An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

6 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Well I respect your opinion.  I served 23 years in the military to defend your right to state your opinion freely and openly.  I also respect the players' right to protest if they so choose. Here's where I have an issue.  Because you have the right to do something doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.  Actions have consequences.  All the best.

Thanks for your service.  I don't think the national anthem should be played before sporting events, period.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What consequences come from kneeling for the anthem?

Fans tune out and don't buy tickets.  If the trend continues, then there is no more NFL.  Those are the consequences.

Just now, xsoldier54 said:

Fans tune out and don't buy tickets.  If the trend continues, then there is no more NFL.  Those are the consequences.

They will never lose enough fans to discontinue the league. That's ridiculous. 

Just now, eball said:

Thanks for your service.  I don't think the national anthem should be played before sporting events, period.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion.  That is your right and I respect that.  These days a lot of people won't even listen to someone who disagrees with their opinion.  I think that is very ignorant and immature.  I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling that way.  All the best. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

They will never lose enough fans to discontinue the league. That's ridiculous. 

Lol well it is enough of a trend that league owners are concerned.  Otherwise they would have done nothing.

5 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

How is this "living in a bubble".  I am relating my own personal experience and saying that this occured not only within my circle of friends, but all across the country

You used 10 people you know as a "microcosm" of what's going on across the country. This in spite of the fact that NFL ratings are actually better than ever if you factor in ratings decline across all media. The freaking draft just had its highest ratings ever, but you live in a bubble where that isn't true.

I'd like to know how many of the "millions" of fans who gave up the NFL over this issue stand up in front of their televisions at home and salute the anthem before they watch a sporting event.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous.  The players who kneel are ridiculous, the people who complain about the kneeling are ridiculous, and the notion of thinking the anthem should be played before sporting events is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Nothing but good PR. It's a joke. Idiot NFL players on their knees means nothing.

These half brain knuckle dragging cro mags aren't going to fund police training or work with inner city at risk youth to teach them to obey and be compliant with law officials and authority. That's not how it works.

Sadly this will be nothing more the a level of nepotism inside of the NFL and the despot that will be the CEO of this fraudulent schtick.

Dude, you know that the whole point of the protest is because the point of their argument was that black people incur violence from police disproportionately. You can dispute whether or not this is the case.

But come on, how is giving the police more money going to have them kill fewer black people? Why should the onus be on teenagers to not scare the cops by existing to the extent that they don't get riddled with bullets?

You can agree or disagree with their premise, but you are being stupid about what you seem to think the problem is.

Just now, eball said:

I'd like to know how many of the "millions" of fans who gave up the NFL over this issue stand up in front of their televisions at home and salute the anthem before they watch a sporting event.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous.  The players who kneel are ridiculous, the people who complain about the kneeling are ridiculous, and the notion of thinking the anthem should be played before sporting events is ridiculous.

Honestly, the only reason I disagree, is because the anthem is the best time to get your food before the game starts. ?

2 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

1 minute ago, eball said:

How about the fans in the stands who turn around and talk with others and drink during the anthem?

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly, the only reason I disagree, is because the anthem is the best time to get your food before the game starts. ?

But Jesus Christ, Joe, that's disrespecting the anthem!

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They'll likely be standing in the tunnel or somewhere out of sight. They'll be back on the sidelines before the post anthem commercial break.

Probably but the rule states they can stay in the locker room...