[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

3 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, Paul must be drunk.  The Sabres have earned 39 points in their last 27 games.

Edit:  or now I understand what he was trying to say; over their past 27 games the Sabres have earned points in 22 of them (for a total of 39).

Don't blame Paul. I probably misunderstood what he was saying. He must of said that the Sabres earned points in 22 out of 25 games. I will put my head down and slow walk to corner in the room and wear the dunce cap. It will be appropriate to point one's finger at me and snicker. ? 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Don't blame Paul. I probably misunderstood what he was saying. He must of said that the Sabres earned points in 22 out of 25 games. I will put my head down and slow walk to corner in the room and wear the dunce cap. It will be appropriate to point one's finger at me and snicker. ? 

Ha.  It was 22 out of 27 in which they've earned points (17-5-5) for a total of 39 points over that span.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's gotta be more than 22 points, considering there are a potential 54 points.

Read my response to eball. I take full responsibility for my stupidity. I can't run away from it because I have earned it. Dumbness in plain sight. ?

• Like (+1) 1

Linus Ullmark was absent from the team's morning skate due to an illness, but he's still expected to serve as Hutton's backup tonight. 

Housley made a few changes to his forward lines in an effort to jumpstart the offense, most notably swapping centers Casey Mittelstadt and Vladimir Sobotka. 
"I just think we're trying to look for some chemistry and balance," Housley said. "Obviously Jack's line has been terrific for us, contributing offensively. We're just trying to give a different look, a fresh look, and see where it plays out. I think they're very well-balanced." 

Here's how the Sabres are expected to line up:

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
71 Evan Rodrigues - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 29 Jason Pominville
43 Conor Sheary - 17 Vladimir Sobotka - 21 Kyle Okposo
71 Evan Rodrigues - 22 Johan Larsson - 28 Zemgus Girgensons

6 Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
26 Rasmus Dahlin - 4 Zach Bogosian
45 Brendan Guhle - 48 Matt Hunwick 

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

12-18: Jason Botterill with Schopp & the Bulldog on WGR (16:54)

Listen now as #Sabres GM Jason Botterill joins Schopp & the Bulldog at @716FoodandSport! 

Botterill - I know how hard our players & coaches have worked. They should be proud of their accomplishments so far, and know there's more work to be done. #Sabres

Botterill - Within that five game losing streak we played two or three really good games. That's good for Mittelstadt & Dahlin to go through. #Sabres

Botterill - We feel some players down in Rochester will help us out in the second half of the year. #Sabres

Botterill on Berglund - All I can say is we've made a statement on it and nothing has changed. #Sabres

Botterill - Jack has played well defensively with hard matchups. He's gotten a lot better on his two way game. #Sabres

Botterill on Eichel - You come into the league at age 18, sometimes we're amazed how good they are. He's grown as a leader and a man. #Sabres

Botterill - We've tried to create three balanced pairings, trying to get some depth scoring. That's how we want to win. #Sabres

Botterill - Pilut will hopefully be back this weekend, same thing with McCabe. You want to see them get some practices before that happens. #Sabres

Botterill on Pilut - I think his play has been outstanding so far. After some injuries we had to throw him in the deep end versus some top players and he did a super job. #Sabres

Botterill on Pilut - His ability to cope with some disappointment and how hard he works in practice is part of why he got back up here. #Sabres

Botterill - Whether you're drafted or undrafted, it's all about development. The draft is just a snapshot. #Sabres

Botterill on something he wants to be better - You want to have more depth scoring up front. The game vs. Arizona, loved it. You see little things like Girgensons blocking that shot, he got an assist for that. #Sabres

Jason Botterill: "You Want to Have More Depth Scoring Up Front"

USATSI_11719443.jpg?itok=C9O-AsfZ&c=0364

The Sabres have strung a nice stretch together following their five game losing streak. It's been a bit since we talked with the General Manager. Before the Sabres played the Panthers on Tuesday night, Sabres GM Jason Botterill stopped by 716 Food & Sport to chat with Schopp & the Bulldog. Here's some of the best from Botterill's time with the guys!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 12/17/2018 at 3:46 PM, Jauronimo said:

What is also known is that he was suspended for failing to report.  This is a rarity.  Whether he's out drinking with his friends or sitting around watching reruns of Golden Girls the damage to his professional reputation is the same. 

