My dog died tonight

Sorry for your loss Royale. 

I was a wreck after putting mine down last fall after 14 years. He was the one constant through a lot of changes in mylife over that time. I still miss him...

On 7/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

It was just so weird that it happened so fast.  She was happy, a lot of energy.  I let her out in the front yard, went back inside to get her ball to play with her.  My son runs in the house and said "somethings wrong with Dakota".  I go outside, she collapsed and moaned.  My wife picked her up to rush her to the pet hospital and about 2 miles down the road, no more breathing.  I was feeling for a pulse and nothing...we turned around.

I just got done burying her in the back.  She was 10, I thought we would get a few more years out of her.

Heartbreaking.

Dogs are better than people, and it's a damn shame they only live a fraction of our lives. I have several dogs, have lost several, and am dreading the loss of my oldest (best buddy) since he's over 10 and starting to show it.

Hang in there, especially the kid.

On 7/19/2018 at 2:55 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Was she poisoned?

When I was back visiting my family for Christmas in 2005, our 11 year old dog Ginnie threw up once in the evening before I was going out to meet up with friends and then wanted to go outside. Our dogs always went out our back door to the woods to go to the bathroom and knew to ask. So I let her out and shouted to my parents I let her out.

The next morning I woke up and my Dad told me he found her dead at the foot of our stairs that lead down to our yard where she went to the bathroom.

We think it was the food she ate. There was a big recall on Star pet dry food at the time.

It's 14 years later and I still think about that and feel guilty for being the one to let her out to go to the bathroom often.

Legitimate concerns here. Right now the pet food/treat industry is having a reckoning. So much use of dead dogs in their food that there were significant levels of the euthanasia drug in the food (especially wet foods). And now you hear about heart disease in even small dogs as a result of grain-free food.

The changes did not happen fast enough for many animals (and owners). Problem is the industry is not regulated well at all.

You just can't trust anything, and I always rotate food types to try and mitigate the risk of one or more having problems. I have made dog food in the past for them, but it's a very costly and time consuming task. 

Just wish there was a way to KNOW that food is safe for our dogs.

We had to put a cat down four months ago.  Lung cancer.  It was a kindness...but still hurt, and I still think I see her occasionally out of the corner of my eye walking by.

And grandma's in hospice.  97 years old.  It'll actually be easier to lose her than it was my cat.

37 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

We had to put a cat down four months ago.  Lung cancer.  It was a kindness...but still hurt, and I still think I see her occasionally out of the corner of my eye walking by.

And grandma's in hospice.  97 years old.  It'll actually be easier to lose her than it was my cat.

ugh..... halfway into the latest cat-life in my home.

We lost both our dogs to cancer.

First one was trained to be a baby's companion and less than a year the parents got a divorce and dog got the boot. As intelligent and good tempered as Lassie.

Second one was partly an Alaskan breed which is used to just running and then just go to wherever he was looking for shelter. Chasing him did no good for he thought it was part of a game. 

Right now my wife cannot deal with losing another dog so we are dogless although we have watched a few dogs.

You have our sympathy.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:13 AM, Alaska Darin said:

Dogs live short, awesome lives.  When they die, it is incredibly painful but it reminds us to live.

One thing to consider during this time:  You are grieving but in one of your local shelters there is a great dog facing a clock that’s ticking.  There is nothing that helps your heart heal faster than honoring your dog’s legacy by saving another.

Sorry for your loss.

Best advice there is. 

I appreciate everyone on here with their sympathy.  It was really tough on the family for a couple of days but we're getting better.

I've been through this before, my wife hasn't so it's extremely hard on her.

Finally started feeling good Saturday night.  Spent the weekend at the brother in laws ranch where he as 3 ATV's....had a blast.

This morning, thought of our dog again because she would always wake up with me and wouldn't go back to sleep until I left the house for work.  Literally would sit at the end of the bed watching me get ready.  Hard not seeing her with her waggling tail.

We've got friends with dogs that are going out of town and we'll be watching their dogs.  This will fill the void.  I do miss loving on a dog of my own.

My wife isn't there yet but I do want to take Alaska Darin's advice and go to a rescue and save a life.  I want to find the dog that just has had it so rough early in their life and take them home to our house.  We treat dogs with love and not just a dog.  Whatever dog we get, their life will take a 180 turn and for the better.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I

We've got friends with dogs that are going out of town and we'll be watching their dogs.  This will fill the void.  I do miss loving on a dog of my own.

My wife isn't there yet but I do want to take Alaska Darin's advice and go to a rescue and save a life.  I want to find the dog that just has had it so rough early in their life and take them home to our house.  We treat dogs with love and not just a dog.  Whatever dog we get, their life will take a 180 turn and for the better.

Good for you, brother...and good for the new member of your family.  Dog people are the best people and it's not even close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Good for you, brother...and good for the new member of your family.  Dog people are the best people and it's not even close.

Did you ever notice, when sitting at a train stop or public area, most people barely look at each other and interact unless something relevant to all is going on. But take your dog to a vet and watch how people interact. It's amazing how people will comment on others dogs, and just generally chat away about the dogs and other things, without any walls up between them.

