WR Cam Phillips #5 - UDFA Virginia Tech

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is great to hear, I was going to say I just read that he said the Bills were the only team to reach out to him after the draft with interest... nice scouting work there 

...this is quite the conundrum.......all along, I thought we had "THE worst WR's in the league bar none"....and now you're saying otherwise?........

He was a 3* recruit out of HS. 434 National Rank and 58 WR Rank.

Foster was a 5* recruit. 23 National Rank and 2 WR Rank.

Foster is more gifted and has higher upside than Phillips. Plus he plays special teams. 

Foster is bigger and faster too.

I don't see Phillips beating Foster out.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Nice post thanks for sharing, would be great if they found a diamond in the ruff at the WR position. 

Here's an article about why we wasn't drafted. 

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018/5/26/17397942/seven-reasons-cam-phillips-wasnt-drafted-nfl-acc-vt-virginia-tech-hokies-buffalo-bills

Reason #7 will need to change for him to make the roster. Just my opinion

2 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I was thinking Naaman Roosevelt 2.0.  Appears able to separate but not much speed. 

Hard to tell on speed issue, would love to see him run now that inguinal hernia is behind him.  They take a while post surgery to become comfortable with fully extensing core.  Basically intestines penetrating a weakeness in abdominal wall.  3 types of abdominal hernias... inquinal (sports) lower abdominal wall, umbilical just like it sounds, and hiatal hernia the stomach penetrating diagraphm... most of us like 80% have very small ones but the bad one cause a lot of reflux and trouble swallowing.   If he doesn’t gain speed and can’t play special teams.., agree probably practice squad at best for him.  We will see.. So far he looks good.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Man, we have no shortage of possession type guys. We desperately need some down fielders. 

As Daboll said in a presser, there's many ways to stretch a field.  It doesn't have to be vertical/down field passing.  

30 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster is more gifted and has higher upside than Phillips. Plus he plays special teams. 

Cool story but I’ll need to see their ACT scores before forming an opinion 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

As Daboll said in a presser, there's many ways to stretch a field.  It doesn't have to be vertical/down field passing.  

Coming from an offensive coordinator who doesn't have a vertical threat at the moment. 

I like KB and I see a lot of potential in our younger guys, but there's something to be said for having someone who the safeties know can be past them in a flash if they cheat up at all. 

32 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how much the recruitment will matter, but i agree- if they're looking purely for a developmental guy, they will likely go with the guy with higher upside. If Phillips wants a spot he has to prove right now that he can have a positive impact. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cool story but I’ll need to see their ACT scores before forming an opinion 

Foster has run a 4.34 40. What’s Phillips’ best time?

Foster is 6’2” 197? How big is Phillips?

Bitter that he chose Alabama over OSU? He turned down Penn State, Florida, Pitt, Michigan and Notre Dame too, so don’t feel bad.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

It’s going to be interesting to see who sticks in the roster.

Benjamin and Kerley are locks

Zay Jones probably? Dupre maybe?

Then there’s a whole bunch of slot receivers. Reilly, Phillips, Foster, McCloud, Proehl, etc.

just from reading reports, I can’t see Reilly, Phillips, or Foster getting cut. So that puts our two drafted receivers on the practice squad?

How is Kerley a lock?

Did I miss something?

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Bitter that he chose Alabama over OSU? He turned down Penn State, Florida, Pitt, Michigan and Notre Dame too, so don’t feel bad.

Um.... 

Wow. Going to slowly step away from you, skydiver. 

• Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Who has the bigger heart and who wants it more is what counts.

Have to see these guys in games first to see who has a chance to make the roster. Otherwise this is all hearsay.

I am not falling into that Da'Rick Rodgers trap any more.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Um.... 

Wow. Going to slowly step away from you, skydiver. 

With your tail between your legs. :)

On a serious note, it doesn’t seem like Phillips should be able to beat out Foster, but who knows. Maybe they both go to the PS.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t think you understand the joke... was in relation to your famous thread about the Ivy League of the SEC/Josh Rosen.  Not every thread needs to be about Bama in some way, shape or form but you try to integrate it into every discussion. It’s quite fascinating. I truly don’t care about his ACT scores. it was just a joke, no need to be so sensitive.

22 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

But I believe Phillips was a starter in college, so he has that going for him...

17 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

On a serious note, it doesn’t seem like Phillips should be able to beat out Foster, but who knows. Maybe they both go to the PS.

If he's a better receiver he will beat him out. 40 times and HS ranks mean pretty much nothing. I would not be surprised at all, though, if he was PS this year and not on the 53.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If he's a better receiver he will beat him out. 40 times and HS ranks mean pretty much nothing. I would not be surprised at all, though, if he was PS this year and not on the 53.

Size, speed, and athletic ability must mean something for a WR unless you have hooks for hands.