Anyone else having a rough week of work?

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Company I worked for decided to eliminate my position due to "corporate transformation" two weeks ago.  Good thing CBUS has a good economic base.

Good luck with the transition! Happy you’re in such a healthy business environment. 

An owner should know better than to screw around with a top producing salesman.Is what they're doing standard for the industry? Does it violate your employment agreement? Isn't the owner already making profit off your production? Taking 12K out of someones pocket is going to have some side effect on how much people put into their work and to this firm.

I couldn't sustain such a pay cut. Not knowing your industry I'd get legal advice

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

An owner should know better than to screw around with a top producing salesman.Is what they're doing standard for the industry? Does it violate your employment agreement? Isn't the owner already making profit off your production? Taking 12K out of someones pocket is going to have some side effect on how much people put into their work and to this firm.

I couldn't sustain such a pay cut. Not knowing your industry I'd get legal advice

The thing that really rubs me the wrong way on it is that the agency makes just over  $100k a year off of this account. That was a part of my issue. If you want him to work it and to be compensated for his work take it out of your cut, not mine.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:36 PM, Jauronimo said:

Are the other partners reasonable?  Are you tight with any of them?

If you're valuable to the company, I think the other partners may intervene on your behalf if this pettiness runs the risk of a top performer leaving the firm if it continues unchecked.  They're copied on the emails so you're not ratting him out.

I would say that they are pretty reasonable depending on the topic. I’m close with all of them but not close enough that they will take my side against him. He is like the sun at that place. Everything revolves around him. 

With that hat being said I am working an account with our president who is basically the only other guy on his level. He is also the most reasonable of all. When I am with him next week I am going to try to have a heart to heart on it. He’s a really, really strong leader but is so busy that he kind of removes himself from the day-to-day. They’ve pretty much delegated the agency management to the CFO (another of the 5 partners). He is the a terrible leader and a bit of a snake. We get along really well put I don’t trust him. He’s the one that you always need to be careful with.

Oy. I hope you are not dealing with a narcissist.

Narcissist's deal very poorly with criticism and it is very difficult to get things back to normal, often impossible.

A narcissist rage (their response to criticism) can be like a double barrel shotgun to the face. Pretty severe.

I know narcissist issues well because I once had to deal with a doozy.

I'd Google narcissist and see if that's what you're dealing with. They aren't normal people. Good luck.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Do you pay any claims out when the garbage men have boo boos with their trucks?

And does their premium go up.

Wow... No offense, but what a racket.

Auto insurance is pretty high at the moment. They pay between $1.4M and $1.5M on about 110 extra heavy trucks. The losses 2 years ago were like $1.24M (which is a bad year) and last year they were $350k (a great year but with some stuff outstanding). I’d say an average year for them in terms of losses is  probably about $600k.

1 hour ago, boater said:

Oy. I hope you are not dealing with a narcissist.

Narcissist's deal very poorly with criticism and it is very difficult to get things back to normal, often impossible.

A narcissist rage (their response to criticism) can be like a double barrel shotgun to the face. Pretty severe.

I know narcissist issues well because I once had to deal with a doozy.

I'd Google narcissist and see if that's what you're dealing with. They aren't normal people. Good luck.

This is what I’m dealing with

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2018 at 4:29 PM, Gugny said:

Funny/not very funny story .... I just found out that I need to travel for work in a couple weeks .... and this clown is going, too.

I heard there are budget cuts and you will be sharing a room. Enjoy your opportunity to bond. :)

Just now, Augie said:

I heard there are budget cuts and you will be sharing a room. Enjoy your opportunity to bond. :)

Ha!  I went through one of those regional leadership programs put on by the local chamber of commerce, years ago.  It started off with an overnight retreat in which everyone had to room with a complete stranger.  The guy I roomed with turned out to be super cool.  We actually have the same birthday and his wife was actually one of my direct reports at the time.  Small world.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Auto insurance is pretty high at the moment. They pay between $1.4M and $1.5M on about 110 extra heavy tricks. The losses 2 years ago were like $1.24M (which is a bad year) and last year they were $350k (a great year but with some stuff outstanding). I’d say an average year for them in terms of losses is  probably about $600k.

I have a policy suggestion for you. In the blizzard of ‘77 my buddy had his Volvo parked in front of his house near UB one night. He woke up in the middle of the night to BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!  A snow plow was going down the road crushing each car buried in the drifts. 

He called the city who gladly offered to pay for his Volvo.....if he could provide the vehicle number and a description of the driver. In other words @%$& you! That could $ave a lot!

