Your favorite 90s songs

Ice bowl 67

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NU Metal

The first concert I ever saw was Korn opening for Black Sabbath when I was 15. I was already a Korn fan at that point. They were my favorite band for quite a while. I think all in all I've seen the 7 times.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:59 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think Oasis was pretty fantastic.  Liam was a bit of a whack job, but a perfect rock star. I'm listening to Champagne Supernova right now.

Oasis were what I consider "my band". Out of all the bands I mentioned in an earlier post Oasis were the one I listened to the most and bought all the albums.

The first 2 albums were particularly good. I think the third was forced on them and the tracks sounded tired. After that the albums were ok with the odd good track on each.

Liam keeps hinting at a re-union but Noel doesn't sound so keen. It would be interesting to see which other members would be included if they did re-form.

I saw them live at City of Manchester stadium in 2005. Awesome gig. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Not that i think i would have the time to watch them at this point in my life, but i miss music videos and mtv from the early-mid 90s

There is a MTV classic station I just found that plays some of them.

Im time strapped too but sometimes at night I’ll keep it on 

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

Oasis were what I consider "my band". Out of all the bands I mentioned in an earlier post Oasis were the one I listened to the most and bought all the albums.

The first 2 albums were particularly good. I think the third was forced on them and the tracks sounded tired. After that the albums were ok with the odd good track on each.

Liam keeps hinting at a re-union but Noel doesn't sound so keen. It would be interesting to see which other members would be included if they did re-form.

I saw them live at City of Manchester stadium in 2005. Awesome gig. 

That's because it is well documented that during the recording of Be Here Now they were heavily involved in cocaine use.  Like, a crap ton of coke.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, Augie said:

This may be off somewhat topic, but has there EVER been a better year of music than 1969? 

I somewhat agree with this, but I would say that 65-74 was the best 10 year span of music ever.  Amazing music from a ton of genres.  Rock, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Soul.  You got The Beatles, Stones, Led, Doors, Floyd, Allman Bros (with Duane still alive), Van Morrison, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Joplin (with Big Brother and the Holding Company as well), The Band, Dylan in his prime, The Dead, CSNY, Coltrane, Davis, Ellington, Louis Armstrong, The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, John Mayall, B.B., The Who, Etta James, Wilson Pickett, and on and on and on.  It blows away anything from the 90s.  90s had grunge/rock and some rap, that's it.  And i grew up in the 90s.  Anyone claiming music in the 90s was the best era is just simply out of their f'n minds. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jerk said:

Must be a Sting fan. 

source.gif

I don't think they are hating on it... It's a pretty bad song.  But, everybody has their own taste.  It's just so cheesy!  On the "Naco Scale" this ranks a solid 10/10... Can't get more cheese that abortion of a song.

Not hating.  Somebody has to love it or they wouldn't have made it. Glad you enjoy. There have been posters on this board that weep tears of admiration for The Hulkster! True Hulkamaniacs!

On 7/31/2018 at 10:06 AM, Mark80 said:

That's because it is well documented that during the recording of Be Here Now they were heavily involved in cocaine use.  Like, a crap ton of coke.

I somewhat agree with this, but I would say that 65-74 was the best 10 year span of music ever.  Amazing music from a ton of genres.  Rock, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Soul.  You got The Beatles, Stones, Led, Doors, Floyd, Allman Bros (with Duane still alive), Van Morrison, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Joplin (with Big Brother and the Holding Company as well), The Band, Dylan in his prime, The Dead, CSNY, Coltrane, Davis, Ellington, Louis Armstrong, The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, John Mayall, B.B., The Who, Etta James, Wilson Pickett, and on and on and on.  It blows away anything from the 90s.  90s had grunge/rock and some rap, that's it.  And i grew up in the 90s.  Anyone claiming music in the 90s was the best era is just simply out of their f'n minds. 

I think it is a matter of relativity and taste.  I think you could make a case for 65-74, or 89-98 (ish).  They are almost certainly #1 and #2.  I think a lot of it is the variety of the music as you stated (while purposely downplaying/narrowing the wide variety of music in the 90s into 2 categories).  Also, both time periods saw music intertwine much deeper into many other facets of entertainment and life including politics.

In many ways, the 90s were the terminal end of the blues/rock pioneers which brought about/influenced the 65-74 music, which in turn, heavily influenced all genres in the 90s.  We had many technological breakthroughs and we had all these mini-movies created for MTV and also enjoyed unprecedented access to the musicians via interviews, cassettes, CDs, and later digital files.  The internet was born at a consumer level (which eventually brought about the poisoning of the well).  It was the last gasp.  I know people are going to yell about current groups, but while some are talented.... I don't believe many create multiple albums full of great material, nor will they be able to tour/sell out arenas in 20 years (not too many can now).

We had just as many heavy hitters from the 90s: Metallica, Pearl Jam, Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boyz, Snoop Dogg, Alice In Chains, Eminem, Boyz 2 Men, Alanis Morisette, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Green Day, STP, REM, Oasis, Weezer, Nine Inch Nails, Ice Cube, Primus, U2, Tool, Cake, TLC, Sheryl Crow, Notorious BIG, Megadeth, Blink 182, 311, Jane's Addiction, The Hip, Dave Matthews, Garth Brooks (and I think some other country stars), Korn, Tupac, Sublime, Mariah Carey (ick), Beck, Tom Petty and a bunch of residuals from the 80s/earlier like Madonna, MJ, AC/DC, GnR, Van Halen, Sting, Ozzy, Neil Young.... and then we have this pile of '1-hit-wonder' songs that exist because everyone was paying attention, watching TV, and listening to the radio.  You even have Backstreet Boys and NSync on the tail end of it.

I think the 90s were a magical time in music.  A lot of it was because it marks the end in a lot of ways, and soon after, most of the music industry has become mostly fishing around to create the catchy song that hits and makes a pile of money.   

I remember people handing me CDs on the regular telling me to check out this band or that band, and having my spine tingle on the regular.   I still recall the moment that someone handed me Rage self-titled and I was wondering WTH with the album cover, then going home and listening to it and being "woke" like 25 years before that was a thing.

Edited by May Day 10