John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

HOUSE

24 minutes ago, essential said:

Based on the description Beane gave, the QB they wanted was Rosen, but they drafted Allen.  Hopefully with time Allen can progress to where Rosen already was with that stuff.

They would have wanted Rosen if he did not have the other flaws I think you meant, as if they wanted Rosen "as is" they would have drafted him. They liked the smarts and processing speed and cognitive abilities of Rosen, but likely shied away from him because they thought his personality and/or his smaller stature or brittleness provided increased risk .I think they know Allen is smart too, but may just take a little longer time to get up to speed with things. He seems tougher mentally and physically than Rosen in the Bills eyes I feel. He is more a Buffalo guy thus, and seems more teachable,  and can deal better with the winds and any critiques, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

Buffalo recognizes character and culture as valuable assets.  Kap would be the antithesis to that, a distraction.  Buffalo has moved other players that don't display the character they want.  Laugh if you will, but that blue-collar, band-of-brothers attitude is part of what helped propel them into a playoff birth.

• Like (+1) 1

Any player, no matter how big a distraction will have a spot on an NFL roster if their talent makes it easier to deal with.

TO was a huge distraction everywhere he went, production warrented he was worth it. When Mike Vick came back to the NFL HUGE distraction. Again, talent warrented the roster spot. 

IMO, based on talent and talent alone CK should be on an NFL roster if guys like Geno are employed. However his talent level and where he would fall on most teams depth chartsmake the distractio not worth it. Its much like the "Crazy/Hot" scale when ot comes to dating.

• Like (+1) 1

Kaepernick also played in the mountain west like Allen, but in a spread pistol offense.. and there completion % are similar 

he completed 53.8%

54.3%

58.9%

And then finally 64.9 as a senior

for a career 58.2

All while playing in a gimmicky offense and playing on a better team than Allen

Kaep is good enough to be in the league but the distraction he brings isnt worth his talent

He isn’t Randy Moss talented 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kaepernick also played in the mountain west like Allen, but in a spread pistol offense.. and there completion % are similar 

he completed 53.8%

54.3%

58.9%

And then finally 64.9 as a senior

for a career 58.2

All while playing in a gimmicky offense and playing on a better team than Allen

Kaep is good enough to be in the league but the distraction he brings isnt worth his talent

...isn't fair to say there are or have been plenty of distractions in this league?.......

TO-distraction but damn good

Randy Moss-ditto

OBJ-see above

Incognito-Miami mess cost him $2+ mil when "unofficially blackballed" for a year; gets another chance with OBD and redeems himself for 3 years as top guard

...common denominator IMO is that all were pretty damn good at their craft despite distractions....Kaep was not a consistently good football player.....RG II 1/8 was not a consistently good football player yet him and "Daddy RG" were always lookin' for the limelight to yap.....consistently good despite distractions would have them employed, which RG II 1/8 IS astonishingly on the Ravens roster........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't fair to say there are or have been plenty of distractions in this league?.......

TO-distraction but damn good

Randy Moss-ditto

OBJ-see above

Incognito-Miami mess cost him $2+ mil when "unofficially blackballed" for a year; gets another chance with OBD and redeems himself for 3 years as top guard

...common denominator IMO is that all were pretty damn good at their craft despite distractions....Kaep was not a consistently good football player.....RG II 1/8 was not a consistently good football player yet him and "Daddy RG" were always lookin' for the limelight to yap.....consistently good despite distractions would have them employed, which RG II 1/8 IS astonishingly on the Ravens roster........

That was my point bud ?

sure Kaep is good enough to be a backup but all the distractions he causes aren’t worth his  talent level

he isn’t as talented as Randy Moss or TO or OBJ

not even close, so he hits the bricks

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was my point bud ?

sure Kaep is good enough to be a backup but all the distractions he causes aren’t worth his  talent level

he isn’t as talented as Randy Moss or TO or OBJ

not even close, so he hits the bricks

..184% in agreement my friend...pretty sad commentary when some of TBD's hi-chair beating children (thank God for seatbelts) brand you as racist or un-American because you assess his football skill set without giving a rat's azz about his politics or stance.......all I care about is what a guy can CONSISTENTLY do "between the white stripes"....SMH....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..184% in agreement my friend...pretty sad commentary when some of TBD's hi-chair beating children (thank God for seatbelts) brand you as racist or un-American because you assess his football skill set without giving a rat's azz about his politics or stance.......all I care about is what a guy can CONSISTENTLY do "between the white stripes"....SMH....

