NYC politician wants Bills+Giants to adopt Jets Anthem policy

https://247sports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/Article/NYC-politician-wants-New-York-Giants-Buffalo-Bills-to-adopt-Jets-anthem-policy-118678936/Amp

First. The Bills are the Only team in New York.

Second, who the heck does this guy think he is that he can weasel his thoughts and ideas upon the Giants and Bills

Let their owners do what they want, don’t try to play some moral high ground

you listen to the owners and their rules at work. Freedom of speech, Press, assembly Doesn’t apply lol

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t even know where PPP is on the board. I’d move it if I knew how but it is Bills related 

No worries, B'lo, got yer back.  It's both Bills and football related, as long as that's the focus it's fine here.

If folks go nuts making it generally political, I'll move it for ya or lock it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No worries, B'lo, got yer back.  It's both Bills and football related, as long as that's the focus it's fine here.

If folks go nuts making it generally political, I'll move it for ya or lock it.

I don’t wanna get political. Just saw the article and how he emailed the Pegulas

thought it was relevant 

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Let the owners do what they want...but not the players?

Pretty sure the players are free to protest all they want so long as they're not at work while they do it.  So it works like it would with any other employer.

Of course, the players are always free to seek other employment if the social policies of their employer are that important to them.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I on’t wanna get political. Just saw the article and how he emailed the Pegulas

thought it was relevant 

It is IMO. 

The owners were all like, unanimous vote, uniform anthem policy, *whew* that's settled.

Then the Jets: "oh well, if our players go their own way and kneel or what have you, the fines are on us".  So much for unanimous.

Now with politicians mixing in, it's clear the NFL owners would have been better off going with "least said, soonest mended"

Nothing is settled at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The issue isn't just about what the players can say at work, it is what the employer can compel them to say when at work.

I think there are limits to an employer's ability to compel speech by their employees when it is unrelated to work. Thus, Burger King can mandate that their employees say "have a nice day" after taking a customer's order. They cannot constitutionally compel them to say "God Bless America" or "God Save the Trump" whenever greeting a customer anymore than they can compel them to give a Nazi salute every time someone orders a whopper with no pickles or says the word "Obama". Mandating certain conduct during the national anthem, it could be argued, is compelling speech. And what it has to do with the job of winning football games I do not know.

I believe that this whole compromise of letting players stay in the locker room is likely a strategy to avoid the constitutional problem of compelling speech. At the same time, I don't think the NFL has solved its problem. People will just get all bent out of shape about players hiding in the locker room. Eventually,  the President will tweet that the owners should "fire every SOB who disrespects our country and our soldiers by staying in the locker room." What then?

• Like (+1) 9

Great!!! The Bills should support their players (i.e.support your employees!!!)! I would love it if the Bills followed what the Jets were doing. America=FREEDOM, not nationalism.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Great!!! The Bills should support their players (i.e.support your employees!!!)! I would love it if the Bills followed what the Jets were doing. America=FREEDOM, not nationalism.

And the owners are FREE to do what they want with regard to this issue

• Like (+1) 3

If the players don't like the owners rules, go find another job. Maybe they could go work for Kap-er-nick who is more than likely still laughing over the whole thing.  Guess the players don't know about killing the golden goose. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Their feet hurt?

No that's not it ?

I would prefer if their issue was what was debated and not the politicized kneel no kneel thing. Players as citizens should have the right to protest. This country and it's Freedoms that have been fought for and won allow us people the right to peaceful protest.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

No that's not it ?

I would prefer if their issue was what was debated and not the politicized kneel no kneel thing. Players as citizens should have the right to protest. This country and it's Freedoms that have been fought for and won allow us people the right to peaceful protest.

Yes, the right to protest when NOT on the company dollar

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Our owners will do the right thing and SUPPORT THEIR PLAYERS... like the Jets did.

I don’t care what he does but I believe Pegula voted for the new league rule

• Like (+1) 1