Josh Allen talks ball with Kirk Cousins: Allen is a smart fella

https://officialize.com/originals/the-wake-up-call/kirk-cousins-josh-allen-part-3

Not sure if this was posted pre-draft anywhere, but this interaction with Kirk Cousins certainly shows how Allen is way ahead of schedule in recognizing defensive alignments, audibles and understanding options in the pass game. 

Many on here suggest Allen isn’t too bright or can’t read defenses...this suggests otherwise. 37 on the Wunderlic, pro style offense, took 45% snaps under center, mobile QB who can make ALL the throws....I’m happy with the pick. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 9

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

https://officialize.com/originals/the-wake-up-call/kirk-cousins-josh-allen-part-3

Not sure if this was posted pre-draft anywhere, but this interaction with Kirk Cousins certainly shows how Allen is way ahead of schedule in recognizing defensive alignments, audibles and understanding options in the pass game. 

Many on here suggest Allen isn’t too bright or can’t read defenses...this suggests otherwise. 37 on the Wunderlic, pro style offense, took 45% snaps under center, mobile QB who can make ALL the throws....I’m happy with the pick. 

I made a list of all the haters.   

That way when they start saying I loved the pick,  I can tell them shut the !@#$ up.   

Just like the 200,000 fans that say they were at the comeback game.   

Love the pick 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Good stuff.  I agree.  As fans I think all you can ask is that the GM be aggressive and get a player they wanted.  In terms of the player himself, there are only about 10-12 guys on the planet of over 7 billion that can play QB at a high level in the NFL.  The best scouts and GMs are at best taking an educated guess on who those people are. Lay folks are largely just taking guesses based on little.  If people knew with a high degree of certainty who will be good and bad at QB, they could make a fortune.  Allen seems to have everything needed too be good, physical talent and brains.  It's no guarantee, but it's about the best predictors you have.  And Beane and McDermott seem to know what they are doing, so I am going to be hopeful

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, mead107 said:

That way when they start saying I loved the pick,  I can tell them shut the !@#$ up.   

Love the pick 

has Riley Ferguson been drafted yet?

• Haha (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Love the pick 

I love the pic also haters will be haters. They will probably change their screen names when he turns out to be awesome so they can say how great he is

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

This is a great series, thanks for posting it...I scrolled down on the right and found Part 1 and 2 also!

I actually haven't seen the suggestion that Allen isn't bright or can't intellectually understand the plays.

The part I'm concerned about is can he recognize and react to what he sees, in real time during a game.  Some of his game-time decisions suggest this is something he needs to work on. 

In other ways as you (and Cousins!) point out, the fact that he took snaps under center and played in a pro-style offense will only help his transition.

2 minutes ago, PIP said:

I love the pic also haters will be haters. They will probably change their screen names when he turns out to be awesome so they can say how great he is

Nope, not here.  I put my opinions out there, and if I'm wrong, I'll gladly "belly up" to the bar for my helping of "crow".  I know Gunner Bill has said the same and I believe most others.

I've said and will say again I want nothing more now than for Allen to succeed and if he does, crow pie would be mighty tasty on my menu!

PS why is it that people can't just have opinions and point out flaws, they become transformed into "haters"?  I HATE that :P

• Like (+1) 7

Cousins is the man.

Always recall when he sat down with Gruden he was the only QB who asked so quick follow up questions that seemed to make Gruden have to stop talking and actually think and respond.

As for Allen...there is a lot to like.  I’m interested.

just time and patience and attention.

no rush to see him as starter until 2020 if need be.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a great series, thanks for posting it...I scrolled down on the right and found Part 1 and 2 also!

I actually haven't seen the suggestion that Allen isn't bright or can't intellectually understand the plays.

The part I'm concerned about is can he recognize and react to what he sees, in real time during a game.  Some of his game-time decisions suggest this is something he needs to work on. 

In other ways as you (and Cousins!) point out, the fact that he took snaps under center and played in a pro-style offense will only help his transition.