Yup and Tebow is out of the league because he can’t throw a football either

maybe he should try throwing with his right hand ?

I must chime in since I predicted his decline in production right after the super bowl. The NFL changed the rule about hitting QB when they might have ball. the simplified is that before rule refinement the D would not QB unless they knew he had ball-after they could clock him if he might have ball. He made a lot of plays on edge where defenders did not if they could kill him or not. He lost one of his best weapons in that the D was not nearly as confused.  In a different vein he is not worth the distraction(as said by many) but no one hit on the biggest distraction in NFL history-Lawrence Taylor- he though always was the best player on his side of ball so they dealt with the distraction.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yup and Tebow is out of the league because he can’t throw a football either

maybe he should try throwing with his right hand ?

...LMAO!.....but I still think it's fair to acknowledge Tebow's supreme effort to make it a career.......hard to find someone who parallels his work ethic.......guy spent thousands on personal trainers, etc to try to make it....and he washed out......so now he launches his new career attempt in baseball with the same perseverance and work ethic......yet the haters STILL continue to hate..."only in baseball because of his name....guy sucks....screw him and his Christian values.....yada yada".....pretty sure he just made the Mets Double A league all-star team......ONLY because of his name and as a marketing toy....go figure......

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

With the entire interview and all the topics discussed how does "John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction" become the headline?  

How does WGR post it like this? "I asked Brandon Beane: 'What's a Buffalo Bills Player?' That's when he went into that they research every person that they draft and they don't want anybody who's gonna be a distraction, and that's when he said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction."

What a pile of trash the media is.  He asked Beane about Kaep.  From the above it makes it sound like Beane offered up Kaep as a distraction when asked what is a Buffalo Bills player.  All totally not true.

Here's how it was asked and answered.  

Q: There has been a lot of speculation about Colin Kaepernick, the reasons he hasn’t been signed. What is your philosophy on a so-called lightning-rod player, especially if he qualifies otherwise in those ways you mentioned about character?

BEANE: “First and foremost, you like to eliminate all distractions. And part of my job is, whether a player is being a distraction, or a coach, or anything, is to eliminate distractions. Whether internal or external. Now that being said, every situation is unique. So I’m not going to sit up here and say I would never have a player who has something going on that would be a minor distraction, or whatever. But I’m not looking to ever bring in any distractions for this locker room.”

thanks for more context White Linen !

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO!.....but I still think it's fair to acknowledge Tebow's supreme effort to make it a career.......hard to find someone who parallels his work ethic.......guy spent thousands on personal trainers, etc to try to make it....and he washed out......so now he launches his new career attempt in baseball with the same perseverance and work ethic......yet the haters STILL continue to hate..."only in baseball because of his name....guy sucks....screw him and his Christian values.....yada yada".....pretty sure he just made the Mets Double A league all-star team......ONLY because of his name and as a marketing toy....go figure......

I’m rooting for Tebow to make the Mets eventually 

cant knock his work ethic and drive 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, Beane has killed it with his offensive player evaluations so far! Jordan Matthews! Broken Kelvin Benjamin! $3 million for an aging and slow rb!

Breaking the drought in year one equals checkmate.  No one knows how this regime will turn out.  Personally, I will remain hopeful until the results prove otherwise.  I like a lot of what I see.

Seems like many here are so dug in from their positions on Sammy, Tyrod, Josh Allen, and whatever else, that they are almost hoping for failure- so they can come tell us all how right they were.

With regards to Kaep, do you really believe he is out of the league simply because of his social stances and the kneeling?  If Brady took the same actions would he be out of the league?  No.  Colin is unemployed simply because he is not good enough for teams to deal with all that comes with him.  Brady could tattoo a swastika on his forehead and still be in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1