Does the fanatic reality ever lessen your hype?

Virgil

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

I'm not an Arsenal fan but that moment...... The celebration when in the Anfield Road End when that went in were the best I've ever seen from a sport crowd. Ever. And won't be beaten due to ground regulations. Limbs everywhere. 

It had been 18 long years... we are at 14 right at the moment too.... not sure where the time has gone since 2004. Liverpool hadn't lost at home by two clear goals in something like 4 years either. I don't actually remember 1989 sadly. I was only 5. I live it vicariously through Fever Pitch. Must have been absolutely amazing to be there. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was 9 and starting to play and get into soccer in a big way. Liverpool were totally dominating the English game at the time. Back then the away team (no matter which club it was) winning 2-0 at Anfield was laughed at. 

If I remember rightly the game was played on a Friday night. Very rare in those days. 

5 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I was 9 and starting to play and get into soccer in a big way. Liverpool were totally dominating the English game at the time. Back then the away team (no matter which club it was) winning 2-0 at Anfield was laughed at. 

If I remember rightly the game was played on a Friday night. Very rare in those days. 

And 1st v 2nd on the final weekend.  Never happen again.  It was because of Hillsbrough.  I think we should have played there the week after the tragedy and the game was postponed. At that stage we still had a 7 or 8 point lead and everyone thought that game was a dead rubber anyway. Then we had a major wobble, lost at home to Derby I think and went into the last game needing a miracle. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

When I was young, if the Bills lost, my week was ruined....until the next game! It was life or death. For some reason.

Now that I'm older, I still get real excited and I yell at the TV when the Bills win or lose...but now, it's all laced with some humor - with a realization that it IS just a game.

And now when they lose, I'm over it in about ten minutes.

But I still love following the team and posting on message boards and stuff. 

lol....i used to be the same way. now when they lose and i'm all p.o.'d, i listen to shoopp (sp?) and the post game on the radio and realize how stupid it is ....

I’d like to take a moment and apologize for creating a thread that somehow led to a discussion about soccer. 

If I need to have my account banned or wear socks with sandals for a month, I’ll understand. 

As I get older, my fan-dom has eroded a bit.  The fact that I am now older than 98% of pro athletes hurts, it was much easier to root for who I viewed as adults competing.  I have also seen almost every variable.

It also hurts that the sabres and bills have been in such an awful stretch.  It is rare that there is a game I get emotionally invested in because they don't mean a lot.  But those fast starts the Bills have had brings it back.  And the Indians' ride the past few years has been wonderful.... and the 2016 series hurt as much as wide right to be honest.  I was crushed.

When I was a child, I would get bent out of shape pretty bad over a Bills loss and it would linger until they won again.

When I became an adult, I realized what happens on the field does not effect my life in any sense. A win or loss has n bearing on going to work the next day, paying the bills, being a competent member of society. 

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

I found myself in the situation again of explaining why no other sport compares to Bills Football season to me.  I like the Yankees and am emotionally attached to them too, but it's nothing like the Bills  I'm going to the preseason game next Thursday, two camps, the season opener in Baltimore and the home game against the Titans.  I've been on here for over a decade and can remember so many genuinely emotional moments when watching this team.  Almost all rants on my Facebook are Bills related and I watch the draft like it's a holy event.

With that being said, do you ever stop and think about the fact that our starting MLB just turned 20?  That most of these guys are millionaire kids who play a game?  

Even though it's about the Red Sox, I love the movie fever pitch.  There's a scene where the Sox just lost a playoff game and they are seen out after the game having dinner.  They are relaxed and having a good time while onwatching fans miserable from the game.  And at that moment, the fan realizes that he cares more than the actual players.

So I ask, ever have those moments where you ask "What am I even getting upset about?"  That at the end of the day, it's a game and you're reaction on the couch or in person is completely irrelevant to the actions on the field?

And I recognize the irony of posing this question as I'm nearing my 4,000th post on a Bills Message Board ?

the NFL is a short and brutal and usually decisive season, so you can't really overdose on it, as with the 6 solid months of baseball

and baseball is.... ummmmm.... i look forward to the series starting at Fenway last night and two of the best teams can't send a good starter to the hill and both teams make a handful of inexcusable mental errors.... and i turned it off in the 6th inning disappointed....

the players care way more than the fans do, it shows in different ways, players can't afford to mope with a game the next day

7 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

lol....i used to be the same way. now when they lose and i'm all p.o.'d, i listen to shoopp (sp?) and the post game on the radio and realize how stupid it is ....

Sports radio is the nadir of American culture. After the Kardashians. 

I think you spend less and care less as you get older as other things, positive and negative, jockey for that attention.  

