WGR Hosts Scared Of On-Air Confrontation

13 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Theyre professional. I think they’re good at what they do. 

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I don't mind listening to different viewpoints. I, personally, agree with Whitey, Howard, Schopp and Bulldog. They overspent on Allen. This guy showed NOTHING against top notch competition. Guys like Rosen and Lamar Jackson has. To give up so much draft capital on an unknown boggles my mind. I'd rather them made that move for Tremaine Edmunds. This Josh Allen move, to me, is similar to the EJ Manuel pick although Manuel had a better sample size coming from FSU. It seems that they chose someone who looks the part of a "franchise QB" as opposed to someone with the where with all the succeed at the position. On top of that giving up picks that could've helped this team tremendously. It's gonna be interesting to watch the careers of the prospects from this draft, I'm just hoping, as a Bills fan, that we see a positive outcome from the moves that the organization made and not dreaming of what could've been!!

• Like (+1) 2

Im so sick of the social justice grandstanding about some nonsense a white farm kid from a small town said when he was 15/16. Probably grew up very isolated. 

Get over it. If he proves himself to be a racist or bigot he will run himself out of town. Anyone who actually knows him seems to not think that is the case. 

It is so easy to go on the radio and act like a saint. Thank goodness they didn't grow up in an era where everything you said/did was recorded and archived. There is plenty to criticize about his game, can we not spend hours being politically correct and pandering? It is unlistenable. 

I wanted Rosen, but you know what? Im on the Allen train. He is "our guy" now. 

Edited by PirateHookerMD
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t agree. I think they do a terrible job. I think they have uninteresting narratives that seem to be shared throughout the day of programming. I think Howard and Jeremy are two of the least knowledgeable sports personalities that I have listened to. Including some non sports entities.

I think Schopp is very rude to the callers and often times cuts off good points.  I think Jeremy says things to try and kiss up to Schopp. These guys all sat there for years saying nothing else matters (if you don’t have the QB).  Schopp often joked about how little of an impact any of these other non QB positions make on a game. Then he spent all week saying we shouldnt trade picks because we need to fill out the roster with those other positions. The guy really is an !@#$ and most of what he says is asinine. The guy was acting as if the draft is completely random and nobody knows who will be good. Yet he is the same person that has prompted tanking on more then one occasion.I think Sal is pretty good but I don’t really count him as an actual person on WGR. I just don’t agree that they do a good job. 

I will say that the average level of sports knowledge of the WGR hosts is low. The "kids" at night and on the weekend are the only ones bringing that average up.

BTW Sal is employed by both the Bills and WGR. Plus he is his own program producer on other projects. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I will say that the average level of sports knowledge of the WGR hosts is low. The "kids" at night and on the weekend are the only ones bringing that average up.

BTW Sal is employed by both the Bills and WGR. Plus he is his own program producer on other projects. 

I kind of like the younger guys that are on after Schopp and the Bull dog. I’m cool with Sal, I just was talking about the actual hosts of the daily shows. I’m a rangers fan so I don’t listen to the hockey show but in the few mins I have accidentally left that on, they are pretty funny. There is also randomly a racing show on Saturday morning that I really like. My whole thing was much more about the two morning show guys, Schopp and to a lesser degree John Murphy.

23 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Im so sick of the social justice grandstanding about some nonsense a white farm kid from a small town said when he was 15/16. Probably grew up very isolated. 

Get over it. If he proves himself to be a racist or bigot he will run himself out of town. Anyone who actually knows him seems to not think that is the case. 

It is so easy to go on the radio and act like a saint. Thank goodness they didn't grow up in an era where everything you said/did was recorded and archived. There is plenty to criticize about his game, can we not spend hours being politically correct and pandering? It is unlistenable. 

I wanted Rosen, but you know what? Im on the Allen train. He is "our guy" now. 

