Julio Jones Trade possibilty?

9 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...do we even know what the hell we have with guys getting healthy, re-signings, draftees, etc before automatically thinking the "grass MUST be greener on the other side"?....how about the ongoing dichotomy of opinions on "$16 Mil Sammy"?.............

I know we don’t have Julio Jones. Our WR corps has a combined 1 good season.  Stop looking for a feel good story. 

I wouldn't expect this, but wouldn't completely rule it out.  Beane has been making smart moves, and let's be honest, some real steals (waiting until the FA feeding frenzy was over then picking up AJ for a bag of footballs for example).  Odds are, he'll give them an offer they're not crazy about and wait.  Either Atlanta gives in to Julio, or they eventually buckle and accept Buffalo's offer.  And the key to this is...Beane won't budge, and if that costs them Julio, ah well.  And Atlanta will know that.

18 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think the odds of him being traded are very low, however, the Falcons did just draft his replacement and they already have a very solid group of guys at wr.  Add that up with his contract situation makes it all the more possible.  I still think the odds are low but is not on the same line as Brady or Rodgers being traded.

No they didn't. They drafted a WR2 to help him, not his replacement

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m not sure what all Beane plans to spend the money on, but at a guess, it isn’t gonna be a splash, PR-intensive WR trade where he then has to sign the guy.

I wouldn’t rule out Beane doing that at some point in the future, when he thinks That One Guy is the missing piece - but do you see us as there, at the moment?

You don't get there without top offensive threats.  Our number 1 WR is a lumbering tall of  questionable durability.

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the case. The WR corps is very much an issue as we saw last season. 

That's because they traded Watkins, not because they spent so much to get him.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

No they didn't. They drafted a WR2 to help him, not his replacement

He is definitely not a 2nd wr in the NFL.  Maybe on day 1 he is but a year or two down the road this kid is definitely going to be number 1 wr talent.  Julio Jones will be 30 after this season.  They drafted Ridley now to be the eventual replacement for Jones.

Nope. All things considered (cost, age, injury history) it would likely be a terrible move. Draft and develop your own. Consider the occasional FA that might make (more) sense in the right circumstances. Patience. This team is a couple of years away. No quick fixes. Deal with it.

Not happening anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Nope. All things considered (cost, age, injury history) it would likely be a terrible move. Draft and develop your own. Consider the occasional FA that might make (more) sense in the right circumstances. Patience. This team is a couple of years away. No quick fixes. Deal with it.

Not happening anyway.

Ah, the perpetual re build philosophy.  With that attitude your always gonna be a few years away

screw that, let's go for it all THIS YEAR & EVERY YEAR.

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Not happening anyway.

...so Mr.Home Depot gave Matty Ice $100 mil to throw to an "unhappy Julio"?.......give 'em a new HUSKY tool set with loot in every drawer....he'll stay put......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If the Falcons want to get Julio into camp maybe they could just threaten trading him to the Bills and our unknown QB’s?     ?

...naw Augie, that would be purgatory......Cleveland with Hugh and Haley's Comet would be PURE HELL.....

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Ah, the perpetual re build philosophy.  With that attitude your always gonna be a few years away

Sure, since we have plenty of salary cap space.  Got the below from here

NFL salary cap: $177.2 million
2017 rollover: $11.58 million
2018 Adjusted Salary Cap: $188.78 million
All player contracts: $144.6 million
Top-51 contracts: $125.9 million
Dead cap space: $46.9 million
Josh Allen projection: $3.5 million ($3 million on Top-51)
Top-51 including Allen: $128.9 million
Total salary cap commitments (Top-51 + Allen + dead money): $175.8 million

Buffalo Bills current workable cap space: $12.98 million

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

A few years away assuming things stay on track and go the way we want them to.

Nothing is guaranteed. 

Great as he is Julio Jones isn't making this team a contender in 2018. Blowing your brains out today to land him is more likely to set you back than move you closer to the day you might otherwise be in a position to compete.

Having said that of course you do everything you can to win every game. 

26 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

A few years away assuming things stay on track and go the way we want them to.

Nothing is guaranteed

All the more reason to go balls out. In the age of the sAlary cap and FA you can't fool around with long team building plans.  Every year you're turning over 20% if you're lucky it's only that much. By the time we get those WRs next year and producing, then Shady will be gone. Milano and the Teredavian Nightmare will be ready cash in a la Happy Gilmore along with others

The days of the 4 year rebuilding plan are over and have been over for a while now IMHO.

38 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Sure, since we have plenty of salary cap space.  Got the below from here

NFL salary cap: $177.2 million
2017 rollover: $11.58 million
2018 Adjusted Salary Cap: $188.78 million
All player contracts: $144.6 million
Top-51 contracts: $125.9 million
Dead cap space: $46.9 million
Josh Allen projection: $3.5 million ($3 million on Top-51)
Top-51 including Allen: $128.9 million
Total salary cap commitments (Top-51 + Allen + dead money): $175.8 million

Buffalo Bills current workable cap space: $12.98 million

I don't even  pretend to know anything about the sAlary cap. I leave that to the resident capologists.  I'm a football fan, not an accounting fan..

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't even  pretend to know anything about the sAlary cap. I leave that to the resident capologists.  I'm a football fan, not an accounting fan..

I'm not a salary cap expert, either.  But I do know that with just under $13M for 2018, there is no way we can afford a big splash free agent.  I know you want to win now (so do I) but the reality of the situation is we will have to wait until next year when our cap situation is much better.  McD and Beane will build through the draft first, and what they can't get through the draft, FA is the next step...possibly a big splash FA if he is the guy that will fill a major hole and allow the Bills to win now.

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

It’d make no sense for the Bills to trade for a receiver on the back 9 of his career to accompany our rookie QB. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to it at all from an age standpoint. An established all pro WR would help out a rookie QB (assuming he plays) immensely. He’s only 29, not like he’s 35. We have tons of young WRs to grow up with Allen. Could really use a Julio Jones. Still a pipe dream, I’m aware. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

He is definitely not a 2nd wr in the NFL.  Maybe on day 1 he is but a year or two down the road this kid is definitely going to be number 1 wr talent.  Julio Jones will be 30 after this season.  They drafted Ridley now to be the eventual replacement for Jones.

If Ridley is their WR1 the Falcons are in a whole lot of trouble

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to it at all from an age standpoint. An established all pro WR would help out a rookie QB (assuming he plays) immensely. He’s only 29, not like he’s 35. We have tons of young WRs to grow up with Allen. Could really use a Julio Jones. Still a pipe dream, I’m aware. 

I just dont know if I want to be tied down to a huge contract like that.....

I realize we have/will have cap money.......but giving out bad contracts is one of the things that have hurt this team over the years.

Everyone talks about defense with next years 1st round pick......I say enough of that and give me a blue chip pass catcher to go with Josh Allen.

Just because the Bills frequently trade away their best players for next to nothing, especially when those players are among the best in the NFL, doesn't mean that other teams are as disinterested in winning football games.  For those suffering from memory impairment, Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch are two ex-Bills who were about the same caliber as Jones when the Bills traded them away for the equivalent of used athletic equipment. 

Even if Jones were to be available for trade, the Bills wouldn't be interested.  The current regime doesn't seem interested in adding top players, especially on offense.