Nope, not here.  I put my opinions out there, and if I'm wrong, I'll gladly "belly up" to the bar for my helping of "crow".  I know Gunner Bill has said the same and I believe most others.

I've said and will say again I want nothing more now than for Allen to succeed and if he does, crow pie would be mighty tasty on my menu!

PS why is it that people can't just have opinions and point out flaws, they become transformed into "haters"?  I HATE that :P

:-)  You are so right.  Discourse has become way too mean.  We should be able to disagree without being  a**holes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part 2 was excellent where they talked about his game film. 

In Part 3 he explained how he would call out 88 as an even number to slide protection to the SAM if he felt the MIKE was cheating that way...blah blah blah. I guess if he can have an intelligent conversation with a pro like Cousins, he’s doing ok. 

I’ve seen some suggest he’s not bright (just a few on here) but many more suggest Rosen is most intelligent. This video puts my mind at ease on those comparisons. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree, I don't think that is a major concern; however, I do think it can be a major asset in terms of his development at the next level. His issues have been well documented and whether or not they can be corrected at the next level remains to be seen. But there were some good things to his game as well. As stated above, he played a lot of snaps (about 40%) under center in a pro style offense the last couple of years, and I read somewhere (can't remember where) that he graded out higher than the other prospects in high quality throws on third down and in the red zone.  I think there are a lot of similarities to Cam Newton and Carson Wentz. I am hoping for the best!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Fascinating! Allen comes across well, seems like he knows what he is doing. And I think I'm even more impressed with Cousins--being a teacher and mentor. That is high character on display. Good stuff, thanks BBF.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just real good stuff here, I see Kirk becoming a coach or going Into broadcasting when he is done. Allen is a late bloomer. Really the guy believes in himself. 1,000 letters sent out and not one scholarship. How good could his coaching have been at Jr. College his first 2 years of college. Wyoming is not a guru of QB coaching talent. This guy is just beginning to see his potential.  Jordon Palmer really got him squared away on his base and foot work. It showed at the senior bowl with near 70 percent completion and 2 TD’s. He seems humble and all about the team. I get a good vibe nothing has ever been handed to him. He has had to fight for everything he has gotten. We are lucky to have him his arm talent is Fave and Elway lethal. Allen had the best wonderlic score. Man his potential could be off the charts. Maybe beane and company really do know what there doing. Also a few of his games when he was playing power 5 teams at Wyoming it was jail break. Allen was literally running for his life. No one would have done well playing with the protection he had. He is a diamond ? that is about to get polished. The Bills will be reaping the rewards. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Like (+1) 5

What a great series!! Loved Cousins in those videos and this needs to be a bigger series next year.

Allen seems to have a good grasp of coverages and reads. It sure seemed like the interception in the Nebraska game was on the RB who read a different coverage. Still need to make sure everyone is on the same page. But some people watching it may just chalk it up to being an inaccurate throw when in fact it was just miscommunication. 

Thanks OP

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't believe it is really about differing opinions (on either side) as much as it is about the manner in which those opinions are expressed. Far too often, the tone of threads are influenced by a very vocal minority who feel the need express their opinions in aggressive, condescending ways - with little tolerance for anyone who disagrees.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Just real good stuff here, I see Kirk becoming a coach or going Into broadcasting when he is done. Allen is a late bloomer. Really the guy believes in himself. 1,000 letters sent out and not one scholarship. How good was his coachinghsve been at Jr. College. Wyoming is not a guru of coaching talent. This guy is just beginning to see his potential.  Jordon Palmer really got him squared away on his base and foot work. It showed at the senior bowl with near 70 percent completion and 2 TD’s. He seems humble and all about the team. I get a good vibe nothing has ever been handed to him. He has had to fight for everything he has gotten. We are lucky to have him his arm talent if Fave and Elway lethal. Guy had the best wonderlic score. Man his potential could be off the charts. Maybe beane and company really do know what there doing. 

Well said.