Sam Darnold Officially Named NYJ Starting QB

Just now, 88what said:

Playing verse not playing as far as QB developement goes..   why not try and to speed that up ?   I would think starting day 1 would help a little, ya think?

I dont think its that simple. History has shown that there are varying results from both approaches. You have to take each situation into account, i.e., is there enough of a good support system around the rookie QB (O LINE mostly), is the coaching there, does the team have a solid defense, etc. In Allen's situation, I dont think so. At least not yet.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

This isn't just about Darnold and Allen.  It involves their respective O-lines as well, and those are far from equal.

The Jets offensive line is terrible too. I've seen them ranked below us frequently and they have given up their share of sacks in the pre-season. Does the whole AFC East even have a good o-line between them?

10 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

I dont think its that simple. History has shown that there are varying results from both approaches. You have to take each situation into account, i.e., is there enough of a good support system around the rookie QB (O LINE mostly), is the coaching there, does the team have a solid defense, etc. In Allen's situation, I dont think so. At least not yet.

huh? so when is the oline going to be good, 2 games in?, 5? next year, 2 years? It's the NFL lots of QBs are forced to play behind bad offensive lines.

Edited by greeneblitz

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

huh? so when is the oline going to be good, 2 games in?, 5? next year, 2 years? It's the NFL lots of QBs are forced to play behind bad offensive lines.

Really, lots of ROOKIE QBs are forced to play behind bad o lines? If thats what their Head Coaches decide, ok.

As far as when an oline is going to be good, depends on what moves the front office makes. Could be weeks, could be next season. My point is that a blanket decision to start a rookie QB Day 1 should not be made just because.

2 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

An offensive line can gel over the course of a season as this is a makeshift line being put together right now.  Four of our first top six opponents have arguably top 10 DL's.  Chargers, Vikings, Packers, and Texans.  Baltimore and Tennessee also have solid defenses on paper.  I'm usually for rookie QB's starting day 1, but this o-line is just so bad that I don't want him crippled his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 2

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Peterman lover and I think Allen is our long-term starter at QB.  That said, Peterman has had a great preseason and has shown himself to be more decisive.  He makes his reads and gets the ball out much more quickly than Allen at this point.  Given that this OL is not providing the QB much time, Peterman is the better choice to start right now.  Given more time, there is no doubt that Allen can make plays with his arm that Peterman and most other NFL QBs can't.  Assuming McCarron is healthy, I would make the same comparison.  Peterman makes his reads and gets the ball out much more quickly than McCarron.  I have not seen any of training camp, but what I have read is that McCarron is holding onto the ball too long.  I did see the first half of the Cleveland game, and McCarron was completely ineffective and unable to get the ball out quickly, just like Allen in the Cincy game.  When Peterman played with the 1s against Carolina (who I think has a decent front line and pressures the QB), Peterman got the ball out quickly and was successful.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

An offensive line can gel over the course of a season as this is a makeshift line being put together right now.  Four of our first top six opponents have arguably top 10 DL's.  Chargers, Vikings, Packers, and Texans.  Baltimore and Tennessee also have solid defenses on paper.  I'm usually for rookie QB's starting day 1, but this o-line is just so bad that I don't want him crippled his rookie year.

Good point.

56 minutes ago, 88what said:

Could be interesting to see a different approach to rookie qb’s....

..Jets have no bearing on McD.......already was written that the considerations are Cam vs McNabb start scenarios........"baptism by fire versus wait".....