John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

HOUSE

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Ok then...you're right.  Kaep has shown an unquestioned dedication to football, and clearly does not have other interests outside the game that may be prioritized over things like practice, game preparation, etc. in a way that would make NFL coaches and/or GMs conclude that he cares more about those interests than the job for which he'd be getting paid.

Tell that to Malcolm Jenkins Et al as I stated before.  It's called multi-tasking.   He's simply paying the price for being the 1st on to begin the on-field demonstrations along with Eric Reid (a darned good player currently out of a job) who knelt along side of him. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tell that to Malcolm Jenkins Et al as I stated before.  It's called multi-tasking.   He's simply paying the price for being the 1st on to begin the on-field demonstrations along with Eric Reid (a darned good player currently out of a job) who knelt along side of him. 

Other players kneeled, and they still have jobs.  Sheldon Richardson sat on the bench during the anthem, and he got a UFA contract.  Marquise Goodwin knelt and still got a new deal.  Malcolm Butler knelt and got a huge contract.  Why would those guys have jobs, let alone big contracts, and not Kaep?  If Eric Reid was a "darned good player", then why did SF spend mutliple draft picks in the last 4 seasons on guys like Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt to replace him?  Why did they resort to playing him at LB?  They were willing to extend other players that knelt (see Goodwin), so why not Reid?  Perhaps it's a player quality issue instead?  How many safeties signed big contracts this offseason?  Context matters.

Think about this: you're going so far as to try to discredit Peter Freakin' King--a guy that has worked in NFL circles for 4 decades and routinely reports information from sources close to teams--to stick to a talking point.  Does that seem reasonable to you?

I doubt we're going to reach any common ground on this, so forgive me if I don't respond to each and every point.  If something discussion-worthy comes along I'm happy to chime in though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Other players kneeled, and they still have jobs.  Sheldon Richardson sat on the bench during the anthem, and he got a UFA contract.  Marquise Goodwin knelt and still got a new deal.  Malcolm Butler knelt and got a huge contract.  Why would those guys have jobs, let alone big contracts, and not Kaep?  If Eric Reid was a "darned good player", then why did SF spend mutliple draft picks in the last 4 seasons on guys like Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt to replace him?  Why did they resort to playing him at LB?  They were willing to extend other players that knelt (see Goodwin), so why not Reid?  Perhaps it's a player quality issue instead?  How many safeties signed big contracts this offseason?  Context matters.

Think about this: you're going so far as to try to discredit Peter Freakin' King--a guy that has worked in NFL circles for 4 decades and routinely reports information from sources close to teams--to stick to a talking point.  Does that seem reasonable to you?

I doubt we're going to reach any common ground on this, so forgive me if I don't respond to each and every point.  If something discussion-worthy comes along I'm happy to chime in though.

I haven't discredited him at all, I'm saying you're overstating what the meaning of what he reported with it being overtly obvious regarding what his priorities are.  King didn't conclude that, you did. 

Kaepernick and Reid began the on-field protests and they are now paying the price.  

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I haven't discredited him at all

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Weak!  Peter King has no inside knowledge and he just reported what some inside the 49ers organization believe might be CK's priority.  Again I state that there's nothing overtly obvious about what his priorities are based on that article or your opinion based on his actions. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Did he know what Kapernick's priorities were at the time of the 2017 article?  No.  He simply reported the opinion of what some people in the 49ers organization thought.  That's no discredit of King at all. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Kaep is better than any back up QB outside Nick Foles. In terms of starters he's better than I offer: Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Jameis Winston, Josh McCown, Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, and Marcus Mariota. You can debate the likes of Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannheill. 

I don't deny that his presence would draw attention but the issue of the slaughter of young black men by law enforcement isn't going away. There are enough black NFL stars on the BLM side of this issue to bring a halt to proceedings on any given Sunday. 

The fact is that NFL owners are colluding against him for his political expressions and thereby denying him a right to his livelihood. It is not unlike Muhammad Ali's ban from boxing for refusing military service in the Vietnam war.

