[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So @26CornerBlitz, what does that mean? Sabres still eatin cap or no?

No, sir. 

I am not 100% sure but they might possibly have a (roughly) $1.6M cap hit for this season, for the 20 some games he was on the roster. But I’m not exactly sure how that works. 

Even if we do it’s not that big of a deal. All that really matters is that the Sabres are getting out of his $3.85M cap hit for the next 3 seasons (after this one). 

42 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No, sir. 

I am not 100% sure but they might possibly have a (roughly) $1.6M cap hit for this season, for the 20 some games he was on the roster. But I’m not exactly sure how that works. 

Even if we do it’s not that big of a deal. All that really matters is that the Sabres are getting out of his $3.85M cap hit for the next 3 seasons (after this one). 

I'm too lazy to do the math, but yeah, the prorated portion of however long he was with the team this year counts towards the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No, sir. 

This is what you call addition by subtraction. I minus that turned into a plus.  He didn't want to be here and the team had little interest in keeping him here. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm too lazy to do the math, but yeah, the prorated portion of however long he was with the team this year counts towards the cap.

That’s what I figured, thanks. 

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is what you call addition by subtraction. I minus that turned into a plus.  He didn't want to be here and the team had little interest in keeping him here. 

For sure!

He did us a favor. He didn’t want to be here and he was playing like it.

Then he (appears to have) quit when he wasn’t handed a steady role for his half-assed effort.

Getting out from under that contract without any cap penalty (a buyout would have been on the books for 6 years) or having to take on another team’s bad contract is a big win in my book. It would have been nice if he could have helped fill the secondary scoring void we have, but that didn’t happen.

His role on the team can be filled for MUCH cheaper than $3.85 x 4yrs. 

Plus, he was a big, slow player who is entering the downside of his career and still had multiple years left on a (bad) contract. The NHL is trending away from big, slow players like Berglund. We are lucky to be getting out of this contract now. Can you imagine what he would have been like in years 3+4? Yikes! lol 

He would have become a prime buyout candidate as they got closer to to the end of that 3-4 year window.  What has happened today is far from ideal, but it's definitely shaping up to be a blessing in disguise.  It will depend on what the story is when it eventually comes out, whether or not it reflects poorly on the team, but right now, it's found money.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s what I figured, thanks. 

For sure!

He did us a favor. He didn’t want to be here and he was playing like it.

Then he (appears to have) quit when he wasn’t handed a steady role for his half-assed effort.

Getting out from under that contract without any cap penalty (a buyout would have been on the books for 6 years) or having to take on another team’s bad contract is a big win in my book. It would have been nice if he could have helped fill the secondary scoring void we have, but that didn’t happen.

His role on the team can be filled for MUCH cheaper than $3.85 x 4yrs. 

Plus, he was a big, slow player who is entering the downside of his career and still had multiple years left on a (bad) contract. The NHL is trending away from big, slow players like Berglund. We are lucky to be getting out of this contract now. Can you imagine what he would have been like in years 3+4? Yikes! lol 

The ROR trade looks even better now. No question that Ryan was the best player in the deal and that he is playing well with the Blues. But from our standpoint if you include the erasing of Berglund's contract and him from the roster we have more cap space to sign Skinner and more roster flexibility.

As with all the pro sports now building a roster is more than signing talent. It is about getting value from your contracts within the cap structure. And it is about having a GM that can work within the cap without sacrificing future options. The key is not only developing talent but being able to retain talent when the younger players go into their next more remunerative contracts. An example of that is Sam Reinhart's contract situation. He recently signed a short term, bridge deal, and when that deal expires this franchise will be in better shape to retain him.  

I understand from Berglund's perspective that he was placed in a situation he didn't want to be in. Now he has options and so do the Sabres. I suspect that Bergund is going to lose a lot of money because of what transpired. That's his problem. I'm good with the outcome. 

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

He would have become a prime buyout candidate as they got closer to to the end of that 3-4 year window.  What has happened today is far from ideal, but it's definitely shaping up to be a blessing in disguise.  It will depend on what the story is when it eventually comes out, whether or not it reflects poorly on the team, but right now, it's found money.