I just snicker to myself any time somebody in media pretends to have as valid a take on a player as the scouts and front office dudes who are literally drowning in information... information that is not available in a draft preview magazine.  Admit I was torn over Rosen vs. Allen on Thursday night... then I remembered that it was probably best to just have some faith in the guys running the team.  I hope that Rosen does well... I don't like to hear a bunch of people questioning someone's character when they don't actually know that person.  That's not right.  Allen is one of us now... and I hope that he does really really well.  Pretty tough for a 20 year old kid from a farm in Wyoming to deal with some of the crap that's flying around here right now.  That's not right either.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I just snicker to myself any time somebody in media pretends to have as valid a take on a player as the scouts and front office dudes who are literally drowning in information... information that is not available in a draft preview magazine.  Admit I was torn over Rosen vs. Allen on Thursday night... then I remembered that it was probably best to just have some faith in the guys running the team.  I hope that Rosen does well... I don't like to hear a bunch of people questioning someone's character when they don't actually know that person.  That's not right.  Allen is one of us now... and I hope that he does really really well.  Pretty tough for a 20 year old kid from a farm in Wyoming to deal with some of the crap that's flying around here right now.  That's not right either.

I trust the people making the decisions until I can not. Year's ago I swore they would be morons for not taking Winston Justice. Turns out the staff at that time was morons, but it had nothing to do with Winston Justice.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The fact that Schoop, Bulldog, Simon & White have been with the station for a while now speaks volumes for their content.  None of them have any desire to move to bigger markets, and/or different jobs in broadcasting, and they clearly have tons of job security.  This is what leads to mediocre sports talk radio.

There is no other game in town for a market that is hungry for sports talk....it is puzzling why there is zero competition....

39 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I kind of like the younger guys that are on after Schopp and the Bull dog. I’m cool with Sal, I just was talking about the actual hosts of the daily shows. I’m a rangers fan so I don’t listen to the hockey show but in the few mins I have accidentally left that on, they are pretty funny. There is also randomly a racing show on Saturday morning that I really like. My whole thing was much more about the two morning show guys, Schopp and to a lesser degree John Murphy.

The Instigators and One Bills Live are Pegula Sports Entertainment productions. Nothing to do with WGR.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought there was another Buffalo station that talked sports, WECK with Brad Riter and Nick Mendola. Isn’t that where the Buffalo News sports reporters sometimes appear?

Re: hosts calling to trade up for QB and then saying they gave up too much. Their issue isn’t the trade up, but who they picked. They didn’t think Allen was worth trading so much for compared to the other QBs, including Rosen. And after seeing what Arizona gave up to get Rosen, the Bills could have done the same at less cost for a more NFL ready QB.

14 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Mike will debate anyone who calls him....why won't he debate Sal when he has the chance?  Ditto for Jeremy.  Cowards

This is pretty simple. Jeremy and Mike can't make one of their co-workers look bad in front of consumers/customers, in this case the audience.

It's basic professional etiquette that applies to all work places. Their is a time and a place for it, or in their case, their are debates to be had, but I don't think this is a good one for them. Putting Sal in a place to stand up for racist tweets when he's not sure how black players on the team he covers who he needs to have a good relationship isn't a good spot. 

3 hours ago, Wroughting said:

I agree they, Mike in particularly, can get quite prickly with callers, but the callers are so bad.

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again (cuz I actually used to work in radio, in a major east coast market): Disdain for the audience can work, but you better bring the funny. Scope does not bring the funny. 

6 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

I thought there was another Buffalo station that talked sports, WECK with Brad Riter and Nick Mendola. Isn’t that where the Buffalo News sports reporters sometimes appear?

Re: hosts calling to trade up for QB and then saying they gave up too much. Their issue isn’t the trade up, but who they picked. They didn’t think Allen was worth trading so much for compared to the other QBs, including Rosen. And after seeing what Arizona gave up to get Rosen, the Bills could have done the same at less cost for a more NFL ready QB.

You overlook the fact that the Cards were also trying to trade up to 7 to get Allen. That's been reported.

14 hours ago, beerme1 said:

F em. I'll trust McBeane and Sal's take before the idiots. F em.

I actually think Sal, while a hard worker, seems like an incredibly simple-minded person. I don’t think of him as a great thinker, and he normally says the most obvious thing.

Beane seems intelligent.  I like the way he slows down the conversation and appears to have a grasp on the different challenges the team faces, rather than ignore them like previous GMs. I don’t love the Allen pick, but I understand what he’s trying to do.

McDermott seems predictable, and is probably great pals with someone like Sal.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

To me if you believe there is a franchise QB you do what you have to and move up to get him, the Bills moved up and got to keep the extra 1st rounder to do so, wether they overspent or not if Allen turns out to be the guy for the next decade+ then he'll look like a bargain for 2 second rounders imo.

