[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Florida made it interesting at the end, but Buffalo hung on for the win. Those were 2 very important points earned tonight, especially with Montreal up by 2 with 4 mins left and the NYI tied at 2 headed into OT.  It keeps Buffalo in a playoff spot (for now).

24 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Phew, another freaking one goal game wtf

Right?!  All these 1 goal games are not good for my blood pressure... lol. 

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

If those two are able to score a bit more without Jack, it’s pretty much a given that they should experiment and see if Eichel can kickstart Thompson/Sheary. 

Under no circumstances should the Jack line be changed to help fix another line. You just do the best you  can with the secondary lines and hope that they can at least marginally contribute with added scoring produced by the defensemen. 

I thought that Tage played well in this game. In a year or so when his body fills out he is going to be a productive weapon for us. Let's hope that Mitts will develop more fully after a full season. This is far from being a complete team. I prefer not mortgaging any of our future assets for a short-term gain. Trust the process. 

40 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Big Hands, ...............Fast Eyes, Fast Legs, Rocket Arm...

yea,, chicks be thinking something different.

Lord i hate my tiny hands!!!

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Under no circumstances should the Jack line be changed to help fix another line. You just do the best you  can with the secondary lines and hope that they can at least marginally contribute with added scoring produced by the defensemen. 

I thought that Tage played well in this game. In a year or so when his body fills out he is going to be a productive weapon for us. Let's hope that Mitts will develop more fully after a full season. This is far from being a complete team. I prefer not mortgaging any of our future assets for a short-term gain. Trust the process. 

dude, we are in a position to make some moves. A #2 center is desperately needed..and this team and fan base needs a playoff appearance. 3 number 1s..eh. Get me one so for a combination of picks and decent prospect like Olufson or Smith..i all good.

BTW, Ullmark should be the #1 at least for the time being

Edited by plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

dude, we are in a position to make some moves. A #2 center is desperately needed..and this team and fan base needs a playoff appearance. 3 number 1s..eh. Get me one so for a combination of picks and decent prospect like Olufson or Smith..i all good.

BTW, Ullmark should be the #1 at least for the time being

Nope, I'm not panicking and selling off assets. For what you are offering you are not going to get a #2 center unless it is a rental. I see Mitts being our future #2 center. He won't be an authentic #2 this year but I believe he will be by next year. 

The Sabres are going to be vying for a wild-card playoff spot. That's the caliber of team they are right now. In my mind they are positioned where they should be. Be patient and let players such as Mitt and Tage develop. I'm counting on them to make a significant leap next year. Trust the process. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Nope, I'm not panicking and selling off assets. For what you are offering you are not going to get a #2 center unless it is a rental. I see Mitts being our future #2 center. He won't be an authentic #2 this year but I believe he will be by next year. 

The Sabres are going to be vying for a wild-card playoff spot. That's the caliber of team they are right now. In my mind they are positioned where they should be. Be patient and let players such as Mitt and Tage develop. I'm counting on them to make a significant leap next year. Trust the process. 

Screw the process   You like to hold assets for future , ala Kane two years ago  ?I like to recognize an opportunity today. As you are fully aware , I am not a huge Risto fan going back to two years where the numbers said he was a net nagative, and you and everyone in this thread killed me. . include him and a prospect and first and get a # 2 center now. 

We we need some fun and hope, not more staybthe freaking course for a day that may never come. 

All IMHO of course?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Screw the process   You like to hold assets for future , ala Kane two years ago  ?I like to recognize an opportunity today. As you are fully aware , I am not a huge Risto fan going back to two years where the numbers said he was a net nagative, and you and everyone in this thread killed me. . include him and a prospect and first and get a # 2 center now. 

We we need some fun and hope, not more staybthe freaking course for a day that may never come.

All IMHO of course?

You are exaggerating what the Kane return could bring because he was a player who was entering his free agent year and was also a player who had character issues. We got what we could for him and retained cap space. The market wasn't as rich as you think it was. 

You may not be enamored with Risto but the organization thinks highly of him. He is our anchor defenseman who gets more ice time than any player on the team. 

