Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's fine if you don't like Schopp... I don't like him either.

I also love Josh Allen.

But Josh Allen did not have a good handful of seasons at Wyoming. He didn't even make 1st team or 2nd team All Mountain West Conference at QB. All counting stats, Allen wasn't very good ... and his coach was the guy that coached Carson Wentz to a pretty dominant college career in a similarly bad conference.

The reason the Bills drafted him and some of us liked him is during the draft process and combine he got a lot better and showed improvement in mechanics ... and showed himself to be very coachable. Plus the obvious physical tools. If people strictly looked at his college career, he would be a 2nd round pick or later, at best. So ... Schopp is right in this case. There's a reason people were so angry when we drafted Allen, despite how high his ceiling is. 

I'm not a Schopp fan.  I don't catch his comment on SEC defense, but I agree.  I didn't find anything overtly stupid about his reaction to Josh Allen thus far.  He didn't have a great career at Wyoming, but he's shown ideal physical and mental traits for a QB .

It seems like Murphy does his best to find something positive about calls, Schopp does his best to find something negative. I remember a pre-draft first round pick discussion back in 2003 where callers were supposed to pick the Bill's first pick. Absolutely lamb basted the guy that picked McGahee. Not sure why that sticks out in my mind 15 years later, maybe because I pretty much stopped listening to him after that.

2 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I like Schopp and agree with him most of the time.  Guess I’m in the minority of listeners that post on this board.

Have to take him for what he is. Basically the anti-Sal C. Which I guess can be healthy. It's very clear he does not take the rah-rah position basically ever. Not saying other hosts are all rah-rah and pro-team, but he def is on the other side of the spectrum. 

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I guess they're only good if they parrot what you want to hear? I don't always agree with their takes, but I think the complaints are way overblown unless you need validation of your opinions.

How can you take someone seriously when they admit they don't care enough to pay full attention to the team they supposedly cover?

• Like (+1) 1

I guess the main thing that irritates me when listening is NOT that he or Bulldog have an opinion that is different than mine...but that they genuinely seem to just not like the Bills (which, again is fine in itself...but its a Buffalo radio station and the flagship of the Buffalo Bills).  I don't think he has to be a homer but he complains about everything that the Bills do and when they make a good move or win his reaction most times is "yeah...ok".  Its like he can't allow himself to be happy.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I guess they're only good if they parrot what you want to hear? I don't always agree with their takes, but I think the complaints are way overblown unless you need validation of your opinions.

BullBuchanan, my good fellow, if YE OLE may... 

Far be it for YE OLE to speak for the masses, but the overwhelming issue with Schopp doesn’t seem to be that he disagrees with callers, but moreso how he treats callers. Sometimes people call in with takes that are pretty out there, and other times callers will have something to say that’s quite reasonable. Without any rhyme or reason Schopp will decide to take the next several minutes on air to sarcastically poke fun at said caller. It’s not in a manner of genuine disagreement, but it’s more in the spirit of what an idiot that last guy was... in some cases this act will dominate the remainder of the show.

If you listen to someone like Sal, he’ll often disagree, but tell you why he feels that way and shares insight into his actual thoughts. He still acts appreciative that you called his show and it generally makes people want to continue to listen and participate in the discussion.

Aside from that, others have mentioned he has used his show as a vehicle to promote “social justice.” There’s nothing inherently wrong with this, and YE OLE, himself, is quite politically involved and follows news closely... but there’s a point where it’s exhausting if it bleeds too deeply into sports talk. Many people like to tune in to sports talk to get away from other aspects of the world for a while. It’s not to say there aren’t genuinely political issues that are relevant to discuss as it relates to the NFL and other sports leagues, but Schopp reaches for it at all times and that can be exhausting. An example that sticks out in my mind is his opinion of Carson Wentz. Prior to last season he stated on multiple occasions that he wasn’t a fan of a Wentz and how he didn’t get all the hype about him. He went a step further indicating that it was because he was this white QB who met this prototypical mould and if he was black he would be an afterthought. It’s fine that Schopp feels the way he does, but my opinion, and I believe the opinion of much of his audience, is that most people are growing fatigued of Schopp’s insistence to make race a part of that discussion all of the time.

