Football cliches and phrases that commentators all seem to wear out!

17 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Anything Gruden said. 

This.  Gruden would say something along the lines of "This is one of the greatest plays you'll ever see a QB make" in every single game he called.  One of those plays was when an under pressure Eli Manning winged the ball straight up in the air.  It happened to land in the hands of Brandon Marshall ~10 yards downfield, but only by pure luck.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they usually say "up-tempo" which kind of implies faster than usual?

Yeah, you (and I) and several others are in agreement on this.

I have never heard an announcer, ever, say "They are going tempo."

I don't miss Dierdorf's triple negatives and telling us excitedly that a playoff game cannot end in a tie 8 times during his last years.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they usually say "up-tempo" which kind of implies faster than usual?

yup

don't fight with "that guy" insisting on Mozart music terms, he ends up with a lot of beer poured on his head.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

ROTFL!   I would love to hear announcers trot out some music terms - "they're playing FORTISSIMO!  BRAVO!  BRAVO!"

like Hercules cleaning out the Augean Stables...

Dennis Miller's stint was really bad, i like him otherwise

My brother and I have a drinking game. Any time the announcers say something that can be turned into a "Thats what she said" joke we drank. We were pretty wasted the year we had "Boobie" Dixon lol. Still, things like "Man he really got some deep penetration into the backfield". "That tight end just stopped up the line's penetration before they could explode in the gap". The list goes on and on. Try it sometime....its both hilarious and a great way to get drunk ;)

Edit: 

Lets throw a few more in here:

"Looks like the receiver was having a hard time getting his hand on the ball"
"Look at him cut in and then out and then in again, the whole time maintaining great ball control"

"Boobie with the ball up the middle"
"Boobie got slammed as soon as he was given the ball"

""Its about getting off early""

"Knowing you're going to get man it'd be a great time to take something deep."

I'll add more as I think of them lol.

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life

"He's such a unique talent"

Really?  Because there are probably 32 of them in the NFL at any given position.   Generational talent is so overblown it's ridiculous.    Zeke Elliot is a generational talent?  So Kareem Hunt is an accident?   Saquon Barkley is a generational talent?   I guess Zeke didn't come into the league 2 years ago.   Every year we hear about generational talent.    

That and freak athlete.   Yeah, they are in the NFL they are for the most part freak athletes.    You look at the pedigree of 90% of NFL players and it says Track star in HS, won a state championship in this or that track and field event.   

3 hours ago, eball said:

Two that gnaw at me incessantly:

1 -- Adding a plural to a player's name to describe that type of player.  "When you look at the Frank Gores of this league..." -- no, moron, there's only one.

2 -- Using the phrase "unanswered points" before a game (or half) is over.  I don't remember when this started but almost every announcer says it now and it's just lazy.

My biggest pet peeve is similar to your #1. It's when they use a player's name to describe a generic style of player - "They need a Vince Wolfork to help against the run", or "He's not a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rogers, but he can win you some games".

Others:

..."in this league"

"He's a competitor"

"Ath-uh-lete"

"Jagwires"

"They have to make adjustments"

"In terms of..." - Overused in general, but sportscasters seem to especially love this turn of phrase. 

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Unanswered.  Notice they never use the term "answered".

Yes, I mentioned this one above.  Drives me batty, particularly because there's no reason I can think of not to say it correctly.  Did "X team has scored the last 17 points" not work?  And if you want to get really creative you can say "X team has scored 17 [consecutive/straight] points" or "X team has scored 17 points in a row."

Who came up with the "unanswered" crap in the first place?  Death by firing squad would be too kind.

• Like (+1) 1

Every !@#$ing time a defensive lineman bats down a pass: "He got the big paw up to knock that one down."

...because every guy on the field has hands... but defensive linemen have paws.  ?

(the bear analogy annoys the **** out of me)