How is he better than Alex Smith?? You hurt your argument there.

why are the owners colluding to keep him out, yet reward other kneelers with new contracts (former Bill Goodwin kneeled every game)?

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why are the owners colluding to keep him out,

Ever work somewhere, there is a great employee with lots of baggage.  Just more than anyone wants to put up with.  They get let go.  Just not worth it in spite of how well they are.  That could be it here.  You suggest collusion, but it could be as simple as what I've laid out

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did he know what Kapernick's priorities were at the time of the 2017 article?  No.  He simply reported the opinion of what some people in the 49ers organization thought.  That's no discredit of King at all. 

So basically, because we don't live inside Kaep's brain, we can't draw any meaningful conclusion on what his priorities may or may not be.  We have reports from basically co-workers, but those don't count.  We have to accept, against all evidence to the contrary, that playing football was Kaep's #1 priority.

I'm sure you'll manage to very consistent with this take in the upcoming season.  Bookmarked.  

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Has anyone changed their mind on this issue yet?  Or ever?

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Has anyone changed their mind on this issue yet?  Or ever?

I didn’t really care when he first started taking a knee, but now I’m very happy that he’s out of the league. :) 

30 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Ever work somewhere, there is a great employee with lots of baggage.  Just more than anyone wants to put up with.  They get let go.  Just not worth it in spite of how well they are.  That could be it here.  You suggest collusion, but it could be as simple as what I've laid out

I wasn’t suggesting collusion

On 7/4/2018 at 10:59 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so let the truth be known besides not being a good football player.....him and RG II 1/8 were one trick ponies quickly figured out by DC's...........

Oh no......He will be forced to apologize, and be fired after that comment.

• Like (+1) 1

I am kind of right between Bandit and 26. 

I think it absolutely the case that Kaepernick is not good enough to counter the distraction. I personally have heard sufficient reports that suggesy OBJ isn't exactly a football 1st guy either (he will reitre shockingly early). But he is dominant on the field and doesn't play Quarterback. It gets lived with. 

I was never a Kaep lover when he was getting all the props. He played for the best coordinater in the league at hiding a limited 1 read Quarterback who can run - Greg Roman. When Harbaugh (the walking ego) demanded Roman "open up the playbook" for Kaep he immediately regressed. He can't do it. That said, he is (without the baggae) certainly worthy of a backup job and there will be worse Quarterbacks who start games in the NFL this year and as others in this threat have intimated it is very possible one of them does so for our Bills. But a Quarterback who isn't football first and brings a media storm to my building every time he speaks to the press? Yea, I am passing on that. 

Where 26 is absolutely 100% right however is that Kaepernick is also suffering from being the first to raise the issue. He opened Pandora's box and while I don't think the owners are colluding against him it is a league of rich, white, conservative owners who I think purely on an individual basis resent the fact that they are still now dealing with this mess 2 years later because of Kaepernick and are being forced to choose between their employees and their customers. 

Plenty of other players over the years whose commitment to the game is questionable, who bring more baggage than Santa at Xmas but can improve a team have had someone take a shot at some stage.

So it is a bit of both in truth that is keeping him out of the league. It is a bit he is not worth the hassle and it is a bit "I hate that he started this thing we have lost control of."

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am kind of right between Bandit and 26. 

I think it absolutely the case that Kaepernick is not good enough to counter the distraction. I personally have heard sufficient reports that suggesy OBJ isn't exactly a football 1st guy either (he will reitre shockingly early). But he is dominant on the field and doesn't play Quarterback. It gets lived with. 

I was never a Kaep lover when he was getting all the props. He played for the best coordinater in the league at hiding a limited 1 read Quarterback who can run - Greg Roman. When Harbaugh (the walking ego) demanded Roman "open up the playbook" for Kaep he immediately regressed. He can't do it. That said, he is (without the baggae) certainly worthy of a backup job and there will be worse Quarterbacks who start games in the NFL this year and as others in this threat have intimated it is very possible one of them does so for our Bills. But a Quarterback who isn't football first and brings a media storm to my building every time he speaks to the press? Yea, I am passing on that. 

