77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

Still very inconsistent and inaccurate on those short passes. The kid needs a lot of work.

I hope they don't throw him to the wolves with only that shoddy o-line to protect him.

I think they're going to be level-headed about it and keep him on the sidelines most of the year, if not the full year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2018 at 6:31 AM, cd1 said:

I believe that who wins the QB job depends on more than who is the best man for the job.

Who sends up their best pilot to test out a new plane? No one. History tells us to use always use a "Test Pilot".

I believe McD is a fairly bright guy and that last years debacle with Peterman will have taught him a thing or two.

Someone needs to "test fly" our new O Line and our new OC.

I believe that the Bills will start the season with a "Test Pilot".

How soon Allen starts will depend as much on the performance of the OL and OC as it will on JAs performance.

The test pilot is usually one of the best pilots with the broadest experience.   In otherwords, the answer to your rhetorical question "who sends their best pilot to test out a new plane?" is actually "everyone (except the home-builders)"

What you mean to say is "who sends up their inexperienced young gun to test out a new plane"? and the answer to that is "no one"

Ending of Minicamp McDermott said as we start Training Camp Allen would be running mostly with the 3s.

Well, day 3 and...

On a side note, was there a practice yesterday that was closed to the media and public or something? Or did I just completely miss day 2?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I think AJ starts week 1. Allen is a project who needs to not be put out behind a bad O-line and some suspect skill-position corps. Peterman stinks in my opinion and AJ is by far the most consistent but nothing spectacular. AJ will take on that game manager role and won't look spectacular but he will look the most like a pro-QB. I predict Allen will look spectacular at times but also have some bad plays, Peterman will just look bad and AJ will just look the most consistent. Out of those 3 expect the conservative head coach to pick AJ.  

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

... On a side note, was there a practice yesterday that was closed to the media and public or something? Or did I just completely miss day 2?

no, they cancelled practice yesterday, they didn't want you to miss anything. 

;)

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

no, they cancelled practice yesterday, they didn't want you to miss anything. 

;)

You're such a sweetheart  :wub:

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 3

1) The Josh Allen Experience
- Fans in attendance on Saturday saw to the sincerest form of Josh Allen -- at least the one that he portrayed during his college days. Early on during individual drills, he misfired a few rockets to his receivers that made them work a bit harder than they needed to. However, once it got to team drills, Allen started to shine. His first throw was an on-point slant route in tight coverage that the defensive back barely got a hand on to break it up. Then he read the next play correctly -- a pick play that freed up wideout Kaelin Clay on a wheel route -- and Allen put the perfect touch on the throw to hit Clay in stride, and he quickly ran into the end zone for a touchdown. The very next play, he made a fantastic anticipatory throw to Cam Phillips on a comeback route to the left sideline that was there as soon as the wideout turned. Allen was feeling himself, which is what led to the next part of the Josh Allen Experience. The next play, Allen spotted his target in the end zone on an out route, stared him down -- to which cornerback Ryan Carter baited him and quickly jumped in front for the interception. That play was entirely on Allen. However, his next round of reps was with the first-team and went well. His lone missed attempt went for an interception on paper, but it was on a throw that you'd want your quarterback to try in that situation. Allen threw a jump ball to the 6-foot-5 Kelvin Benjamin, to which most times the receiver will come down with the ball. It was tight coverage and went off his hands not once, but twice, and hung up in the air -- to which Jordan Poyer came over and caught the pass right before it hit the ground. That throw is one that was not made enough over the last three years, so I'm not going to fault him for it. All in all, his day ended 5-of-8 with one touchdown and two interceptions, with only one being his fault. He had the best practice of the group on Saturday and has been the best quarterback at camp thus far.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen has been compared a lot to Ben Roethlisberger, since they are both big, mobile QB's. Roethlisberger was drafted 11th overall, whereas Allen was drafted higher, at 7th. Roethlisberger also came from an inferior college compared to Allen (Miami of Ohio vs. Wyoming, respectively). This arguably makes Allen the better QB prospect.

In 2004 in his rookie season, Roethlisberger started Week 3 for the injured Tommie Maddox, and won 13 consecutive games, to lead Pittsburgh to a 15-1 season (he didn't play in Week 17 at the Buffalo Bills since they had already clinched homefield in the AFC). He also won the divisional game, making it 14 straight wins for him, and then finally lost the AFC Championship game to New England. The year before, Pittsburgh finished 6-10. It was clear that Roethlisberger was the reason they became so good. They even beat 14-2 New England that year and 13-3 Philadelphia in the regular season. Let us take a lesson from Pittsburgh: Josh Allen needs to be starting sooner than later.

(BTW, as an aside, as mentioned above, Pittsburgh beat Buffalo in a close game in Week 17, 29-24. The Bills finished 9-7 and were ranked by ESPN (was it 538?) a few years ago as the greatest NFL team ever not to make the playoffs. They used advanced statistical methods to come to this conclusion. That's how good of a team were were back then.

Also, I was going bonkers in 2004 since the Bills didn't move up to draft Roethlisberger. I wanted him above Eli and Phillip. We were drafting 13th and couldn't manage to maneuver ahead of Pittsburgh at 11. Instead we moved up to draft JP Losman later in the 1st round. This has haunted the Bills ever since.)

Edited by greenyellowred

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

4 days into camp and OTA hero Nathan Peterman seems to have disappeared from view. 

I wouldnt say disappeared but I would say he is the clear #3 now. As much as i would love to see Allen day one, I voted AJ. I just think they will let him go out with the understanding that he is auditioningfor his next team and that Allen is the clear franchise QB when they decide to play him.

On 7/28/2018 at 2:17 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

You're such a sweetheart  :wub: ...

no problemo. in fact, i knew you would be out of it today as well so i had them cancel today's practice too.

cheers

:beer:

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I wouldnt say disappeared but I would say he is the clear #3 now. As much as i would love to see Allen day one, I voted AJ. I just think they will let him go out with the understanding that he is auditioningfor his next team and that Allen is the clear franchise QB when they decide to play him.

Unless we go 19-0 with AJ under center.