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ha!  I went through one of those regional leadership programs put on by the local chamber of commerce, years ago.  It started off with an overnight retreat in which everyone had to room with a complete stranger.  The guy I roomed with turned out to be super cool.  We actually have the same birthday and his wife was actually one of my direct reports at the time.  Small world.

You got lucky! You could have had ME for a roomie! About 8 years ago I had an (unnecessary) operation. (Thanks, Doc!) The first few nights in the hospital I was in a private room. The last night I was put in a double and woke up to the other guy yelling at the nurse “that guy snores so loud no one should ever be forced to sleep in the same room!!!” 

In my defense, the dilaudid may have “relaxed” me. But before I got on a CPAP machine, my wife once went to the front desk at a Ritz Carlton at 3:00am to get another room for just a little bit of sleep before facing the next day. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

You got lucky! You could have had ME for a roomie! About 8 years ago I had an (unnecessary) operation. (Thanks, Doc!) The first few nights in the hospital I was in a private room. The last night I was put in a double and woke up to the other guy yelling at the nurse “that guy snores so loud no one should ever be forced to sleep in the same room!!!” 

In my defense, the dilaudid may have “relaxed” me. But before I got on a CPAP machine, my wife once went to the front desk at a Ritz Carlton at 3:00am to get another room for just a little bit of sleep before facing the next day. 

I am a snorer.  This guy warned me that he snored very loud.  He put me to shame.  I've never heard anything like it.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am a snorer.  This guy warned me that he snored very loud.  He put me to shame.  I've never heard anything like it.

I can’t travel with my wife unless I bring my CPAP machine or we have a house or condo with a separate room. When she travels and I’m home alone (yes, I’m just like the movie!), I rarely wear it, but it’s a life changer. 

• Like (+1) 1

In all seriousness th4e partner thing sounds like very hard to overcome because of the power he holds

If I was in your situation I would buy him a beer and sit down and talk and play to his ego.

I know this seems like caving....but it really is not it is more about survival.  Work something out so you dont have a hostile work environment or at least try to.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Auto insurance is pretty high at the moment. They pay between $1.4M and $1.5M on about 110 extra heavy trucks. The losses 2 years ago were like $1.24M (which is a bad year) and last year they were $350k (a great year but with some stuff outstanding). I’d say an average year for them in terms of losses is  probably about $600k.

This is what I’m dealing with

Thanx ..

I wouldn't think it was that high, but then again... The way workers are (at least at from what I see at work), they are always tearing something up moving or stationary.  Doesn't help w/multiple drivers on tractors, plows, mowers and machinery... And this is a closed environment... I can just imagine what happens when they meet the general population out on roads, at their homes. At times probably all kinds of cases, complaints, accidents,  etc... Just driving a work truck w/Federal GSA plates attracts all kinds of "money grabbers."  Stuff like: "You kicked up a stone & broke my windshield!"  Oh, really... Here is my bosses #. Take it up w/them.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The thing that really rubs me the wrong way on it is that the agency makes just over  $100k a year off of this account. That was a part of my issue. If you want him to work it and to be compensated for his work take it out of your cut, not mine.

I would say that they are pretty reasonable depending on the topic. I’m close with all of them but not close enough that they will take my side against him. He is like the sun at that place. Everything revolves around him. 

With that hat being said I am working an account with our president who is basically the only other guy on his level. He is also the most reasonable of all. When I am with him next week I am going to try to have a heart to heart on it. He’s a really, really strong leader but is so busy that he kind of removes himself from the day-to-day. They’ve pretty much delegated the agency management to the CFO (another of the 5 partners). He is the a terrible leader and a bit of a snake. We get along really well put I don’t trust him. He’s the one that you always need to be careful with.

Kirby, Be careful. Don't trust any one of your bosses. If you confide in one of your trustworthy bosses and he brings up the issue with the scoundrel you are still putting yourself in a precarious position. The scoundrel might not immediately back stab you but he will be more determined to do so whether you win or lose on the particular issue. 

The issue isn't whether you are right or wrong. Clearly, you are right and you were taken advantage of. But just because you are right it doesn't mean that you can't be damaged more than what the value of loss is. When you swim in a body of water that has a lot of sharks you have to be careful about how much you kick because it will draw more attention from the sharks. Just ask yourself if it came down to favoring a partner or grunt who will the other partners be more inclined to support, regardless who is right or wrong? In the long run being strategic is better than being tactical. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Hey, don't blame me.