4th through 7th round of draft is not for filling needs

Logic

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

No playoffs now cause they didn’t get their 5th round WR.. Cancel the season,  return the season tickets, cancel the internet, no lunch money for the kids Monday for school.  

If Beane doesn’t pick a slow, undersized WR in the 7th rd then I’m done with this team

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Love seeing grown men cry over late round draft picks.. pretty pathetic 

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No playoffs now cause they didn’t get their 5th round WR.. Cancel the season,  return the season tickets, cancel the internet, no lunch money for the kids Monday for school.  

Hmmmmmm.

7 minutes ago, zevo said:

I’m guessing you were or are a AJ McCarron guy

You guessed wrong. I’m the pick the best player at 12 and keep your picks guy.  And I didn’t hate TT.  But I know that’s not a popular opinion here. 

99% of the fans know nothing about players outside the 1st-2nd Round. 

So they rejoice or complain based purely on how well the team checks off "needs" on the positional depth chart.

Listen.  I understand our desperate need for players on the O-Line.  We are in trouble there.  But in 2-3 years, nobody is going to care what "position" we drafted in the 4th-5th Round.  They are going to care whether we actually landed a good player or not.

If you know nothing about Taron Johnson or Siran Neal, never watched either of them play, and are only complaining because they don't play on the offensive side of the ball - it would probably be wiser just to sit back and keep quiet. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Indeed it would have. But if we had kept all those picks and "filled all of our needs", it would have sucked to not have a potential franchise QB and freak ILB just as bad, and people would've been upset anyway.

There is no knowing that.  Just speculation. I get it. I’m happy w the LB.  the qb who the hell knows.  I don’t like giving up picks. 

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just a quick note. It always bugs me when, int he 4th round and beyond, people get upset about certain picks. First of all, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the complaining person has actually seen the person they're complaining about play football. Is anyone really gonna sit here and tell me they watched film on Teron Johnson from Weber State?

More importantly, though, the 4th through 7th rounds are not for filling perceived needs! They're just not. 

You find your starters and early big time contributors in rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are for special teams players and depth, and hopefully those players also profile to long term starters or sub-package players.

So next time you want the 19th ranked wide receiver from Valdasta St and the Bills instead draft the 22nd ranked inside linebacker from Alcorn St, let's not pretend like it's a make-or-break crisis that's gonna cost the Bills the season. Okay? Okay.

Anyone who watches alot of college football scoffs at a good portion of these rankings... I watch tons of CFB.. D2 sometimes D3...

The only thing I recognize is domination... Regardless of conference or division, the only questions I ask are "did this kid dominate his competition?" and why?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You guessed wrong. I’m the pick the best player at 12 and keep your picks guy.  And I didn’t hate TT.  But I know that’s not a popular opinion here. 

I didn't hate TT either,great person and teamate by all accounts.

Just not a very good QB.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I didn't hate TT either,great person and teamate by all accounts.

Just not a very good QB.

I agree.  But he was good enough to not have to give up a bunch of picks to get another rookie.  Just my opinion.  I get what you are saying.  Just pick who drops to you.  This obsession with a frencheyes qb doesnt pan out usually. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Just a quick note. It always bugs me when, int he 4th round and beyond, people get upset about certain picks. First of all, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the complaining person has actually seen the person they're complaining about play football. Is anyone really gonna sit here and tell me they watched film on Teron Johnson from Weber State?

More importantly, though, the 4th through 7th rounds are not for filling perceived needs! They're just not. 

You find your starters and early big time contributors in rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are for special teams players and depth, and hopefully those players also profile to long term starters or sub-package players.

So next time you want the 19th ranked wide receiver from Valdasta St and the Bills instead draft the 22nd ranked inside linebacker from Alcorn St, let's not pretend like it's a make-or-break crisis that's gonna cost the Bills the season. Okay? Okay.

On the one hand, you have a point.  Perhaps two points, because with rare exceptions you're correct that complainants haven't seen the dude in question play, and if they have, they likely haven't seen the alternatives.

On the other hand, how do scouts go about comparing apples and oranges, cheetahs and warthogs, OLmen and Safeties?   I tend to believe that across the entire country, there are probably players somewhere at position A who are actually athletically and in terms of NFL potential close to players at position B, and therefore in the board, what separates them? 

