pretty incredible (and horrible) stats-deaths in college fb

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I knows it's not college and I know it is tangential, but Dave back more than 30 years ago in high school they would actually call you a baby and p***y if you were thirsty during double sessions.  You had to beg for water and you were looked down upon for doing so.  If you didn't want any part of that you weren't a man.

...ridiculous.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I knows it's not college and I know it is tangential, but Dave back more than 30 years ago in high school they would actually call you a baby and p***y if you were thirsty during double sessions.  You had to beg for water and you were looked down upon for doing so.  If you didn't want any part of that you weren't a man.

...ridiculous.  

My HS coach was supposedly like this before I got there.  I played in the late 90's and we were required to drink water at every break.  The reason was a few years earlier, a football player at a rival HS died on the field from overheating/dehydration.  

We were also required to wear full t-shirts under our pads...no more belly shirts.  The reason was a wet t-shirt provides coolness.  That's one thing that I actually liked because it does help cool you down.

• Like (+1) 2

Before I played in HS,I played for Airlanes (Tyro/Pop Warner).I remember being so thirsty during practices,when somebody came around with a plastic water bottle it was like Christmas morning and you only got one long squirt(ounce?).I never once dropped from dehydration in those young years but I saw other kids fall.These were early mid 70's days.We were also told not to go swimming...I still can't figure out the reasoning behind that advice.

Edited by Misterbluesky

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My HS coach was supposedly like this before I got there.  I played in the late 90's and we were required to drink water at every break.  The reason was a few years earlier, a football player at a rival HS died on the field from overheating/dehydration.  

We were also required to wear full t-shirts under our pads...no more belly shirts.  The reason was a wet t-shirt provides coolness.  That's one thing that I actually liked because it does help cool you down.

Royale, in my older brothers day he had worse than I did.

I never complained.  None of us could.  We just had to take it...if we wanted to be men.  :censored:

25 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Before I played in HS,I played for Airlines (Tyro/Pop Warner).I remember being so thirsty during practices,when somebody came around with a plastic water bottle it was like Christmas morning and you only got one long squirt(ounce?).I never once dropped from dehydration in those young years but I saw other kids fall.These were early mid 70's days.We were also told not to go swimming...I still can't figure out the reasoning behind that advice.

MB, pee-wee football is back more now than I ever noticed it before.  Part of why I notice it is because I witnessed at parks, late in the fall, practices seemingly going on until almost 9 o'clock at night.  I turn to tell my wife, "you gotta be kidding me?!"

I've also seen videos, I think one may have been from HBO's Real Sports, where kids in pee-wee get their bell rung by another kid and the coaches are laughing and high-fiving it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

pee-wee football is back more now than I ever noticed it before.

oh AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT GOES ON AT PEEWEE. You think College is bad, ain't nobody talking about the peewee junction boys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 a days and 3 a days become the norm in high level football 

Running suicides for 1 hour straight till kids dropped or walked off and quit... 

No water breaks till the WHOLE TEAM completes the suicides in their given time frame. 300lb lineman had 1 minute 

my defensive backs unit had 50 seconds... 1 person didn’t make it, going again...

they made us do it till kids were throwing up , falling over and quitting...

thank God nobody ever died

35 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It's weird to up vote bad news, but I know you get what I mean when doing it, PT!

yep, this isn't anything different from the past 50 years. It's terrible, but it's getting better I suppose.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Good article, but no one will care unless they are told to by the mass media.  And the only thing that would make the mass media care is if a parent put a bullet in a coach's head in retaliation.

I've used the term "neanderthals" when talking about the old school football mentality of coaches and people who post here with antiquated ideas and "this is how we did it when I was in diapers." And you are merely reinforcing that and the prehistoric blast in this article.

So let me dissect your Drumpf-ian response. 

1. First, how can we know if the media doesn't report it? Are we supposed to be everywhere at once, watching sports practice, legislative meetings, car shows, concerts, and every other event simultaneously? We can't care about what we don't know about. Hence the value of the media in America, whether it suits your needs, agenda, or ideology. So since we care, we're merely lemmings to the media, waiting for them to tell us how to feel? 

2. If the mass media only cared is a parent killed a coach, how do you explain this article, which isn't covering the murder of a coach by a vengeful parent but merely reporting that football, in college (and I would argue everywhere) is run by neaderthals who refuse to evolve to science, technology, and human psychology and remain as outdated as the arguments in favor of suicide drills and two a days in 100 degree heat.

I bet I can surmise a lot of your ideology about government, people, immigration, and trade based on this moronic post dripping with implications and innuendo. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm actually pretty surprised at that deodorant commercial with the coach that says "No one drinks until this guy sweats".  Yes, I know it's just a TVC, but I work with lots of large companies and I can tell you that there are several that wouldn't make that spot.  Funny how Fortune 500's get nervous when promoting a concept that could kill someone...

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...ridiculous.  

Times were so different. Imagine, in some of the old Tour de France water used to be like 2 bottles per race. Now it's all about performance while back in the day it was all about attrition and showing you're tough. Even past warriors had brutal rituals. I prefer how we do it today TBH! 

• Like (+1) 1

The tragedy here is that heat stroke is so preventable.  It's not like the problem the NFL (andthe NHL and soccer leagues etc.) has with concussions.  CThere is violence inherent in several sports and concussions are a vexing problem to try and solve.  But a coach only needs a modicum of common sensse to preven heat exhaustion.

25 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The tragedy here is that heat stroke is so preventable.  It's not like the problem the NFL (andthe NHL and soccer leagues etc.) has with concussions.  CThere is violence inherent in several sports and concussions are a vexing problem to try and solve.  But a coach only needs a modicum of common sensse to preven heat exhaustion.

Yep. I wonder how guilty Durkin feels.

The human race is so incredibly stupid. We need to be saved from ourselves. 

The day our robot overlords take over can't come soon enough.

Hell this was standard when I played in the late 90s and early 2000s. We went winless. 7 years later my little brother's team won their state class championship. Wonder if it was at all related?

Could also just be we were terrible and coached by substitute gym teachers. Who knows?

Edited by BullBuchanan