EXACTLY why I think Beane blew the '18 draft.-Rds. 2-5

****LONG POST ALERT*****

Rd. 2

Okay, real fast... YES, I am aware there was no round 2 for the Bills... HUGE mistake to pass that up IMO... We started out with two picks at 53 & 56. -Perfect opportunity to grab a stud like Biletnikoff winner James Washington (#60 to PIT) to help out McCarron... If he didn't like anything else, Beane could have sought a trade partner to move down with extra picks into Rd. 3 where there was all kinds of good stuff to parlay with Harrison, who I think was a pretty decent pick.

Rd. 4

Taron Johnson CB, Weber State

Not sure what they could have been thinking here... There's lots of  kids playing double-A ball with talent... Taron Johnson is one of them.... But the level of competition he faced in the Big Sky Conference was an absolute joke... I get that he was Defensive player of the year in that conference, but 4th round??? -NFLdraftscout .com projected him as a 7th rounder... He was the 269th ranked prospect, and the 29th ranked CB in the draft!...  It's CRAZY that he was taken here... How do you put Johnson ahead of a CB like KSU's D.J. Reed who was 1st-team all-Big 12, and  2016 big-12 defensive rookie (newcomer) of the year? Making things even stranger was the fact that the Bills had ZERO contact with Johnson until 20 minutes before making the pick!

I heard Bills scouts were at Weber State's pro day, but the kid maintains there was NO PRIOR CONTACT. -Sorry, but that's weird.

Rd. 5

Siran Neal, CB Jacksonville State

First of all, -ANOTHER 2-A CORNERBACK????

What the hell for??? ? The Bills already have 5 CB's and 5 safeties on the roster including Davis, Gaines, White, Hyde and Poyer!!..  I get that Neal is versatile... Played some LB, got moved to corner his senior year... There's SS potential there for sure... Neal is a bigger, thicker, guy who packs a heavy wallop... He's already 24, so there's no time to screw around... Nothing against him, but he was the 9th ranked SS prospect out of 12 in this class... It seemed strange that third-ranked Longhorn safety Deshon Elliot is sitting right there, and Beane still takes Neal!

Elliot is a first-team all-American, and first-team big 12 player who showed up in some really BIG games. -I was confused, but not completely disappointed until....

Center Scott Quessenberry, TE Troy Fumagalli and TE Tyler Conklin all left the board #155 to Chargers, #156 to the Broncos, and #157 Vikings respectively... ANY ONE out of those three could have offered some much-needed foundation to our offense... Deflating, -to say the least. 

Rd. 5 (Pick #166)

Wyatt Teller G, Va.Tech

I'll walk this one back a little... This isn't a bad pick IMO... Wyatt is a little slow-reacting for my tastes, but does other things really well... Woulda been nice if Beane grabbed a TE or C in the previous rounds to further strengthen this O-Line, but whatever... Not a bad pick here.

Not gonna take on rounds 6 & 7 because those picks just don't hold much interest for most people... After all, Beane has his QB. -For now.  Most are happy with that, and that's fine.  I still think he missed some really big opportunities, and may come to regret forsaking all in pursuit of Josh Allen.

Edited by #34fan

He’s looking for fits in his defense.  Some players are better suited for man and/or outside. Johnson is seen to be a very good nickel zone prospect.  Neal plays downhill and has great athleticism/leaping ability.  He’s been a great gunner on ST and ST guys are needed.

teller was a great pick.  I too would’ve liked to see them draft a TE but going and getting the QB they wanted prevented us from having that opportunity.  A fair trade imo.  They got their QB without giving up 22 or future picks.  This defense really has the makings of being upper tier with the addition of Edmunds.  You don’t like him....everyone else with eyes loves him.  He’s can improve on things and will.  He’s 19 with an incredible wingspan and physique plus he runs a 4.52.  Can’t wait to watch him grow and become elite. 

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Go ahead and start thinking of new usernames. Magically, you won’t be around here whenever Allen and Edmunds both look the part.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of new screen names around here they can't be real Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4thandGoal said:

let me guess... your next post will be about "why they screwed up rounds 6 and 7" .   

At least now we know who didn't read the post.

4 hours ago, McBean said:

Go ahead and start thinking of new usernames. Magically, you won’t be around here whenever Allen and Edmunds both look the part.

:lol: Oh, I'll be here... Except I might have a Karlos Williams avatar instead of a Peterman one.

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

At least now we know who didn't read the post.

Well kudos to you for taking the time to write the post, but I think most people stopped reading after the first paragraph and that part was at the very end.  Everyone is very tired of everyone's opinions on the coulda, woulda, shoulda and looking backwards.  Need to start looking forward.

Speaking of looking forward....  Anyone know when rookie mini-camp starts?

Looking at NFL rosters you start to realize there are a lot of good football players out there that for one reason or another slip thru the cracks. Hopefully we landed 2 or 3 of them. That's all you can ask for in days 2 and 3. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Taron Johnson a bad pick? Lol

every scout and football guy I talk too say he was the top 2-3 slot corner in the draft

we got a day 1 slot corner

Maybe.... But we got him in the 4th instead of the 6th where he likely would have been waiting!... I just didn't get the run on Div 2 corners when there was so much whoopass left on the board, and when we already have 5 CB's on roster.