I don't understand your lamentations about hope? The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. They were dreadful and unwatchable. Now they are serious wild-card playoff contenders and for the most part entertaining to watch. The competition to get in the playoffs will probably go to the wire. If that isn't progress then I don't know what is. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. ?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

All IMHO of course?

I generally agree with you, but I think you're undervaluing Risto. He's a keeper, especially since he's got a better defense crew around him.  Two years ago, who did he have to help him out?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This team will go nowhere as long as essentially all production comes from one line. If Reinhart/Skinner are able to generate steady offense in Jack’s absence (a huge if), there is absolutely zero harm in throwing him on a new line when he gets back. It’s not like it would be permanent. You see if he can spark a second line and if not, you move him back. He won’t auddenly lose his chemistry with those two if he’s away from them for a couple games. Then there’s the Pittsburgh model of throwing the big guns together during a game when a goal is badly needed. There’s absolutely nothing to lose in the big picture by testing this out.  

Again, it’s all one huge if. And quite frankly, I don’t see them producing consistently while he’s out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Phil:

Nice, much needed win. Well done.

Now, get your head out of your ass and get Dahlin back on the left side where he belongs. Doesn’t matter what you do with Scandella. 

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

This team will go nowhere as long as essentially all production comes from one line. If Reinhart/Skinner are able to generate steady offense in Jack’s absence (a huge if), there is absolutely zero harm in throwing him on a new line when he gets back. It’s not like it would be permanent. You see if he can spark a second line and if not, you move him back. He won’t auddenly lose his chemistry with those two if he’s away from them for a couple games. Then there’s the Pittsburgh model of throwing the big guns together during a game when a goal is badly needed. There’s absolutely nothing to lose in the big picture by testing this out.  

Again, it’s all one huge if. And quite frankly, I don’t see them producing consistently while he’s out. 

I understand your position but I still resolutely say no. I agree with you that the Sabres are very unbalanced in scoring. The obvious reality is that this is simply not a complete team. The Pittsburgh model of spreading out the big boy talent won't work here because even with their secondary lines they have more talent. My hope is that Tage and Mitts and others can marginally increase their production with the contribution from the defensemen to spread out the scoring a little more. 

The Sabres are a team that is going to fight for a wild-card spot up to the end of the season. That's what they are and that's where they are at. This team has made a quantum leap from last year to this year. I'm not totally satisfied yet I'm not complaining. Don't take the expedient route and the expense of the future more rewarding route. We are not there yet but we are not that far away from being a serious team. Trust the process and you will be rewarded.  

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are exaggerating what the Kane return could bring because he was a player who was entering his free agent year and was also a player who had character issues. We got what we could for him and retained cap space. The market wasn't as rich as you think it was. 

You may not be enamored with Risto but the organization thinks highly of him. He is our anchor defenseman who gets more ice time than any player on the team. 

I don't understand your lamentations about hope? The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. They were dreadful and unwatchable. Now they are serious wild-card playoff contenders and for the most part entertaining to watch. The competition to get in the playoffs will probably go to the wire. If that isn't progress then I don't know what is. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. ?

I wanted Kane gone  the the middle of his second year, a full year before his walk year. I know you remember those arguments?

The Sabres have been the worst team in the league 3 of the last 5 years. Every year for the last 3 has had a plan on how next year would be our year. Next year is now! 3 first rounders , I would rather have a 2nd line center now.  We need some freaking hope and olayoff games! 

Edited by plenzmd1

10 hours ago, snafu said:

I generally agree with you, but I think you're undervaluing Risto. He's a keeper, especially since he's got a better defense crew around him.  Two years ago, who did he have to help him out?

The individual analytics that Plez used for Risto when he was playing on an expansion caliber team do not reflect the actual talent and his potential. Right now Risto is the anchor on that much upgraded unit. In addition, because of the increase in talent it has allowed him to expand his offensive game. Risto represents the hope of this franchise in that younger players getting better and growing together. 

If one compares our defensive unit of a few years back to the current defensive unit (which will get even better) then one would be optimistic about the upward trajectory of this unit and team. When the plan is starting to work that is not the time to get frustrated and impatient and deviate from what is working. 

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I wanted Kane gone  the the middle of his second year, a full year before his walk year. I know you remember those arguments?

