Please do not call lazy reporters fake news

I believe there is actual fake news-made up to get a reaction- out there even on mainstream sources, but please stop calling lazy reporting fake. Many reporters are simply trying to put get an article out to meet a deadline and are too lazy to write and fact check. It is an indictment of journalism but does make it fake. 

It's a combination of both.  The term "fake news" wouldn't resonate with people if there wasn't some truth to it.  Even previously respected mainstream media news sources will use an anonymous source and not confirm it with a second source to get a story out first.  Fox News was notorious for this, but now it seems to be the norm.  This particular administration will put fake news stories out purposefully.  If I was a reporter, I'd avoid this White House at all costs and maybe transfer to sports reporting for 8 years.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I believe there is actual fake news-made up to get a reaction- out there even on mainstream sources, but please stop calling lazy reporting fake. Many reporters are simply trying to put get an article out to meet a deadline and are too lazy to write and fact check. It is an indictment of journalism but does make it fake. 

If you're too lazy to do your job correctly, and your job is to present "the news", then what you're presenting is bull$%#@. In that context, the term "fake news" seems rather charitable, don't you think?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Azalin said:

If you're too lazy to do your job correctly, and your job is to present "the news", then what you're presenting is bull$%#@. In that context, the term "fake news" seems rather charitable, don't you think?

Lyin' reporters.

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Of course they have dead lines, Trump tells so many lies it's hard for reporters to keep up. 

Most dishonest President ever. 

"If you like your doctor, you can keep you doctor"

"Insurance premiums will be reduce by $2500"

"We didn't have teams close enough to help in Bengazhi"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gary M said:

"If you like your doctor, you can keep you doctor"

"Insurance premiums will be reduce by $2500"

"We didn't have teams close enough to help in Bengazhi"

This is the problem. Past presidents say things that can be interpreted as lies, I have the same doctor, and you Trump people use that to excuse constant, unmitigated lying constantly. Trump is a pathological liar and you people just follow his direction to blame the media. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is the problem. Past presidents say things that can be interpreted as lies, I have the same doctor, and you Trump people use that to excuse constant, unmitigated lying constantly. Trump is a pathological liar and you people just follow his direction to blame the media. 

Did not excuse Trump, just pointing out the whoppers your guy told.

2 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Did not excuse Trump, just pointing out the whoppers your guy told.

You were doing that in response to Trump's constant lying, yes you were excusing Trump. 

Trump lies, blame everyone else

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

OK, I'll be hpnest.  They are lying sacks of s***.

Hi Wacka 

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They arent "interperated" as lies, they are bold faced outright lies.

• Like (+1) 2

I suppose this might a good place for this.  A great piece on what is fundamentally wrong with journalism in 2018 and how to improve it.

Complicating the Narratives

As politicians have become more polarized, we have increasingly allowed ourselves to be used by demagogues on both sides of the aisle, amplifying their insults instead of exposing their motivations. Again and again, we have escalated the conflict and snuffed the complexity out of the conversation. Long before the 2016 election, the mainstream news media lost the trust of the public, creating an opening for misinformation and propaganda. If the purpose of journalism is to “see the public into fuller existence,” as Jay Rosen once wrote, it’s hard to conclude that we are succeeding.

Researchers have a name for the kind of divide America is currently experiencing. They call this an “intractable conflict,” as social psychologist Peter T. Coleman describes in his book The Five Percent, and it’s very similar to the kind of wicked feuds that emerge in about one out of every 20 conflicts worldwide. In this dynamic, people’s encounters with the other tribe (political, religious, ethnic, racial or otherwise) become more and more charged. And the brain behaves differently in charged interactions. It’s impossible to feel curious, for example, while also feeling threatened.

In this hypervigilant state, we feel an involuntary need to defend our side and attack the other. That anxiety renders us immune to new information. In other words: no amount of investigative reporting or leaked documents will change our mind, no matter what.

The lesson for journalists (or anyone) working amidst intractable conflict: complicate the narrative. First, complexity leads to a fuller, more accurate story. Secondly, it boosts the odds that your work will matter — particularly if it is about a polarizing issue. When people encounter complexity, they become more curious and less closed off to new information. They listen, in other words.

24 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

They arent "interperated" as lies, they are bold faced outright lies.

You agree that Trump lies way more, and in fact just lies constantly, right? 

Trump lies way way way more than Obama ever did, right? 

they are lazy and like feeding frenzies

i would have liked an open discussion on Mormonism when one of its top adherents had the nod for the GOP,  even a 1% inkling on what his vows were and what it might have meant if he were to be president or in the Senate or other gov't slot

but noooooooooooooooooooooooooop........

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

There are very few, if any, journalists that do investigative reporting anymore.

I'm sure there are folks that can come up with a few names of actual "real" journalists.

Glenn greenwald is one. He's a flaming liberal, but I actually like his stuff.

BECAUSE HE'S AN ACTUAL LIBERAL.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

There are very few, if any, journalists that do investigative reporting anymore.

I'm sure there are folks that can come up with a few names of actual "real" journalists.

on the liberal side the best is in the New York Review of Books, i read it and disagree often but it's the best out there

National Review is horrible, The New Yorker has lost any sense of usefulness..... The New Republic thinks its an anarchist mag with Wired formating

the other best liberal source is the London Review of Books, with a Euro edge, at least it's serious and presents a differing liberal view from the US