What is there to reflect badly on the team? This team has been the surprise of the league from a positive standpoint. 

It's obvious even to outsiders that this was a typical talent to playing time ratio issue. This was far from being an Ottawa situation where internal discord and management chaos created a bad working environment. This situation with Berglund lacks much mystery and is easily understood by everyone associated with this hockey business. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is there to reflect badly on the team? This team has been the surprise of the league from a positive standpoint. 

It's obvious even to outsiders that this was a typical talent to playing time ratio issue. This was far from being an Ottawa situation where internal discord and management chaos created a bad working environment. This situation with Berglund lacks much mystery and is easily understood by everyone associated with this hockey business. 

I don't think it's very likely that there is something that reflects poorly upon the team, but I'm not going to ignore the possibility.  I really hate throwing out hypotheticals, but basically the situation that would reflect poorly is the whole mentality of "they'd terminate a guy with <insert issue here>? why would I want to sign there when they don't take care of their own?".

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I don't think it's very likely that there is something that reflects poorly upon the team, but I'm not going to ignore the possibility.  I really hate throwing out hypotheticals, but basically the situation that would reflect poorly is the whole mentality of "they'd terminate a guy with <insert issue here>? why would I want to sign there when they don't take care of their own?".

The league is an expanded family where players on each team have friends and associates (ex. media and contacts) from opposing teams. Other than the contract consideration what happened in Buffalo was not out of the ordinary. Players are constantly being moved up; and players are constantly being moved down. What is different about this situation is that for whatever reason Berglund allowed his no-trade clause to elapse. That's on him and his agent. So he ended up being dealt to a team and location where he didn't want to be. 

If Berglund was an upper echelon player and he acted as he did by not reporting then the speculation as to why this situation came to be would be at a more heightened level. That's not the case here. He was a pedestrian player who not only lost playing time but the chances of him regaining his playing time was diminishing as more players on the roster were rising. 

Right now the only player I am concerned about wanting to play in Buffalo is Skinner with his impending free agent status. As it stands we have plenty of home grown players on the team and on the farm from which we can draw from. 

This was one of the best Instigator segments on WGR with Paul Hamilton joining in with Peters and Rivet. They addressed some of the issues regarding the Florida game, including Yandel and Skinner fracas. What was more interesting was them free wheeling while talking about the team, players (including ROR) and prospects such as Guhle, Nylander and Bailey. This was good hockey talk for 43 minutes. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-19-hr-2-instigators

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (20-10-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 36 (NBCSN) vs. WSH (20-10-3) at 7 PM ET on 12/21; Patrik Berglund Placed on Unconditional Waivers with Intent to Terminate Contract
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (20-10-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 36 (NBCSN) vs. WSH (20-10-3) at 7 PM ET on 12/21; Patrik Berglund's Contract Will Be Terminated After Clearing Unconditional Waivers
32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm really hoping they get Skinner that extension, I think having Skinner has not only elevated himself but also Eichel. As both of them have put each other in good opportunities on scoring. They have some unbelievable passes.  

• Like (+1) 1

cut.png

Sabres vs. Capitals Game Preview

Dec. 21 vs. Buffalo Sabres at Capital One Arena

Time: 7:00 p.m.

TV: NBCSW

Radio: Capitals Radio 24/7, FAN 106.7

Buffalo Sabres 20-10-5

Washington Capitals 20-10-3

Washington finishes off a three-game homestand and starts a set of back-to-backs games on Friday night when it hosts the Buffalo Sabres for the second time in less than a week. The Caps edged Buffalo 4-3 in a shootout decision here last Saturday night.

In between the two games against the Sabres, the Caps dropped a 2-1 decision to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night in Washington. The loss to the Pens ended the Caps' five-game winning streak, and also halted Caps captain Alex Ovechkin's career high scoring streak at 14 straight games.

