WR Cam Phillips #5 - UDFA Virginia Tech

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Because he hasn’t been axed to play special teams does not mean that he cannot play special teams. It’s really not that difficult, nothing special really.

I’m sure special teams players would take exception with that. :)

Looks similar to Anquan Boldin. Tough, physical, excellent body control, strong hands but not much in the way of speed. Seems to also have good instincts at tracking the ball and getting in the right spot to box out. He will need to have a big preseason as well. 

It’s weird that 2 guys who got drafted by us (McCloud & Proehl) and a guy with crazy hype (Reilly) are getting more buzz than a guy who was much more productive than them in college.  I like what I’m hearing about Phillips.  But practice is a lot different than games.  Hopefully, he balls out.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Funny, I don't recall making a Robert Foster thread...

I'm just reporting what i've seen and what i've been hearing. Maybe Foster will make it and Phillips won't. Maybe it will be vice versa. 

But on the practice field, the kid keeps making plays. And it's worth recognizing right now.

Phillips hasn't taken one snap with the 2nd team, much less the 1st team.

Until that happens, he's nothing but training camp fodder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Looks similar to Anquan Boldin. Tough, physical, excellent body control, strong hands but not much in the way of speed. Seems to also have good instincts at tracking the ball and getting in the right spot to box out. He will need to have a big preseason as well. 

I think we need to settle down here.  I don’t thin kPhillips is going to have 217 yards in his first nfl game. 

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He was a 3* recruit out of HS. 434 National Rank and 58 WR Rank.

Foster was a 5* recruit. 23 National Rank and 2 WR Rank.

Foster is more gifted and has higher upside than Phillips. Plus he plays special teams. 

Foster is bigger and faster too.

I don't see Phillips beating Foster out.

They ain't playing measureables, they're playing football.  Games start next week and we shall see who stands out.  But knowing what we do about McD, a guy showing out in practice consistently will fit his paradigm.  I like what Foster could be though.  Both have to translate practice performance to the games.  In NFL terms both are coming up the hard way.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

In fairness, he was recovering from a sports hernia. He’s ran a 4.62.

...THREE Tech kids in camp.......Edmunds, Teller & Phillips.....two out of three seem to be locks....read all of the reasons why Phillips wasn't drafted.....so now he seems to show up big time according to reviews.....Logan Thomas is a former V-Tech guy......maybe "Tech Connect" is replacing the "Carolina Connection"??.....

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...THREE Tech kids in camp.......Edmunds, Teller & Phillips.....two out of three seem to be locks....read all of the reasons why Phillips wasn't drafted.....so now he seems to show up big time according to reviews.....Logan Thomas is a former V-Tech guy......maybe "Tech Connect" is replacing the "Carolina Connection"??.....

Every regime seems to like certain schools more than others...

Whaley loved Clemson and Florida St , and Bama

Virginia Tech plays a good style of ball defensively which translates to the NFL, same with their run blocking schemes

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He just needs a chance. If he doesn't cut it in preseason, so be it, but I've been reading Buscaglia's camp notes, and he seems to have a player-crush going...

Whenever a wide receiver can complete the play the way that Phillips has been doing consistently through training camp, it usually begs a further look from the coaching staff to see if they can do it against some better competition. I would not be surprised if Phillips gets bumped up to work with the second-team offense before too long because he is significantly outplaying the rookie trio of Robert Foster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Austin Proehl. 

Day 7 observations

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I went to Virginia Tech and have had season tickets there for decades. Should I get in on this thread? ?

Cam can play. He isn't the fastest, but is a very good athlete with excellent hands and a habit of snagging tough passes in traffic. We'll see how it all translates to the NFL level. I've always thought WR and QB are the two most difficult positions to project from college to pro. Am looking forward to seeing all of our young WR in preseason action.

1 minute ago, October 1918 said:

I went to Virginia Tech and have had season tickets there for decades. Should I get in on this thread? ?

Cam can play. He isn't the fastest, but is a very good athlete with excellent hands and a habit of snagging tough passes in traffic. We'll see how it all translates to the NFL level. I've always thought WR and QB are the two most difficult positions to project from college to pro. Am looking forward to seeing all of our young WR in preseason action.

...read all of the pre-draft stuff and you ask why is he here......then you realize the hungriest hate hunger and are hell bent on proving otherwise.....kid has been getting accolades in practice...and of course the TBD zingers chime in "well he's practicing with the lowly 3rds, so what more would you expect"?.....so is Josh so I guess they're both losers...go figure....the "TBD Red Carpet" is stained with pigeon poop sadly...........

On 8/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

I'd imagine you're going to see that change. Brandon Beane himself was talking this morning (on One Bills Live) about how he's noticed he's been making the tough catches in Practice.

And if that happens - will it be okay with you if I talk about him then? Sorry, I missed the memo that stated I should only talk about stone cold locks.

Edited by BillsFanForever19