Anyone else having a rough week of work?

No.  I have been off of work since last Wednesday and don't have to be back till tomorrow @ 6pm.

My schedule is so, sometimes I don't see a boss/supervisor for a month or so.

Remember: Like you said, "work to live, not live to work." Also, work smart, not hard.

Good luck! Hope it all works out for you, slay the world!

I've been in this situation before both but in both cases I knew they were shifty people.  One government lead getting bonuses on side and denying it affected his decisions but it was. Other was government COTR who was swearing at me (not just swearing) and I told him in uncertain terms that was unwelcome and not allowed.  In both cases management forced me to knuckle under but in both cases I had evidence of wrongdoing (the COTR was funnelling money to brother in law) and I made sure those who needed to know knew about it and both had rights taken away from them.

In your case since the partners know about it not much you can do but be professionally polite to him but keep an eye out for material his partners would not appreciate for he likely has some side deals going on cutting some of their shares.

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You and I are in accord on our takes on this issue. 

I'll go beyond your take on how to treat people at the workplace. It's not about the work place setting-----it's about life. If you treat people with kindness and generosity, like you would want to be treated and how you would like one of your family members to be treated, you will get exponential returns from your behavior. 

The person Kirby is describing is about money and status. When you go out of your way to stab a coworker, either directly or indirectly, it will come back to you. The way Kirby is being treated is being observed by others. By those above and below his rank. 

My advice to Kirby is to make  whatever reasonable accommodation that needs to be made to settle the situation down. And then go out and be happy and love. That's how you beat the bastards. Miserable people are miserable. The less you engage with that toxic personality the better off you will be. Life is about handling and adjusting to unappealing people and situations. 

I get it, but sadly it sounds like, at least in his mind, there IS nobody above his rank.  It’s not about money, from the sounds of it. It’s ego and status. If he’s making $2 mil/year, this isn’t about money. He’ll eat tonight.  Now, can you win him over by appealing to his ego? Impossible to say where we sit, and difficult if you’re in the room with the guy.

Hate to say it Kirby, but he may never recover from being overruled after your appeal. He hated getting dissed even if he was wrong. It depends on how much of a d!ck he is. You say you generally get along, so develop that. Work on winning him back. 

But it needs to be addressed in a conciliatory way to put out the flames of vengeance. 

Edited by Augie

Be more with less...

https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman/

"This is the story that started the “be more with less” movement for me. While I knew all work and no play wasn’t the way, I thought I would forever be stuck in the cycle of working to live. I thought I would always have a car payment, credit card debt and not enough month at the end of the money. I thought I had to work harder to make more, buy more and have more. At one time, I really thought that would make me better somehow.

This story is my inspiration to slow down, reassess, and get real about how I want to live life.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”"

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You only have one option.  

He sleeps with the fishes.   

I think @DC Tom will want a pic. 

Hope the jerk ups and retires? 

• Haha (+1) 2

I had a sales rep - one of my least favorite people on earth - forward an email from an angry client.

This sales guy's style is to copy as many executive management personnel as possible, so my boss was on the email.

The client was upset over a $7 difference on the invoice.  SEVEN DOLLARS.  They're a multi-million dollar/year establishment (I won't divulge the type business because it's niche and I don't want you !@#$ers figuring out where I work).  But it was seven bucks.

Next thing I know, I've got my boss emailing me, texting me, calling me, leaving me voicemails.

My supervisor spent a solid half hour figuring out what the difference was (it was not our fault).  

This sales guy is the typical yuppie with the shaved sides of his head and the big, gelled comb-over.  He doesn't work in the same state I do, so I've never met him in person.  If/when I do, I'll have to do all I can to not punch him in the !@#$ing throat.

So yes, Kirbs ... it's one of those weeks.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dang.  You guys sound like you have high falutin jobs.  I rose to the level of front line manager about 20 years ago, and for the past ten years I’ve been able to be the old guy who just does what he wants. I haven’t made as much as I could have, but I haven’t worried about work for several years. And I enjoy the company of everyone at work who I choose to associate with. 

16 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Dang.  You guys sound like you have high falutin jobs.  I rose to the level of front line manager about 20 years ago, and for the past ten years I’ve been able to be the old guy who just does what he wants. I haven’t made as much as I could have, but I haven’t worried about work for several years. And I enjoy the company of everyone at work who I choose to associate with. 

:lol:

I am in same "boat."  Preaching to choir.

All I do is let a few drunks, fish, and millions of tons of bulk commodities pass through a lock & dam.

Only one other guy to deal with one shift, but I am shift-lead for the last 15 years... Shiftheads do jack... No way would I go in that office behind a desk. I now work 36 (3 12s) hours a week get paid for 40 and still keep 5 weeks vacation and over a year sick leave (and growing) on books.  Once a month I get 8 days off in row... Normal days off.  I haven't been in @ work since two Tuesdays ago.  I don't even think I remember my passwords.

I am actually the "old" guy now too... Senior lead @ 50.  Been doing it since I was 23.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So, I am in commercial insurance and write some heavy transportation accounts. I write a waste hauler that I split with a former co-worker who recently went to another agency. This account pays our agency $142,000 in revenue (about $1.4M in premium). The agent gets 33% of that annually. 