Although on some occasions it can be devastating. We had taken ours in for the final visit and after we came in, a young family with a new pup came into the waiting room. When we were done, we stepped outside with red eyes and just a collar and a leash, just heartbroken. The little kids (maybe 3, 5 and 7 years old) looked up and didn't get it. The young mom's smile just receded when she put it together as the pup frolicked with the kids. You could see her face go from a welcoming smile to a look of fear/compassion as the realization of what lies ahead for her and her brood in 10-13 years. She just shooshed the kids as we made the quick chat at the desk for final billing and as I looked back as we were leaving, she was clueing the husband in on what just happened. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

Did you ever notice, when sitting at a train stop or public area, most people barely look at each other and interact unless something relevant to all is going on. But take your dog to a vet and watch how people interact. It's amazing how people will comment on others dogs, and just generally chat away about the dogs and other things, without any walls up between them.

Although on some occasions it can be devastating. We had taken ours in for the final visit and after we came in, a young family with a new pup came into the waiting room. When we were done, we stepped outside with red eyes and just a collar and a leash, just heartbroken. The little kids (maybe 3, 5 and 7 years old) looked up and didn't get it. The young mom's smile just receded when she put it together as the pup frolicked with the kids. You could see her face go from a welcoming smile to a look of fear/compassion as the realization of what lies ahead for her and her brood in 10-13 years. She just shooshed the kids as we made the quick chat at the desk for final billing and as I looked back as we were leaving, she was clueing the husband in on what just happened. 

Image result for Sir Walter Scott on dogs

• 5 weeks later...

My dog had a sudden medical emergency which led to him being put down.  

My heart is shattered.  I met him just minutes after he was born.  He was a Jack Russell Terrier and always had a look of a puppy.  Even when he was nearly 13 and diabetic/blind.  He has been my shadow for his entire time here and its very hard to not be tripping over him.  He went through a lot of changes in my and my family's lives, from me being single, to married, 2 kids, house, etc.  

He loved running around, walks, playing with other dogs, rump scratches, pooping, and his human family.  We feel very lucky to have had such a faithful companion

39936617_10214370470868660_6834265567575

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

My dog had a sudden medical emergency which led to him being put down.  

My heart is shattered.  I met him just minutes after he was born.  He was a Jack Russell Terrier and always had a look of a puppy.  Even when he was nearly 13 and diabetic/blind.  He has been my shadow for his entire time here and its very hard to not be tripping over him.  He went through a lot of changes in my and my family's lives, from me being single, to married, 2 kids, house, etc.  

He loved running around, walks, playing with other dogs, rump scratches, pooping, and his human family.  We feel very lucky to have had such a faithful companion

39936617_10214370470868660_6834265567575

I feel for you man.  Hang in there.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I feel for you man.  Hang in there.

Thanks, you too.  I remember getting sad reading this thread a month ago.  Sorry to grab it, but didn't want to create a new thread for my guy.  I hope I didnt expose old wounds.

I am thankful that (and in your case too), we were not faced with difficult decisions in terms of surgeries, finances, hanging onto the dog for possibly selfish reasons, etc.  It all came and went quickly and there was little option.  He had a fairly long and happy life.  Our lives were/are enriched from him.  

He had diabetes the last 2.5 years too which caused cataracts that made him blind.  We were doing well managing it, but I knew there was a house of cards with that and an elderly dog.  If it makes sense, I think I actually started the grieving process a bit while he was still alive, so I think I have come out relatively OK (a few crying fits a day, but relatively together).  

Hope things have gotten better for you

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Thanks, you too.  I remember getting sad reading this thread a month ago.  Sorry to grab it, but didn't want to create a new thread for my guy.  I hope I didnt expose old wounds.

I am thankful that (and in your case too), we were not faced with difficult decisions in terms of surgeries, finances, hanging onto the dog for possibly selfish reasons, etc.  It all came and went quickly and there was little option.  He had a fairly long and happy life.  Our lives were/are enriched from him.  

He had diabetes the last 2.5 years too which caused cataracts that made him blind.  We were doing well managing it, but I knew there was a house of cards with that and an elderly dog.  If it makes sense, I think I actually started the grieving process a bit while he was still alive, so I think I have come out relatively OK (a few crying fits a day, but relatively together).  

Things have gotten better.  I still think about her a lot.  I have her buried in the backyard and have a loose stacked brick boarder around bury spot.  

I can see if when I sit on my couch in the living room so it's a constant reminder.

We've been sitting a few dogs for friends who have been out of town over the last month so the companionship is helping fill the void.

It took a few weeks before we were able to just have happy memories when we thought of her instead of feeling sad because she was gone.  

You'll get there soon.  It's tough but you'll feel better day by day.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I lost one of my guys a couple of months ago.  He was 11 going on 12 and really healthy.  One morning he jumped out of bed to start his day and he never got up.  I called him a couple of times and he didn't respond, which wasn't like him at all.  When I went to see what was up, he had the most panicked look on his face I've ever seen on a living thing.

I picked him up and put him back on the bed, then laid with him until our vet opened.  I loaded him into my wife's SUV and he went through the front door pretty much the second my vet got to the office.  It didn't matter because he wasn't going to get through whatever happened.  That was a very hard day because he was literally running and playing in our yard just hours before, seemingly without a care in the world.

I've buried 7 dogs in my adult life and it doesn't get easier.  Each one is a terrific soul and such an incredible source of joy because they never have a bad day.  My wife and contemplated not replacing him in our pack because we already have 2 others (male and female) but after so many weeks of feeling like crap I couldn't help myself and started looking at puppies.  Nala was born 5 weeks ago and will be joining us in mid-October.  I hope Diesel is looking down on us with approval because my heart actually doesn't feel as heavy as it did and she's not even here yet.

• Like (+1) 2