Baker Mayfield agrees to contract

11 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

shouldn’t a 1st round qb not be concerned with offsetting language if they believe they are franchise material? ?

The four previous QBs the Browns have drafted in the 1st rd were all cut before their rookie deals were over. I’d call it “bracing for failure”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Browns officially sign QB Baker Mayfield to four-year, $32.5 million deal

Pat McManamon-ESPN Staff Writer 9:43 PM ET

The first overall pick will be present and accounted for when the Cleveland Browns open training camp on Thursday.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield signed a four-year contract Tuesday evening, the team announced. Mayfield's contract as the draft's first overall pick is slotted at $32.5 million.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24186561/cleveland-browns-officially-sign-baker-mayfield-four-year-325-million-deal

Latest News

Browns signed No. 1 overall pick QB Baker Mayfield to a four-year contract.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Mayfield gets $32.68 million guaranteed, including a $21.85 million signing bonus. The top pick in the draft is expected to open the season as the No. 2 quarterback behind Tyrod Taylor, who has received plenty of praise from teammates and coaches this offseason. Jul 24 - 10:35 PM

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

After they give Tyrod his 5 year $150 million contract extension, he'll wish he worried about the language in his contract.  

"Offsetting" language only comes into play if another team signs him after he gets cut.  Without "offsetting" language in the contract, he's still going to have guaranteed money.  He just won't get the chance to be paid by two teams at the same time.

10 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

It's always four years with a team owning a 5th year option. Yet a full guaranteed contract is shocking.

almost all 1st round contracts are guaranteed for at least three years..top picks all 4 years

"The entire contracts of the first 21 picks of the first round were fully guaranteed in 2016 and 2017."

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

almost all 1st round contracts are guaranteed for at least three years..top picks all 4 years

"The entire contracts of the first 21 picks of the first round were fully guaranteed in 2016 and 2017."

huh! I never knew that, guess that's my today I learned moment.