Round 1: How about we swapped the 7th and 16th selections?

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

A lot of these experts are crying about the two second rounders that they used to trade up to 7....

Plenty of pre draft mocks I saw had them trading up to 4 or 5 to pick Allen giving up both first rounders and more...

It appears that these guys are fixated on them giving up too much to get to 7, but would have been happy to give up more to get to 4 or 5 for the SAME player...

It is fascinating to watch revisionist draft mockery get revised right before our eyes!  Anything for a click.  Besides, it's easy to take shots at the potential "Ryan Leaf."  If he flops..."I told you first!"  If he succeeds..."Aw shucks, but boy I'm happy for him!"  It's a no-lose situation for sports writers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK Here is another way to love our Round 1 choices.

Just imagine that we had picked Tremaine Edmunds at 7 and Josh Allen at 16. Clearly nobody - even that SI writer who gave us a D- just based off the Allen trade and pick - would think it is bad. Tremaine is a genuine Top 10 talent who you can plug anywhere (OLB, ILB, DE, even DB) you have a hole. And, to get one of the top 4 QBs (who others coveted too) at 16 has to be a steal, no?

I think some of these writers (Silva / Iyer) are just not thinking clearly!

Better not to care what a sportswriter thinks.  They are not scouts. 

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

At the end of the day we still end up with Allen, the last QB I wanted. So what difference does it make?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what QB you wanted because you aren't the front office.

Are you still going to watch the bills with Allen?

I am.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what QB you wanted because you aren't the front office.

Are you still going to watch the bills with Allen?

I am.

What in my post indicated I wasn't going to watch the Bills? I answered the thread's question. At the end of the day, quit jumping to baseless conclusions.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

A lot of these experts are crying about the two second rounders that they used to trade up to 7....

Plenty of pre draft mocks I saw had them trading up to 4 or 5 to pick Allen giving up both first rounders and more...

It appears that these guys are fixated on them giving up too much to get to 7, but would have been happy to give up more to get to 4 or 5 for the SAME player...

In weaker drafts pick #7 was like pick #4. This was a very deep top 10. I think it was fair. Not sure about Allen still, but time will tell.

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK Here is another way to love our Round 1 choices.

Just imagine that we had picked Tremaine Edmunds at 7 and Josh Allen at 16. Clearly nobody - even that SI writer who gave us a D- just based off the Allen trade and pick - would think it is bad. Tremaine is a genuine Top 10 talent who you can plug anywhere (OLB, ILB, DE, even DB) you have a hole. And, to get one of the top 4 QBs (who others coveted too) at 16 has to be a steal, no?

I think some of these writers (Silva / Iyer) are just not thinking clearly!

You don't give up two second round picks to move up 5 picks for a LB.  The third round pick was hard enough to swallow.  

If Edmunds was a top 10 pick why did he last until 16?

Allen was gone at 7 if we didn't make the deal to get to 7.  

Now if you said I could have Rosen at 9 - giving up a second and a fifth, , Edmunds at 16 giving up a second, and keep #65 I would take that deal.  I would have been happy with either Allen or Rosen.

5 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Allen would have been gone at #10 to Arizona, or does that bit of history change in your scenario.

I don't think that's his point.

Our 2 biggest needs we're Franchise QB and MLB. We got the #1 or #2 MLB prospect and, depending on who you ask, a #1, #2, #3 or #4 QB prospect in an extremely top-heavy QB class that saw 5 QBs drafted in the 1st round, most of who were drafted about where they were projected and weren't massively overdrafted like we did with Manuel back in 2013.

It's perspective... it means stop whining because we got 2 players by the 16th pick who were being mostly projected higher.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

What in my post indicated I wasn't going to watch the Bills? I answered the thread's question. At the end of the day, quit jumping to baseless conclusions.

Op never asked who you wanted at QB.

You interjected your dislike for Allen as the pick on your own accord.

The op was stating that all these draft grade media outlets wouldn't have blinked if we spent the same and traded up for Edmunds at #7 and Allen at #15, so they need to chill out and just look at the first round as a whole.

I think people giving negative reviews to the draft start with the assumption that the Bills have an immediate need at QB, and that Josh Rosen would have filled that immediate need better.  So swapping the picks around does not address that concern.  

QB is always a long term need, so if Allen is the better eventual QB than Rosen, it will be hard to criticize the draft in hindsight.  Both the second round pick and the third round pick were wonderful gifts of BPA also matching Bills needs. 

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Op never asked who you wanted at QB.

You interjected your dislike for Allen as the pick on your own accord.

The op was stating that all these draft grade media outlets wouldn't have blinked if we spent the same and traded up for Edmunds at #7 and Allen at #15, so they need to chill out and just look at the first round as a whole.

How random, I never asked for your opinion either.

21 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Good point. Those two second rounders don't add up to the #22 pick we retained. Everybody and their mother had us giving up both #1s and this board was peppered with people saying if Beane could keep #22 it would be a genius move. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Interesting perspective and pretty accurate. No one would have blinked on Edmunds at 7 and Allen would have been considered a steal at 16. Good post

And the (presumable) fact that it never could have happened makes the point even stronger. What are the odds Allen gets to 16? It’s not a lotto ticket, but still looking pretty slim. People will say, “well that would never happen”. Exactly. 

I’m good with trading down more than up, but there is a time and a place for everything. If you are going to swing the bat for a Franchise QB, pick your guy and go for it, and forget all the “charts”. (Then pray you picked right, because your future is dependent upon it!) 

I’m quite pleased with where we sit on this draft. They showed an ability to build capital, and a willingness to use it when they thought it made sense.  

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good point. Those two second rounders don't add up to the #22 pick we retained. Everybody and their mother had us giving up both #1s and this board was peppered with people saying if Beane could keep #22 it would be a genius move. 

And next year is completely intact.  :)

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2