Maine is awesome!

You are there before Memorial Day. Smart move. Like many other vacation destinations, it is MUCH more crowded between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  It’s great in September as well, possibly even better since the plant life is still going strong, but the crowds have thinned out. Inland it’s a lot like the Adirondacks, but the Maine coast is fantastic.

3 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Was thinking about going out there with the wife and little guy. Not sure if we’ll make it this year, but it’s definiely on the radar. 

Old Orchard Beach very nice, and a quick drive to Portland 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

So started my vacation yesterday in Maine and I gotta say I don’t know why I never came here before. Scenery is amazing, the small towns beautiful. Looks like I’ve got a new spot!

On your way out be sure to stop in Portsmouth, NH. Old historic seaport. Great downtown with tons of brew pubs and restaurants.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On your way out be sure to stop in Portsmouth, NH. Old historic seaport. Great downtown with tons of brew pubs and restaurants.

I considered that but chose Maine. Perhaps another summer 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Going to Wells beach again this summer.  Nice place.  

Ogunquit is nice. If you are in York Beach, near the Nubble Light House, stop at Kettle Boys Popcorn. Good stuff, owned by friends of mine. Also visit The Goldenrod and watch the antique mechanical taffy puller in the window. Good candy and ice cream there. All this is about an hour from me.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

In the mid-1990s, when I lived in Rochester and my then-girlfriend, now-wife was in Montreal, we went to Maine for the summer vacation. It was great. We canoed a lot, and especially Katahdin and Acadia were impressive. The next year we went to Newfoundland, and that was even better. We saw icebergs floating southward and more whales than in Maine (sometimes you could spot them from the shore). One of the highlights was the "bird rock" in Cape St. Mary's, with hundreds of gannets, razorbills, murres, and kittiwakes.  

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It's not my favorite thing to eat but I suppose you gotta try Lobster at least once while you're up there. 

We went to Bar Harbor 10-15 years ago. Even some  things on the menu that didn’t mention lobster came out with lobster on them. We took a tour bus one morning and the driver said his family had been in the lobster business for generations. Whatever the main predator of the lobster is, it had been severely over-fished. They had so much lobster they didn’t know what to do with it! It was like the fake scarcity of diamonds trying to keep prices up. 

To that point in time it was the most expensive hotel we had ever stayed in (that the employer had not paid for). We happened to get there the same weekend some charity motorcycle thing was happening. These guys toured the area and stayed at nice places. Over a hundred Harleys out there revving engines and showing off there stuff at 7:30am was not to my delight. Great guys at the bar, all paid like ten grand, most of which went to pediatric cancer research. Hard to hate THAT! But still....

BTW - the tour bus driver had to talk a good game, because the fog was so thick you couldn’t see the side of the road. “If you could see anything out the left side....”   Still a great trip all things considered. 

When we visit places... We always have to do something "literary."  Last Maine trip was South Berwick, ME.  That  was the home to Sarah Orne Jewett. I oblige the Mrs.  What keeps her happy, keeps us all happy.

My wife is a librarian and has a "librarian bucket list" and it's not kinky!  I am in hell sometimes on these family vacations.

She was sort of hot?  In a 19th Century kinda way.  What da ya think?  Even if she was into the whole "Boston Marriage" thing. <_<

220px-Portrait_photograph_of_Sarah_Jewet

:lol: Somebody save me, I am a wrecked horse! :lol:

But besides that, Maine is alright, NE in general is meh... Scenery great, people douchebags.  Last couple trips, I don't even go to visit family.