World Cup 2018 Thread

On 7/4/2018 at 2:56 AM, KD in CA said:

And a hell of a save on the 4th PK by their goalie, who looked terrified at the start of the shootout.

Colombia was playing some serious thugball.  I never saw a game with that many yellow cards.

I'm late to the thread but that was the chippy-est game I have ever seen.   Both teams were pushing the limit.  And the goalie save on the 4PK would have to be in the running for save of the Cup.

2 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Belgium looked great.  That was a very fun game.

Can't wait to see them against France in what could be the match of the tournament and in my opinion what determines the champion.

4 hours ago, poblano said:

Can't wait to see them against France in what could be the match of the tournament and in my opinion what determines the champion.

You are placing large wagers on this belief?

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

You are placing large wagers on this belief?

No just standing in my point that when most people said the usual favorites i see France with potential to win, so if Belgium beat them ...

5 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

World Cup fever is sweeping the nation. Sales of waistcoats are skyrocketing because of Gareth Southgate. Belief is at an all-time high.

I reckon we'll lose 2-1. :D

They looked really good....don't expect much work will get done in England on Wednesday.

Great game.  Heartbreaking finish.  Cheers to Russia for showing so much heart.  They did better than anyone would have thought possible.

37 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Oh boy another match decided by penalty kicks. Soccer sucks. :lol:

Cool.  Nice trolling.  You’re a child.

51 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Great game.  Heartbreaking finish.  Cheers to Russia for showing so much heart.  They did better than anyone would have thought possible.

Cool.  Nice trolling.  You’re a child.

U mad metro?

biggest event in the sport can’t resolve a match by playing the sport. 

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Oh boy another match decided by penalty kicks. Soccer sucks. :lol:

This never happens in Champions League or Europa League due to the fact that they play 2 matches instead of one.

It would never happen for the World Cup but it would reduce the chances of ties. 

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why can't they just keep on playing.  Cricket goes days...

As a casual fan, I'd say it's because these guys are completely spent after 2 hours.   It's not like hockey were you're cycling 3-4 shifts so guys are getting breaks;  for the most part it's the same guys on the field the whole game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As a casual fan, I'd say it's because these guys are completely spent after 2 hours.   It's not like hockey were you're cycling 3-4 shifts so guys are getting breaks;  for the most part it's the same guys on the field the whole game.

Exactly. But as I stated above, this doesn’t happen in the champions league becaue over 2 games and the away goal rule makes it practically impossible to end the game in a tie.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

During the Stanley Cup, they don't coast on the ice.  They pretty much go all out on each shift.   They are spent at the end of the game.   Soccer players are on the field more but they aren't going full out every minute.   So each sport demands a different kind of endurance but I am sure at the end they are both equally exhausted.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, row_33 said:

You know Russia is already booked into the final...

They must have had the wrong booking agent.

6 minutes ago, meazza said:

Exactly. But as I stated above, this doesn’t happen in the champions league becaue over 2 games and the away goal rule makes it practically impossible to end the game in a tie.  

The CL final goes to penalties after extra time.  It has happened many times.  The regular (non final) ties are home-and-home.  Obviously, that’s not possible for neutral site games and international tournaments.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, row_33 said:

another Luther B memorializer :D

you are a bit kind for some examples presented as fulfilling promises, but appreciated fully....  Ian Rush, Gazza, Denis Law are my top busts.  

Watched and read the whole Gazza fiasco daily as each outrage erupted, learned how to hear and read Italian through sports lingo, sadly Gianni Brera died just at the start of this fun.

joe Jordan did what he could, it was awesome seeing him get into it on the sidelines in a Milan game as a coach with Spurs a few years ago

the best historic UK move to Italy was John Charles, a bit before my time, quite the gentleman and overall talent from what I have read and watched

Well Gazza was a bit... special.

Yeah, Charles was a major deal. But I did not think anyone else had heard of him...

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Sterling is like Sammy Watkins.  You keep waiting for the great moment.....and keep waiting....

He is playing a different role than that he normally plays for his club. Apart from the finishing I thought he had an excellent game - he ran the Swedish back four ragged and this opened up a normally very solid back four far more than they normally are.

Wish he would score a bally goal though...

On 7/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I could miss the net like that! and like that too!!!!

Missing chances like that was my one exceptional skill when I was kicking a ball around on a football field...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

During the Stanley Cup, they don't coast on the ice.  They pretty much go all out on each shift.   They are spent at the end of the game.   Soccer players are on the field more but they aren't going full out every minute.   So each sport demands a different kind of endurance but I am sure at the end they are both equally exhausted.

Never mind the fact that in hockey there’s actual physical contact 

12 hours ago, meazza said:

Only until the final.  

12 hours ago, Greybeard said:

They must have had the wrong booking agent.

I would counter this by pointing out hockey players are required to go balls to the walls for 45 seconds and then get a breather.  Add in TV timeouts and stoppages, and there's a lot of dead time even in hockey.  Soccer allows for three subs the entire game.  FIFA just introduced the introduction of a fourth sub if it goes into extra time.  

On 7/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, stony said:

Only until the final.  

I would counter this by pointing out hockey players are required to go balls to the walls for 45 seconds and then get a breather.  Add in TV timeouts and stoppages, and there's a lot of dead time even in hockey.  Soccer allows for three subs the entire game.  FIFA just introduced the introduction of a fourth sub if it goes into extra time.  

They also announced an announcement, or so I heard.