I properly qualified and disclaimed my rumor as such.  You're quite touchy on this subject.

I saw the same rumor, probably from a different source, on twitter the day he got suspended. It's one of the few possibilities that make sense. I believe this one, in combination with he's pissed about playing time and role.

53 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I saw the same rumor, probably from a different source, on twitter the day he got suspended. It's one of the few possibilities that make sense. I believe this one, in combination with he's pissed about playing time and role.

IF true, the rumored behavior is 100% consistent with someone pissed off and acting out.

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

IF true, the rumored behavior is 100% consistent with someone pissed off and acting out.

Yup. How many here can say that they have never been pissed off at something about work and then gone off and partied for 48 hours straight with Swedes. I bet they were out looking to curbstomp a couple Fins.

Freaking Yandle scores( or at least a assists). I am not feeling good about this. He needs to be drilled, and hard. I don’t care if Sabres lose 4-2. I am watching in bar, so no sound. Am I missing something? 

BTW, above was posted at 2-1 Sabre’s. Now 4-2 panthers. Schoking

Edited by plenzmd1

Aggravating loss. Buffalo looked like the better team most game. They outplayed them the first 2 periods for sure. Buffalo just couldn’t capitalize on any of their scoring chances. They always struggle against Luongo... 

Florida, for whatever reason, just seems to be Buffalo’s kryptonite. 

The game really seemed to turn after that penalty shot. It just seemed to really deflate Buffalo. Rob Ray even said guys were hanging their heads on the bench after that. 

I didnt fully agree that Florida should have been awarded a penalty shot. 

I felt that the Florida player still got a scoring chance and a penalty shot is supposed to be called to restore a scoring chance. So I kind of felt that it should have just been a 2 minute penalty. 

Oh well. Onto the next one. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have no idea what Berglund is worth but Hopefully they don’t have to take back a contract of equal length... 

Personally, Id love it if they could send him to Pittsburgh for Brassard. 

Brassard just hasn’t fit in with the Pens, for whatever reason. 

It it would give a Pittsburgh their 3rd line center and it would give buffalo a 2nd line center for this season (then Brassard is a UFA). Maybe they could bring him back on a reasonable deal, but if not at least it would fill the 2C gap for this season and hopefully add some secondary scoring. 

I doubt Pittsburgh is willing to take on 4 years of Berglund though. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can’t wait until he retires! lol

He’s 39 and plauged with injuries. It can’t be That far off... 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (20-10-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 36 (NBCSN) vs. WSH (20-9-3) at 7 PM ET on 12/21; Patrik Berglund Suspended for Failure to Report to the Team

FINAL: Panthers 5 - Sabres 2

cut.jpg

Florida scores four unanswered goals in the third period to top Buffalo.

Post-Game Report: 12/18 vs. Florida

Final Score

1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Panthers
(13-13-6)
0 1 4 5 36
Sabres
(20-10-5)
1 1 0 2 32