When my co-worker left the principals at the agency re-assigned his accounts and appointed one owner to each of them as well. They wanted me to relinquish 25% of the revenue to one of the partners for him working on it with me. It amounts to about $12k a year in actual money to me. So about a month goes by and I’m pretty pissed off because I absolutely do not need any assistance to keep this account. The owner would adopt me. I didn’t think that I should pay the owner $12k as I’m already paying the agency almost $100k a year for that account. I went to the partners and said my piece. I’m not sure that they totally agreed but they deferred to me. I was pretty adamant on it. It is my relationship that has brought the account in and kept it here. It would have been me just making a donation to him.

Now, he is making my life a living hell. The guy makes like $2m+ a year and he’s throwing a passive aggressive hissy fit. He’s ripping apart my work and CCing the other partners on it. I’m getting emails in bold, underlines with exclamation points of things that i should have done differently. Half of what he is saying isn’t even accurate. He’s basically spent the last 24 hours auditing the account and I know that his endgame is to get his partners to give him back 25% of the revenue. He’s really good at what he does but he is making my life miserable. If I would have kept my mouth shut I wouldn’t have to be playing this defense but at the same time it would have been $1k a month out of my pocket. I’m usually a pretty level-headed guy but I’m on the verge of snapping. He’s made my life miserable, my assitant’s life miserable, the marketing rep is taking as much heat as me!! I’ve had my office door shut for 2 days. Anyone have any advice???

If you need him erased just say the words Kirby. :P

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I had a sales rep - one of my least favorite people on earth - forward an email from an angry client.

This sales guy's style is to copy as many executive management personnel as possible, so my boss was on the email.

The client was upset over a $7 difference on the invoice.  SEVEN DOLLARS.  They're a multi-million dollar/year establishment (I won't divulge the type business because it's niche and I don't want you !@#$ers figuring out where I work).  But it was seven bucks.

Next thing I know, I've got my boss emailing me, texting me, calling me, leaving me voicemails.

My supervisor spent a solid half hour figuring out what the difference was (it was not our fault).  

This sales guy is the typical yuppie with the shaved sides of his head and the big, gelled comb-over.  He doesn't work in the same state I do, so I've never met him in person.  If/when I do, I'll have to do all I can to not punch him in the !@#$ing throat.

So yes, Kirbs ... it's one of those weeks.

Does he drive an Audi? 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hide a bag of raw shrimp somewhere in his office that he will never be able to find.  He might quit after a few days.

Or kill him...

I suggest starting with the shrimp....but that’s just me. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Think before you deliver the blow..think hard..you could kill him if you did that.

1.) Document everything both you and he does with your accounts. Print out multiple hard copies of all of those emails he sends, as well as the documentation that he's full of crap, so the information don't magically disappear if/when you have to start taking more assertive action. Do not leave the hard copies in your office.

2.) Talk to the other partners one at a time, explain your side of the story, especially that he is fabricating a lot of the nonsense he is very publicly accusing you of. Show them the proof that he's lying, and risking millions of dollars in revenue with his little temper tantrum. You're not going to make him go away on your own, but if the other partners tell him to STFU, he'll have to listen.

3.) This is underhanded, but start talking to your big accounts about him, and that they need to be wary of dealing with him. Use your relationship with them to undermine him, without alienating the customers. If big accounts start telling the higher-ups that they're only going to deal with you, what are the powers-that-be going to do?

4.) Go into his office unannounced when every else is at lunch, close the door, pimp slap him across the face, knock him on his ass, and then have a very blunt discussion as to why you feel his actions are inappropriate, and that he's going to very clearly (and carefully) explain to you what the problem is. Repeat the pimp slap as necessary. Try not to leave marks. Have an alibi and a fall guy ready. I volunteer @Boyst62.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I suggest starting with the shrimp....but that’s just me. 

Crushed garlic under the heater, or in a closet. Rubs into carpet, and almost impossible to find.

Edited by Koko78
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

1.) Document everything both you and he does with your accounts. Print out multiple hard copies of all of those emails he sends, as well as the documentation that he's full of crap, so the information don't magically disappear if/when you have to start taking more assertive action. Do not leave the hard copies in your office.

2.) Talk to the other partners one at a time, explain your side of the story, especially that he is fabricating a lot of the nonsense he is very publicly accusing you of. Show them the proof that he's lying, and risking millions of dollars in revenue with his little temper tantrum. You're not going to make him go away on your own, but if the other partners tell him to STFU, he'll have to listen.

3.) This is underhanded, but start talking to your big accounts about him, and that they need to be wary of dealing with him. Use your relationship with them to undermine him, without alienating the customers. If big accounts start telling the higher-ups that they're only going to deal with you, what are the powers-that-be going to do?

4.) Go into his office unannounced when every else is at lunch, close the door, pimp slap him across the face, knock him on his ass, and then have a very blunt discussion as to why you feel his actions are inappropriate, and that he's going to very clearly (and carefully) explain to you what the problem is. Repeat the pimp slap as necessary. Try not to leave marks. Have an alibi and a fall guy ready. I volunteer @Boyst62.

Crushed garlic under the heater, or in a closet. Rubs into carpet, and almost impossible to find.

I’m sure alternative approaches are a possibility too....

34 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I'm down