Again, people can choose to tune in or tune out, but it seems many are limiting the amount they listen to the guy and a lot of it surrounds some combination of these things. If there was an alternative, many people would probably tune in. Just YE OLE’s thoughts for what it’s worth.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wagon127 said:

It is unfortunate that there is no alternative aside from choosing which time of day to listen too. Unfortunately right before Schopp and the Bulldog is the exact opposite program, John Murphy and Steve Tasker. The show that just talks about how everything is great. After listening to that show for 5-10 minutes, Schopp and the Bulldog are actually a breathe of fresh air, because they sound much more realistic. I'm sorry, but we are bashing Schopp for hating on Josh Allen, half this board was anti-Josh Allen before they drafted him. Schopp isn't the only one who didn't like the pick.

My disdain for Schopp has not a thing to do with how he feels about Josh Allen. It started way before we ever heard of Josh Allen. Realistic? No more than the other show just on the negative leaning rather than a positive leaning. Sports radio on WGR is bad across the board.

5 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

BullBuchanan, my good fellow, if YE OLE may... 

Far be it for YE OLE to speak for the masses, but the overwhelming issue with Schopp doesn’t seem to be that he disagrees with callers, but moreso how he treats callers. Sometimes people call in with takes that are pretty out there, and other times callers will have something to say that’s quite reasonable. Without any rhyme or reason Schopp will decide to take the next several minutes on air to sarcastically poke fun at said caller. It’s not in a manner of genuine disagreement, but it’s more in the spirit of what an idiot that last guy was... in some cases this act will dominate the remainder of the show.

If you listen to someone like Sal, he’ll often disagree, but tell you why he feels that way and shares insight into his actual thoughts. He still acts appreciative that you called his show and it generally makes people want to continue to listen and participate in the discussion.

Aside from that, others have mentioned he has used his show as a vehicle to promote “social justice.” There’s nothing inherently wrong with this, and YE OLE, himself, is quite politically involved and follows news closely... but there’s a point where it’s exhausting if it bleeds too deeply into sports talk. Many people like to tune in to sports talk to get away from other aspects of the world for a while. It’s not to say there aren’t genuinely political issues that are relevant to discuss as it relates to the NFL and other sports leagues, but Schopp reaches for it at all times and that can be exhausting. An example that sticks out in my mind is his opinion of Carson Wentz. Prior to last season he stated on multiple occasions that he wasn’t a fan of a Wentz and how he didn’t get all the hype about him. He went a step further indicating that it was because he was this white QB who met this prototypical mould and if he was black he would be an afterthought. It’s fine that Schopp feels the way he does, but my opinion and I believe the opinion of much of his audience, is that most people are growing fatigued of Schopp’s insistence to make race a part of that discussion all of the time.

Again, people can choose to tune in or tune out, but it seems many are limiting the amount they listen to the guy and a lot of it surrounds some combination of these things. If there was an alternative, many people would probably tune in. Just YE OLE’s thoughts for what it’s worth.

Thank you for saying what is in my heart lol

I don't get his obsession with Tyrod. He always defends him anytime someone calls and says he wasn't good. Tyrod was good at a few things and that's about it. He wasn't good at throwing the ball or reading the field. Schoop is almost borderline when it comes to if the bills should've let Tyrod go. Then there's the Lamar Jackson crap he spewed before the draft. Jackson is a long way off from being a legit starting qb. He looked downright awful last night. I'd even say Ej manuel looked like Drew brees in preseason compared to him. I do think he makes some good points sometimes, but 99% of the time he sounds like he hates his life. Bulldog Imo is a much more down to earth, logical host vs schoop

Edited by Steptide

Schopp's a arrogant friggin' weenie of the L-7 variety.