The Sabres have been the worst team in the league 3 of the last 5 years. Every year for the last 3 has had a plan on how next year would be our year. Next year is now! 3 first rounders , I would rather have a 2nd line center now.  We need some freaking hope and olayoff games! 

How many scorers did the Sabres have on their important team? He was one of two who could put the puck in the net. You keep pointing out that you wanted him gone but what you don't say is what you could get for him. I'll repeat what I have already said about his market appeal: Because of his troubling behavioral issues his market value wasn't as high as you are making it out to be. You have to consider what the return is for a player who is an actual asset for you on a team with minimal assets. 

The Sabres had a #2 center in ROR. The organization traded him for a variety of reasons. It knew full well that when he was dealt that his replacement was not going to be as good as he was. But a deal was still made in order to reshuffle the roster and the salary structure and move up a younger player (Mitts) to take his role with the future in mind. That was the plan and that was what was executed. 

The gruesome process of bottoming out is over with. The worst team in the league last year is now competing for a playoff spot.  At the half-way point the Sabres have earned 50 points. That is freaking progress! I don't know why you continue to dwell on the gut wrenching past when the present is competitive and entertaining and the future is bright. 

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How many scorers did the Sabres have on their important team? He was one of two who could put the puck in the net. You keep pointing out that you wanted him gone but what you don't say is what you could get for him. I'll repeat what I have already said about his market appeal: Because of his troubling behavioral issues his market value wasn't as high as you are making it out to be. You have to consider what the return is for a player who is an actual asset for you on a team with minimal assets. 

The Sabres had a #2 center in ROR. The organization traded him for a variety of reasons. It knew full well that when he was dealt that his replacement was not going to be as good as he was. But a deal was still made in order to reshuffle the roster and the salary structure and move up a younger player (Mitts) to take his role with the future in mind. That was the plan and that was what was executed. 

The gruesome process of bottoming out is over with. The worst team in the league last year is now competing for a playoff spot.  At the half-way point the Sabres have earned 50 points. That is freaking progress! I don't know why you continue to dwell on the gut wrenching past when the present is competitive and entertaining and the future is bright. 

Because they can be more than competitive NOW. they have 3 first round picks, some talent in Rochester that will be redundant or just never make it here but that other teams will take a chance on. I want a hockey trade..not a rental. This is now year 5 of the rebuild...we supposed to wait 7?  

We have some assets..use them before "potential" turns into "i aint taking your career AHLer in a trade". This team is not good enough as currently construed, every advanced analytic points to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Because they can be more than competitive NOW. they have 3 first round picks, some talent in Rochester that will be redundant or just never make it here but that other teams will take a chance on. I want a hockey trade..not a rental. This is now year 5 of the rebuild...we supposed to wait 7?  

We have some assets..use them before "potential" turns into "i aint taking your career AHLer in a trade". This team is not good enough as currently construed, every advanced analytic points to that. 

Hockey more than any other sport makes deals, especially at the trade deadline. However, teams are reluctant to give up high end talent unless the player is about to be a free agent and the team knows that it can't sign that player. So a deal is made for the sake of a deal even if it is an unbalanced deal. The Skinner trade is an example of that type of deal, and it must be noted that it was made in the offseason. I just don't see our GM making a deal for a rental at the cost of giving up young assets. 

Botterill, as with every GM in the game, is open to make a fair value deal. For him, I'm sure it has to fit in with his team's trajectory of young players growing together with the hope that in the near future the team will be competing at the highest level. That means trading for a young player who is currently productive and still has an upside. That's the ideal. But the reality is that few teams are going to give up their talented young players. My point is that market we would be most interested in is very limited. 

What talent on Rochester is so enticing to other teams? Nylander? He is a player that this organization is invested in developing and hopefully will be a forward on the second line for us. As far as I'm concerned he is a "no touch" player because I see him playing in Buffalo this season. 

I just don't see a significant deal being made in the horizon. Hang in there and trust the process for the simple reason that it is working. In my estimation the Sabres will be fighting for a playoff spot right up to the end of the season. I'm more than satisfied with the current situation. I'm not willing to hurt the near future for a short term gain. As much as you dislike that approach I'm still advocating for staying the course. 