It could be a company policy and they need to follow the rules to keep their jobs.  And to tbh, who gives a !@#$?

3 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I live in NC and listen via the WGR app ... the drive home with Schoop and Bulldog is difficult .. there is limited energy .. sounds like two old guys at a coffee shop .. .when Sal joins at least there is some energy.  Even the guy that comes on after Schoop and Bulldog has energy.   Now that the draft is over ... I'm likely back to music till training camp.

Schopp & Bulldog is the best show they have, and it gets the best ratings as well, so...

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Like most of you I have been listening to nearly all of WGR's coverage on the Bills draft.  It's been interesting hearing how strongly different personalities have expressed their views, but they seem to very timid to confront each other on-air.  In fact, I can't really remember a time when there was an argument on-air at WGR like I can with other sports talk show.  

Case and point - all morning Jeremy White was whinging that the Bills overspent to trade up for Allen citing the "draft charts" as evidence.  Later that morning, they bring Sal Capaccio on and Howard asked him point blank "did the Bills overspend," to which Sal emphatically responds "oh no" and then proceeds to respond why.  Not one challenge from Howard or Jeremy.  Then of course, after Sal hangs up, in a very condecending way Jeremy uses to Jimmy Johnson value chart explicitly say how the Bills overspent.  Why didn't he just disagree with Sal?

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-2

On an unrelated note -  if you listen to hour 1, it's essentially Howard and Jeremy complaining about Josh Allen.  When a fan on Twitter told Howard to "say it to his face," he went on a 5 minute rant trying to walk back his comments.  Surprisingly, when Allen does an interview with Howard and Jeremy they act very nice and lob some softball questions.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-newest-bills-qb-josh-allen-howard-and-jeremy

Later that afternoon, it's Schopp and the Bulldog.  Mike Schopp also rants about how he hated the Allen pick, why the Bills make dumb decisions, and again how they paid too much to trade up.  Bulldog (who seems scared to disagree with Schopp on anything) argues that the Bills "spent like a drunken sailer."  Mike then rants about the comments on Twitter and how that situations makes him not want to pull for Allen.

Wouldn't you know it...Sal comes on the air.  Again he talks about how he didn't think so.  Then the whole Twitter story comes out.  Sal does an excellent job explaining the situation and passionately shares why the tweets he made at 16 are not indicative of who he currently . Again, no response from Mike who previously said he didn't want to route for Allen because of the tweets.  

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-2

My thing is - if you are an on-air personality and you disagree with someone don't sit there and say "OK"

IMHO they are GUTLESS! I was on hold yesterday and I gave the screener my take on them not having the Balls nor professionalism to state their case with Allen (either face to face or via radio interview). I wanted to call them out on-air. The screener eventually got back on line with me and told me that I was wasting my time and should just hang up. I know it's impossible but that stationed should be shunned by all Bills players. 

15 hours ago, Heitz said:

Their thing is - they don't really believe what they say, they just spout baseless opinions that rile up fans and fill time.  :D

And their ratings ?

45 minutes ago, fridge said:

I actually think Sal, while a hard worker, seems like an incredibly simple-minded person. I don’t think of him as a great thinker, and he normally says the most obvious thing.

Beane seems intelligent.  I like the way he slows down the conversation and appears to have a grasp on the different challenges the team faces, rather than ignore them like previous GMs. I don’t love the Allen pick, but I understand what he’s trying to do.

McDermott seems predictable, and is probably great pals with someone like Sal.

Sal is the no-one-knows-me-i-am-on-this-lift-everyday  office going guy

Beane is the Mr. Suit guy that everyone wants to shake hand

McDermott is the  lunch pail guy who would like to HiFi everyone on that lift!

Three different personalities.

57 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is pretty simple. Jeremy and Mike can't make one of their co-workers look bad in front of consumers/customers, in this case the audience.

It's basic professional etiquette that applies to all work places. Their is a time and a place for it, or in their case, their are debates to be had, but I don't think this is a good one for them. Putting Sal in a place to stand up for racist tweets when he's not sure how black players on the team he covers who he needs to have a good relationship isn't a good spot. 

You probably should listen to what Sal said.  By no means did he “stand up for racial tweets.”  He said kids today make mistakes like this everyday and shouldn’t be judged for things they did as teenagers