Du8XIzHW0AAsxS8.jpg

Game Preview: 12/21/18 at Washington

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Tuesday, December 18
Florida 5 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Skinner, Ristolainen
Goalie: Hutton (31 saves/35 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Florida 36 – Buffalo 32

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 139)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 35 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Nov. 29; injured reserve) – 9 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 6 games
Lawrence Pilut (lower body, Dec. 15; injured reserve) – 3 games
Nathan Beaulieu (lower body, Dec. 16) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/15: Recalled D Matt Hunwick from his conditioning loan in Rochester (AHL); Activated D Marco Scandella from IR
12/16: Recalled D Brendan Guhle from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Lawrence Pilut on IR
12/17: Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
12/19: Placed F Patrik Berglund on unconditional waivers with intent to terminate his contract

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Dec. 22: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 29: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 31: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at CAPITALS

This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 4-3 (SO) in Washington on Dec. 15
Next meeting: Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019 in Buffalo
The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 2-6-2 on the road.
This is the 160th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-50-21 series record.
The Sabres are 41-27-12 on the road against the Capitals all-time.

Phil Housley Media Availability: December 21, 2018 from 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm at Capital One Arena

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

NHL on NBCSN: Capitals, Sabres Look to Rebound Following Defeats

2dlrm2mE?format=jpg&name=600x314

NBCSN’s coverage of the 2018-19 NHL season continues with Friday night’s matchup between the Buffalo Sabres and the Washington Capitals with coverage beginning at 6 p.m. ET. You can watch the game online and on the NBC Sports app by clicking here.

The Sabres and Capitals meet for the second time in less than a week with both teams coming off home defeats. Washington had their five-game winning streak snapped by a 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins win on Wednesday night and look to head into the Christmas break on a winning note.

Both teams blew leads in their defeats this week with the Capitals watching a 1-0 lead get erased by two Penguins goals. The Sabres lead the Florida Panthers 2-1 after 40 minutes and fell 5-2. Buffalo had been 9-0-2 when leading after two periods this season.

“It just seems like we lost momentum. It’s frustrating,” said Sabres captain Jack Eichel. “We’re at home. We’ve got to find a way to have a better third period than that. … Maybe our puck management wasn’t there. I don’t think the desperation was there; they were definitely desperate. They played hard in their own end, but I don’t think we outworked them.”

The loss was the continuation of some struggles for the Sabres, who are now 3-4-3 since reeling off 10 straight wins earlier this season.

WASHINGTON
Forwards
8-Ovechkin, 19-Backstrom, 77-Oshie
13-Vrana, 92-Kuznetsov, 43-Wilson
65-Burakovsky, 20-Eller, 10-Connolly
18-Stephenson, 26-Dowd, 25-Smith-Pelly

Defensemen
6-Kempny, 74-Carlson
9-Orlov, 2-Niskanen
34-Siegenthaler, 22-Bowey

Goaltenders
70-Holtby
1-Copley

Injuries
29-Djoos (lower body)
44-Orpik (lower body)

Scratches
23-Jaskin
72-Boyd
78-Lewington

BUFFALO
Forwards
53-Skinner, 9-Eichel, 23-Reinhart
43-Sheary, 17-Sobotka, 71-Rodrigues
28-Girgensons 37-Mittelstadt, 21-Okposo
81-Elie, 22-Larsson, 72-Thompson

Defensemen
26-Dahlin, 4-Bogosian
24-Pilut, 55-Ristolainen
6-Scandella, 19-McCabe

Goaltenders
40-Hutton
35-Ullmark

Injuries
8-Nelson (upper body)
20-Wilson (ankle)
29-Pominville (upper body)
82-Beaulieu (lower body)

Scratches
45-Guhle
48-Hunwick

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Man, Sutton (I mean Hutton) needs to get his *** back to Tre White’s goalie academy after that terrible turnover. 

He can’t do that, especially for n such a hard fought (tie) game with 7 mins to go. 

2nd time that he's been burned for a goal recently by playing the puck behind the net.

• Like (+1) 1