I used to watch every single Bills game start to finish whenever I could. I'd plan my Sunday afternoon around the games for most of my 30+ years as a fan of the Bills.   

However, for the last decade or so,  if it's a really nice fall day, I'll spend it with my children or doing something to enjoy the outdoors, or at worse, mow grass, rake leaves, etc.  I'll catch up on the game with my phone or if I'm taking a break.  I'd rather soak up the day than the tv.  

As I get older ( 49 in September) I find that the novelty of most things in life has worn off.

I have wondered many times over the last few years how I will feel if the Bills actually became a dominant team again. 

The feeling of the Kelly era was AWESOME . It was magical when Kelly came. I remember listening to his first preseason game as a 16 year old, on the pier at Olcott Salmon fishing with a bunch of strangers around me. EVERYONE had the game on.

I’ve dropped seasons of the Sunday Ticket multiple times because I couldn’t stomach what was being presented during the “ Drought”.

Ill get the Ticket this year but I won’t let it ruin my Sundays and if they really suck I’ll tune out till they start JA.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

As I get older ( 49 in September) I find that the novelty of most things in life has worn off.

I have wondered many times over the last few years how I will feel if the Bills actually became a dominant team again. 

The feeling of the Kelly era was AWESOME . It was magical when Kelly came. I remember listening to his first preseason game as a 16 year old, on the pier at Olcott Salmon fishing with a bunch of strangers around me. EVERYONE had the game on.

I’ve dropped seasons of the Sunday Ticket multiple times because I couldn’t stomach what was being presented during the “ Drought”.

Ill get the Ticket this year but I won’t let it ruin my Sundays and if they really suck I’ll tune out till the start JA.

They've destroyed the ticket in Toronto, after years of every game on the sports addict package they sold out last year to an online stream that didn't deliver.  Then cable formed a separate package for the NFL, on top of the package it used to be on.... haven't looked at what is shaking this year....

I think I can pick up what you're laying down. There are definitely times where I'm watching and I'll think, "Man, what a silly game." In the grand scheme of things, sports are pretty meaningless. I mean, if you wanna get out real far on that ledge, you can find meaninglessness in everything but sports, in general, aren't super important. They are good at bringing people together and giving communities something to root for. And many players make a commitment to give back to their communities, so that's also a plus.

But yeah, I used to be one of those way too angry fans that'd throw things and scream at the TV during Bills games. I think I finally hit my wall one year when I punched a hole in my guitar case during a game in which Mike Vick got loose and broke a ridiculous amount of tackles and scored from like 50 yards out just before the half. After that I was like, alright, maybe I need to calm down.

Still definitely feel the emotion during Bills games. I enjoy the sport as a whole but I don't get the same feeling watching any other team except the Bills. And nowadays if bad plays happen I've pretty much learned to accept it. I'm more liable to get pissed off with the officiating and the delays they cause with their 47 conferences per game. And I can already see even more delays coming with this new helmet rule so this season should be... interesting to say the least.

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

I found myself in the situation again of explaining why no other sport compares to Bills Football season to me.  I like the Yankees and am emotionally attached to them too, but it's nothing like the Bills  I'm going to the preseason game next Thursday, two camps, the season opener in Baltimore and the home game against the Titans.  I've been on here for over a decade and can remember so many genuinely emotional moments when watching this team.  Almost all rants on my Facebook are Bills related and I watch the draft like it's a holy event.

With that being said, do you ever stop and think about the fact that our starting MLB just turned 20?  That most of these guys are millionaire kids who play a game?  

Even though it's about the Red Sox, I love the movie fever pitch.  There's a scene where the Sox just lost a playoff game and they are seen out after the game having dinner.  They are relaxed and having a good time while onwatching fans miserable from the game.  And at that moment, the fan realizes that he cares more than the actual players.

So I ask, ever have those moments where you ask "What am I even getting upset about?"  That at the end of the day, it's a game and you're reaction on the couch or in person is completely irrelevant to the actions on the field?

And I recognize the irony of posing this question as I'm nearing my 4,000th post on a Bills Message Board ?

I think about this sometimes. I think this is something that occurs to you when you get older. 

Sometimes when I'm seeing yet another post excoriating Doug Whaley as if he burned down the fan's house or stole his wife, I think about what is so frustrating in people's lives to make them invest so much in, as Jerry Seinfeld famously said, "laundry."

I totally stopped watching NFL from 1995 to 2008. 2008 sucked hard, however, my Buffalo Bills fanaticism has increased Every Single Year since then. My Fantasy Football/work mates love to give me ****. I just take it and tell them to pay me promptly at the end of the season.

GO BILLS!