Exactly.  I actually don't think your opinion deviates from mine in any way.  A QB that isn't football-first is a big enough red flag on his own; that his on-field ability has nosedived the last 2 active seasons has put him in a spot where he's not worth the additional headache.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Exactly.  I actually don't think your opinion deviates from mine in any way.  A QB that isn't football-first is a big enough red flag on his own; that his on-field ability has nosedived the last 2 active seasons has put him in a spot where he's not worth the additional headache.

What I meant by that really though is bringing in a guy in March and having him in my building to be my bridge or my backup (he isn't good enough to be a long term starter).

Where I think he is being punished by the league for opening Pandora's Box is that normally baggage guys (even ones not worth the hassle) get a shot when desperation time hits. Mid season Broncos last year or the Texans when Watson went down were teams who could have signed Kaepernick until the end of the season as a short term way of keeping their seasons alive. Especially Houston who didn't have tpoworry about people wanting Kaep to stay the starter if he played well because they have one of the hottest young QBs on the planet. At least in part Houston didn't sign Kaep because the owner hates the positions he personally has been put in by the situation that Kaep created. I am pretty convinced of that. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What I meant by that really though is bringing in a guy in March and having him in my building to be my bridge or my backup (he isn't good enough to be a long term starter).

Where I think he is being punished by the league for opening Pandora's Box is that normally baggage guys (even ones not worth the hassle) get a shot when desperation time hits. Mid season Broncos last year or the Texans when Watson went down were teams who could have signed Kaepernick until the end of the season as a short term way of keeping their seasons alive. Especially Houston who didn't have tpoworry about people wanting Kaep to stay the starter if he played well because they have one of the hottest young QBs on the planet. At least in part Houston didn't sign Kaep because the owner hates the positions he personally has been put in by the situation that Kaep created. I am pretty convinced of that. 

McNair and Kaepernick.  :lol:

You know, I am starting to hate this subject.  It went way off subject. There are probably 50 former players that should be on an NFL roster today,

But for some reason, they are not.  Asking to much money, not a team player, lazy, bad agent, Stressful Dumbbell Throwing Syndrome (SDTS)

I honestly believe he is just plain not a good QB.

Just now, THE SLAMMER said:

You know, I am starting to hate this subject.  It went way off subject. There are probably 50 former players that should be on an NFL roster today,

But for some reason, they are not.  Asking to much money, not a team player, lazy, bad agent, Stressful Dumbbell Throwing Syndrome (SDTS)

I honestly believe he is just plain not a good QB.

As the thread originator you have the ability to shut it down at any time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

...put all politics, stances, kneels, etc aside for a moment because they don't mean a damn thing to me....all that counts is "between the white stripes".......both Kaep and RG III enjoyed success early on and BOTH sought out the limelight to let the world know it......with RG III , it was also "Daddy RG" in the news as if he was necessary....seemed like almost every Sportscenter was RG III and listening to him lecture how good he was and NEVER hesitated to throw a teammate under the bus.....next up was Kaep with early on success followed by his "tats 'n poses" routines.....despite their early successes, both seemed to lose their focus on football or what the hell they were getting paid for, opted for the limelight, and to me hardly showed much respect for the game and how much "bust your azz" effort is necessary to succeed just like all of the greats have shown.....hence, these "one trick ponies" quickly took their eye "off the ball" and were easily figured out by DC's league wide.....RG II 1/8 STILL getting paid is borderline extortion or "impersonating an NFL QB".....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Mods, please close, time to retire to thread heaven

My next thread will be WHO WAS BETTER LOSMAN OR EDWARDS  :nana:

only kidding

Edited by THE SLAMMER

11 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

only kidding

....so then start another TT thread....we're due for a new one, right??....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...well, it's been awhile, right??............

I don't think anyone cares anymore. UNTIL he throws for 400 yards and 5 TDs

Not in my lifetime....lol

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In a similar vein it's kind of hard not to see Kaep as potentially an upgrade to Brett Hundley.  5-4 instead of 3-6 would have put them in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

only kidding

Better be

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Thread locked at originator's request