Those "sins" all sit squarely on McDermott and Beane.

IOW, Castillo is dealing with the hand he's been dealt by those higher up the Bills food chain than assistant coach.

Yeah, losing Seantrel Henderson was a huge loss. How will we ever survive?  As was Glenn, who didn't play hardly at all because of injury.

The O line needs help to be sure.  Groy needs to get back to playing as he did when Wood got hurt a couple seasons ago.  They need to let Teller in there, at least he won't get manhandled.  But to bring up Seantrel Henderson as an indictment against Beane and McDermott is just a ridiculous stretch by someone who seeks to do nothing around here but be critical.

This OL is a hot mess from the starting five. Heaven forbid someone gets hurt as we have no depth outside of Teller. It’s going to turnstile city this year trying to pass block. I normally discount the preseason but our OL is consistently losing basic one on one matches. Our coaches would have to be blind not to have the same concerns.