First, I can understand how a lot of radio hosts would get burned out on taking calls from uninformed or clueless callers. And it certainly seems like they take those types of calls more often than not. So I can see them getting snippy or snotty with someone who calls in with a ridiculous suggestion or just flat-out has no clue what they're talking about. What I can't see, is how often guys like him double down on their opinions when met with a solid counter-argument. Case in point, several years ago when I would tune into the show during my drive home, a fan called up and simply said, "I tried telling this to Jeremy this morning but he didn't like it, so, I wanted to know what you guys think ab-" *click* Schopp hung up on the kid and said, "No. Uh uh, you do not call into MY show and take a shot at one of MY guys on MY station. No way." I was like, WTF? All the kid said was that he had a different opinion than White and Schopp sees that as "taking a shot at one of his guys?" Completely ridiculous. So that there pretty much sealed it for me and I quit listening to them. Many of these sports personalities, whether it's radio, TV, journalists, etc. come off very arrogant and egotistical in a "I have this job so obviously I know more than you, peon" type of attitudes. Time and again I see quality tweets wherein a fan has a great counter-point to an opinion posted by a "well respected" writer or analyst and they'll completely ignore tweets like those and instead engage with the trolls or get all up on their high horse and call out the easy targets (i.e. the uninformed fans that post nonsense). 

And he can bandwagon with Lamar Jackson all he wants but thusfar, Lamar has been the one that has shown the least amount of promise out of the five first-round QBs that came out this year.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

Schopp thinks he is on a higher plain than everyone else and comes off as arrogant. Not a good look for a call-in sports show host.

Mensa is the largest and oldest high IQ society in the world.[3][4][5] It is a non-profit organization open to people who score at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardized, supervised IQ or other approved intelligence test.

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I like Schopp and agree with him most of the time.  Guess I’m in the minority of listeners that post on this board.

I like Schoop and BD too. I think the hate on here comes from the type of fans that take things said about the Bills personally. I tend to agree with Schoop most of the time, so maybe I’m an arrogant !@#$ too, lol.

To the OP:

The best way to hit Schopp where it hurts is to create a multi-page thread about him with a link to his broadcasting!

DC Tom just called.  He said you're an idiot.

52 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I like Schoop and BD too. I think the hate on here comes from the type of fans that take things said about the Bills personally. I tend to agree with Schoop most of the time, so maybe I’m an arrogant !@#$ too, lol.

I find that the dumber posters here are, the more they hate S&B.  As a general rule. 

Also, there is no doubt Schopp can be rude to some callers, and a lot of folks here really dislike that.

But that is usually simply an expression of Schopp's disdain for callers' utter lack of intelligence or knowledge about what they are talking about.  The caliber of most callers to their show is really, really poor.  Most are incapable of critical thought or offering an argument in support of their assertions, and frequently reference player/coach names incorrectly. 

After 18 or however many years of listening to that stuff, I would imagine you get a little frustrated. 

As I've said many times before, Schopp would be benefited personally by working in a much larger market.  For whatever reason, he remains in WNY.  He seems to be the homer type, who lives now on the same little Grand Island where he was raised.  Lots of WNYers are like that.  Heck, lots of people are like that.

16 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's fine if you don't like Schopp... I don't like him either.

I also love Josh Allen.

But Josh Allen did not have a good handful of seasons at Wyoming. He didn't even make 1st team or 2nd team All Mountain West Conference at QB. All counting stats, Allen wasn't very good ... and his coach was the guy that coached Carson Wentz to a pretty dominant college career in a similarly bad conference.

The reason the Bills drafted him and some of us liked him is during the draft process and combine he got a lot better and showed improvement in mechanics ... and showed himself to be very coachable. Plus the obvious physical tools. If people strictly looked at his college career, he would be a 2nd round pick or later, at best. So ... Schopp is right in this case. There's a reason people were so angry when we drafted Allen, despite how high his ceiling is. 

Exactly.

Early in that interview, Schopp said "Well the Bills have been mediocre for a lot of years".

Which of course, is true. 

I suspect the OP got pissed off right there and decided the entire segment was rubbish.

• Like (+1) 1

why do ya'll keep getting upset at this stuff. I don't even know who Schopp is. And I'm glad I don't know some random radio host. I have to listen to The Ticket in Dallas. Literally the most obnoxious fan cult following radio station ever.. that everybody listens to.