51 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Trading those first round picks is a bit tricky.  The San Jose and St. Louis ones are still tied up in conditions right now.  The Sharks can keep their pick this year if they miss the playoffs.  It's not likely that they miss, but it is still possible.  The Blues can keep their pick this year if it is top 10.  Right now, that is looking like a very strong possibility.

The Sabres' first round pick could be the only one that is in play.  Teams aren't going to be too crazy about picks where they don't even know which year they will be from... and that is before Buffalo probably tries to throw conditions of their own onto the deal.

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your position but I still resolutely say no. I agree with you that the Sabres are very unbalanced in scoring. The obvious reality is that this is simply not a complete team. The Pittsburgh model of spreading out the big boy talent won't work here because even with their secondary lines they have more talent. My hope is that Tage and Mitts and others can marginally increase their production with the contribution from the defensemen to spread out the scoring a little more. 

The Sabres are a team that is going to fight for a wild-card spot up to the end of the season. That's what they are and that's where they are at. This team has made a quantum leap from last year to this year. I'm not totally satisfied yet I'm not complaining. Don't take the expedient route and the expense of the future more rewarding route. We are not there yet but we are not that far away from being a serious team. Trust the process and you will be rewarded.  

Well either way, at least we can both agree on the need for help at the center position.  Tage really is the best hope for secondary scoring this year at this point.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Well either way, at least we can both agree on the need for help at the center position.  Tage really is the best hope for secondary scoring this year at this point.

There's is no disguising the fact that this isn't a complete team. That's the stark reality that is evident to all who watch the games. We currently don't have a #2 center and also #2 line forward players. On the other hand I do believe that by next year Casey Mittelstadt and Tage Thompson and Nylander will grow into authentic second line players. 

Although the production numbers aren't there when you watch Mittelstadt and especially Tage you can see the potential. Getting them the playing time is more important/valuable than replacing them with more productive veterans who don't have the upside. The fastest way to activate that potential is to play them. 

My ambition is not for this team to be above average. That can be done with some expedient moves that in the long run will prove to be detrimental. My ambition is for this team to strive to be a cup contending team in the not too distant future. That high ambition can be attained if the process is smartly played out. 

Nylander is an interesting name to see pop up.  If he can make the jump, things definitely get a bit more interesting.  With the core they have, even just a couple of these 50/50 prospects hitting will take the team to the next level.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Nylander is an interesting name to see pop up.  If he can make the jump, things definitely get a bit more interesting.  With the core they have, even just a couple of these 50/50 prospects hitting will take the team to the next level.

Nylander is playing well in Rochester. He arguably earned a spot on Buffalo's roster out of camp based on his play. But it was thought that for his development getting more playing time in Rochester would be more beneficial. I believe that he will be called up sometime this season. If not I'm confident that he will be with Buffalo next year with a secure position. Hopefully it will be on the second line. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/10/1/17925656/buffalo-sabres-rochester-amerks-send-alex-nylander-and-brendan-guhle-to-the-ahl

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nylander is playing well in Rochester. He arguably earned a spot on Buffalo's roster out of camp based on his play. But it was thought that for his development getting more playing time in Rochester would be more beneficial. I believe that he will be called up sometime this season. If not I'm confident that he will be with Buffalo next year with a secure position. Hopefully it will be on the second line. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/10/1/17925656/buffalo-sabres-rochester-amerks-send-alex-nylander-and-brendan-guhle-to-the-ahl

Trade em now!!!Nylander, a 1, and Ukka Pekka..for a 25 yr old RFA looking for a huge raise

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Trade em now!!!Nylander, a 1, and Ukka Pekka..for a 25 yr old RFA looking for a huge raise

Absolutely not! Hell no! I will not yield and submit to this foolishness. When you are on the road to success why veer off course.

Nylander is going to be a top two line forward for us in the not too distant future. He is going to be part of the core that will make the Sabres a cup contending team. It would be foolish to deal this budding sterling to another team. 

