Football cliches and phrases that commentators all seem to wear out!

....from the annals of Dickie "The Cadaver" Jauron........"gotta watch the tape"......

..."we played a good football team today"......TRANSLATION: "got our azzes kicked"......

..."I'll tell ya, our guys played their hearts out (and STILL got whupped)".........

15 minutes ago, The Process said:

Here's one:

"They are going tempo" - Used when a team goes no-huddleDid anyone ever tell the announcers that tempo by definition can be slow, medium or fast?

Any others? ....

I usually hear them say going “up tempo”...

meaning sped up 

• Like (+1) 1

This may not be what the op intended, but for me its wide right & the memories of losing 4 Super Bowls. For years commentators would always reference our Bills shortcomings from time to time whenever an opportunity arose. I'm sure a lot of you guys here maybe know what i'm talking about. I can't really point to a specific time, but we've been reminded of that kick & 4 superbowl losses for far too often in the past & its worn out for sure.

Here's to this team changing the narrative & national perception of us being a losing franchise. I hope Poyer, Hyde & Edmunds make Gronk eat that Bills hat he threw on that dancefloor, as we pile up the wins & bring home a title!

GO BILLS!

A lot of the no $hit phrases I hear announcers use...

You have to play physical.

Running the ball effectively helps open up the passing game.

The team that wins the turnover battle usually wins the game.

You've got to come away with points (when in the red zone).

You have to do well on 3rd downs.

Chemistry is important.

Not comments or phrases but shots of Niagara falls and chicken wings whenever the game is in Buffalo.

Throwing in a phone booth.

I'm sure most kids don't even know what a phone booth is nowadays.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Giving 110%

That is what I was going to post.  It almost as impossible for a boredcaster to not use worn out cliches as it is to give ANY % above 100.  These boredcasters just remember extra credit from high school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1