Social Anxiety Disorder

Another Fan

I am a misanthropist. I'm not shy or anxious in any way in front of people. As a matter of fact, in college, all my public speaking classes were straight As (part of a journalism minor). However, I do dislike people (not persons). Maybe that is what you are feeling?

I hope you feel better tomorrow. ?

xx.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Anyone ever gone through this here/have elements of it.  I’ve beaten it in the past but today was a little rough.  

When you say today was a little rough, what do you mean?  What happened?

I’ve had panic attacks occasionally for decades. Like once a month or less. I’m not sure if that is similar to SAD. 

I know in my head that there is nothing wrong, but I get hot, nervous, breathe fast, knees weak, tunnel vision, stomach gassy.

They usually pass after a few minutes, and I have learned to wait them out. When it first started happening I was nervous that there was something wrong medically. Perhaps it’s related to hunger, thirst, too much coffee, or something like that, but I haven’t figured out a pattern. In my case, I think that worrying about them is worse than just relaxing and waiting for them to pass. 

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

When you say today was a little rough, what do you mean?  What happened?

Tried to confront a manager at work.  It just came all bad/stuttered.  SA played a part.  Might have made things worse if anything 

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Tried to confront a manager at work.  It just came all bad/stuttered.  SA played a part.  Might have made things worse if anything 

Should have just shived him without saying anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Think what you want to say and write it down.   

Practice it a couple time and go slow. Deep breaths.  You know you can do it without getting up set.  

Take it slow.  

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I think it's common to get frustrated or have things not come out right if you are highly emotional or angry at the moment.  

Though I guess it was more than just that for you.  Mead's advice to write things down and practice saying them out loud to the mirror is a good idea.  Or maybe you can say them to another person you trust to make it seem more realistic (practicing).

I have read about panic attacks but haven't experienced one myself.  I would think that would be super frightening, at least until you are aware of them and learn to deal with them.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Regroup and deal with it.

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Instead of thinking of it as a “confrontation”, think of it as what it is....a “conversation”. That’s all. Don’t build it into more than what it really is. 

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I've never had an official diagnosis, but as I grow older I'm getting more and more averse to large crowds or crowded places in general. 

I wonder how much longer I'll be able to handle game day crowds