If a major deal is to be made it is not going to happen during the season. It would more likely happen in the offseason. So stop acting as if your pants are on fire and acting out of desperation. Trust the process because it is working. :)

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Share this wise post with Plenzmd. He is  hardheaded and foolhardy.Because of his impatience and impetuousness he is willing to risk derailing  the franchise. Maybe he will listen to you because he goes out of his way to disregard what I have to say. That stubborn guy can be mulish. :)

It's important to develop your own. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/tage-thompson-hitting-his-stride-for-the-buffalo-sabres/71-ff3b18c0-3817-42ea-98c1-7a347f2e66c4

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-pilut-played-well-after-sitting-two-games

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are astute and perspicacious. ?

In my best @DC Tom voice , you both are idiots?

in all seriousness , I don’t want to trade for rentals , I want a hockey trade. We have a ton is assets, and an eon of time since the last playoff appearance. There can be a happy medium. 

Teams at at the bottom can off load some great assets at the wrong time based on records and salary demands , let’s take advantage tilt 

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

in all seriousness , I don’t want to trade for rentals , I want a hockey trade. We have a ton is assets, and an eon of time since the last playoff appearance. There can be a happy medium. 

Teams at at the bottom can off load some great assets at the wrong time based on records and salary demands , let’s take advantage tilt 

I'm mute, you #######.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Trading assets foolishly for possible short term gain is why this "rebuild" has taken so long.  It's what got GMTM fired. 

Mom not quite sure how the suggestion of trades winds up equating to trade away all of the top picks/prospects in some people’s minds (not you darin). As plenz suggests, there’s to so called hockey trade. Hell, a big part of the resurgence this year falls squarely on the shoulder of 2-3 trades made this year (I’m very hesitant to include the Sheary deal, but I will). That so called developing your own that John linked to? A recent trade acquisition and free agent signing. 

Having a few extra draft picks played zero role in that. 

Edited by shrader

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why would a bottom feeding team trade away a young asset when it represents a chance for future success? The Sabres have a few young players who have been groomed in the minors and even on the current roster (Tage, Mittelstadt, Pilot etc) who in a year or so will be core contributors. Things are starting to come together. This team was arguably the worst team in the league last year. Look where they are now! And look at the young players in the pipeline who are nearly ready to join the big club. That's clearly dramatic progress. Why deviate from the plan that is working? 

I don't know who you want to give up? No team is going to trade you a young talented player unless they are going to get back in return multiple young talented players. Why give upplayers such as Mittelstadt, Thompson, Guhle, Nylander and any of our own young prospects when they are close to being very good players for us. 

I do believe that our GM is not adverse to making a significant deal. But if he does it is more likely to happen around the time of the next draft. It's my belief that any deal that would be made sooner would not alter our position of being a wild-card contending team. So why deal off promising assets if it is not going to change your status and would more than likely hurt your near future prospect of being a serious Cup contending team?

I understand why you are impatient. However, I still am resolutely against what you are proposing. Trust the process and stay with the process. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

Mom not quite sure how the suggestion of trades winds up equating to trade away all of the top picks/prospects in some people’s minds (not you darin). As plenz suggests, there’s to so called hockey trade. Hell, a big part of the resurgence this year falls squarely on the shoulder of 2-3 trades made this year (I’m very hesitant to include the Sheary deal, but I will). That so called developing your own that John linked to? A recent trade acquisition and free agent signing. 

Having a few extra draft picks played zero role in that. 

I'm not inherently against any deal that will make this team better. I just don't see any team giving up good young player/s without getting player/s in return. As I have previously stated I don't see Botterill making an impacting deal until the offseason. What I am strongly against is giving up meaningful assets for a rental player/s. That makes no sense to me. 

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm mute, you #######.

Plenzmd can not be muted. He is too loquacious to be silenced. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Trading assets foolishly for possible short term gain is why this "rebuild" has taken so long.  It's what got GMTM fired. 

The root cause is that Murray was a douche bag.  His incompetence was an outcropping of that.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm on board with a trade. Given my limited knowledge of hockey, seems as if those first round picks generally aren't contributes immediately. Seems like it could be 2-3 years before those potential picks begin to pay off. Why not trade some of the savy older vets with a pick to get in a second line center, or someone who can score some more points behind the Eichel line?