Top Notes
  • With two points (1+1) tonight, Jeff Skinner has extended his point streak to seven games (5+4). In his last seven games against the Panthers, Skinner has eight points (6+2).
  • Skinner’s goal was his 25th of the campaign in the team’s 35th game of the season. According to the NHL, Alexander Mogilny (34th team game in 1992-93) is the only player in Sabres history to score 25 before the team’s 35th game of the season.
    • Before Skinner tonight, three other Sabres had scored their 25th goal in the team’s 35th game of the season: Rick Martin (1973-74), Gilbert Perreault (1977-78) and Thomas Vanek (2008-09).
  • Sam Reinhart’s assists tonight extended his point streak to 11 games (5+13). It’s the second-longest active streak in the NHL this season and the Sabres’ longest since Jack Eichel’s 11-game streak from Feb. 14 to March 7, 2017.
  • Jack Eichel’s assist extended his point streak to seven games (9+5).
  • Rasmus Ristolainen’s goal gave him 11 points (2+9) in his last 11 home games.
  • Alexander Barkov’s power-play goal ended the Sabres’ penalty killing streak at 20 consecutive kills. It was the team’s best such streak since they killed 23 in a row from Jan. 10 to 25, 2016.
Tonight’s Goaltenders
Tonight’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Panthers Luongo W .938 2.01
Sabres Hutton L .886 4.06
Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Panthers Luongo 7-5-1 .906 2.95
Sabres Hutton 13-9-2 .917 2.61

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jeff Skinner
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen
Panthers head coach Bob Boughner
Panthers forward Evgenii Dadonov
Panthers forward Frank Vatrano
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Plain and simple. Risto needs to do his job and run Yandle. Take a 5 if ya have too, needs to be done

That play was a rat being a rat.  Skinner has always been a guy who draws penalties and he did exactly what he has always done.  There's no need for retaliation when a guy weakly hugs your goal scorers head for a few seconds.  If that's what we call running someone today, the game really has become soft.  But then again, there's no need to run someone for tripping your star player either, but that's how Florida responded for some unknown reason.

The whole thing really was insignificant in this game.  This was a game where a team quit after a fluky penalty shot goal a period after the so called hit.  They folded the same way the did against Philly.  Hopefully we don't run into too many more games against last place teams.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ran Skinner 

Yandle sent a message to the irritating Skinner who was involved with a teammate who got hurt. The Florida player wasn't dirty or out to hurt the rat like player. He simply picked him up and threw him to the ground. The bigger player didn't throw any punches and beat on the smaller and weaker player. I'm against fighting in hockey. But in this case it was done with honor and class. The message was sent and the game moved on.

As someone else keenly noted after the two fluke goals that Hutton let in the Sabres seemed deflated and the Panthers were energized. And the outcome reflected that. 

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

That play was a rat being a rat.  Skinner has always been a guy who draws penalties and he did exactly what he has always done.  There's no need for retaliation when a guy weakly hugs your goal scorers head for a few seconds.  If that's what we call running someone today, the game really has become soft.  But then again, there's no need to run someone for tripping your star player either, but that's how Florida responded for some unknown reason.

The whole thing really was insignificant in this game.  This was a game where a team quit after a fluky penalty shot goal a period after the so called hit.  They folded the same way the did against Philly.  Hopefully we don't run into too many more games against last place teams.

i dunno bout all that. now, I was in a bar with a bunch of non-Sabre fans, and not watching 100% closely..but what I say was a dude dropping his gloves ready to go and roughing up the leading goal scorer...the Great Onenever put up with that I can guarantee you that!!!!?

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i dunno bout all that. now, I was in a bar with a bunch of non-Sabre fans, and not watching 100% closely..but what I say was a dude dropping his gloves ready to go and roughing up the leading goal scorer...the Great Onenever put up with that I can guarantee you that!!!!?

The great one wasn't a guy out there trying to draw penalties.  Throw a little extra into a check on Yandle at some point, fine, but I'm not hunting him down and taking his head off based on what may as well have been a pillow fight.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The great one wasn't a guy out there trying to draw penalties.  Throw a little extra into a check on Yandle at some point, fine, but I'm not hunting him down and taking his head off based on what may as well have been a pillow fight.

You wait and see when Skinner signs in Vancouver and he says it is all cause guys stand up for another out there... then you’ll be sorry! ?

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (20-10-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 36 (NBCSN) vs. WSH (20-9-3) at 7 PM ET on 12/21; Patrik Berglund Placed on Unconditional Waivers with Intent to Terminate Contract