Perhaps player A is indeed remarkably better than player B.

Or perhaps, the board is a reflection of the coach's priory on certain positions.  In which case it's fair for the fans to carp a little if other positions look a little neglected.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just because we NEED a few offensive linemen doesn't necessarily mean that the ones left on the board are worth taking. What if the highest rated player on the Bills' board is a safety or corner, and he's highest ranked BY FAR. Do you want them to draft an inferior player just because they have a need? 

A fifth round offensive lineman isn't walking through the door and curing what ails the Bills in terms of run and pass protection. Honor value, find contributors, trust your board. Don't reach for need in late rounds to make fans happy.

Logic is representing the point well here. 

Its almost always bpa on day three, the odds are long that anyone picked this deep will make the team at all, much less be a game changer.   

Every spot could use depth, every team is just pulling the trigger on the guys that can come into camp and possibly surprise everyone.   

8 hours ago, Logic said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just because we NEED a few offensive linemen doesn't necessarily mean that the ones left on the board are worth taking. What if the highest rated player on the Bills' board is a safety or corner, and he's highest ranked BY FAR. Do you want them to draft an inferior player just because they have a need? 

A fifth round offensive lineman isn't walking through the door and curing what ails the Bills in terms of run and pass protection. Honor value, find contributors, trust your board. Don't reach for need in late rounds to make fans happy.

The other important factor is you have to have what I call a landing spot for a player you're going to pick, in other words don't draft someone for a position where it's unlikely to have a roster spot for him to fill, else it becomes a wasted pick.

When I look at the Bills O-line last year, I saw 3 well above average players in Woods, Richie, and Glenn when he was healthy, all three now gone, replaced with journeymen type players.  While these guys may be fine this year as a unit, not sure they are strong enough to support a mid round rookie playing next to them.  Like Last year, the unit could hold up with Dawkins out there making mistakes early on and let him grow.

They now do have one rookie, but rather see them sign another June 1st vet for depth, next year, assuming Dawkins continues to improve, they'd have the money  to sign one or even two star O-line players, then can afford to also sign and play a rookie next to them, and they can sign 1st or 2nd round lineman too.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or perhaps, the board is a reflection of the coach's priory on certain positions.  In which case it's fair for the fans to carp a little if other positions look a little neglected.

Carp, sure that's fine, but to hear these people go one stating how the FO are idiots and don't know anything and what a terrible pick it was is pretty funny.

I feel I know as much about these players the Bills drafted as about 99% of the people here on this site and that is absolutely nothing and neither does anyone else when compared to the amount of knowledge people actually working in the business know.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

The boo birds that dont like the later picks are probably the same folks that were saying they were trying to tank last year.

Typically the great players are in the first 3 rounds, later rounds are for prospects, depth, special teamers, and package guys.  

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other important factor is you have to have what I call a landing spot for a player you're going to pick, in other words don't draft someone for a position where it's unlikely to have a roster spot for him to fill, else it becomes a wasted pick.

When I look at the Bills O-line last year, I saw 3 well above average players in Woods, Richie, and Glenn when he was healthy, all three now gone, replaced with journeymen type players.  While these guys may be fine this year as a unit, not sure they are strong enough to support a mid round rookie playing next to them.  Like Last year, the unit could hold up with Dawkins out there making mistakes early on and let him grow.

They now do have one rookie, but rather see them sign another June 1st vet for depth, next year, assuming Dawkins continues to improve, they'd have the money  to sign one or even two star O-line players, then can afford to also sign and play a rookie next to them, and they can sign 1st or 2nd round lineman too.

Carp, sure that's fine, but to hear these people go one stating how the FO are idiots and don't know anything and what a terrible pick it was is pretty funny.

I feel I know as much about these players the Bills drafted as about 99% of the people here on this site and that is absolutely nothing and neither does anyone else when compared to the amount of knowledge people actually working in the business know.

I thought Dawkins was the best lineman on the field.  Richie hurts, but Groy and Bodine will fill in fine.  Buffalo has an average Oline.  Not terrible.