RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

1 minute ago, Joe Miner said:

People change their minds for all sorts of reasons.  Sometimes it's based off of evidence.  I'd suggest people are more likely to change their minds based on emotions.  Just look at this topic.  Most people seemingly didn't want Allen, but now the emotional connection to the Bills has swayed them to change their minds.

Doesn't mean that they don't have the right to suggest you change yours.  It also doesn't mean that you can't maintain your opinion until proven wrong (if that happens).

Yea. I am not wired that way. I don't change my mind on emotion and to be honest people who do irritate me endlessly. 

But I am not to Alpha's concern going to be one of those people freaking out over a ball in the hospitality tent in the first week of camp. Allen is a project and I expect some bumps. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no end goal my brain just doesn't work like that. I can't pretend I didn't think things just because it becomes uncomfortable to think them. I have no doubt the Bills worked exceptionally hard on the decision. McDermott and Beane are thorough almost to a fault but that doesn't guarantee they made the right decision. 

I will absolutely support Josh Allen but the only way he changes my mind about him is by doing it on the football field. 

I certainly understand your thoughts.   I appreciate the good conversation.  

I'll just leave you with this.  No one predicts the future.  So I'd just like for you as an obvious great fan of the team, to get to a place where you're feeling: maybe I'm wrong vs it's unlikely I'm wrong.  

One thing to consider about Josh is that he worked in a pro-style offense at Wyoming.  He went under center and used the five and seven step drop.  He's mobile, athletic, and very hard worker.  Getting to the NFL is a lifetime dream of his.  He's overcome a lot of obstacles to get where he's at including no offers out of high school and only two offers out of junior college.  Fortunately for him and Wyoming, Coach Craig Bohl and his OC Brent Vigen saw something in Josh.  And oh, by the way, they are the same coaches that recruited Carson Wentz to North Dakota State.  Josh is a high character guy which you saw how he owned up to the racially tinged tweets he made in high school, no excuses and his apology was sincere.  He's a great leader.  His teammates at Wyoming loved him and  played hard for him.  And for what's it worth he completed his degree at Wyoming.  As a University of Wyoming alumnus and Cowboys fan, I acknowledge I'm biased.  But believe me, you're getting a good guy and he'll do everything in his power to help his team win. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Josh Rosen, on getting drafted by the Cardinals: “I dodged getting drafted by the Browns, Jets, AND Bills. I’m the luckiest man on earth.”

Rosen is a notorious !@#$. He will continue to be an !@#$

I'm so glad he wasn't the pick.

Wow.  We’re the ones who dodged a bullet.  What a PoS.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

In the end the result was going to be the same. There is only one cold blooded principle that is followed in this brutal business: Are you good enough. He wasn't. The same line of reasoning applied to Taylor i.e. he wasn't good enough. People had a tendency to make the sentimental argument that he wasn't treated fairly. Ultimately, whether he was treated fairly or not is immaterial because the outcome was going to be the same. It may be harsh but it is the reality. 

My argument isn't about fairness. It is about process and principle. The result would have been the same I have zero doubt but the only person who really benefitted from the benching was Doug Marrone. 

20 minutes ago, Dark said:

Are the stats invalid?  Or are they more valid than anecdotes like "he played with a lot of bad players at Wyoming, so his completion percentage doesn't matter"? 

And the pattern of inaccuracy does matter.  The basis of the critique of those who didn't want Allen was his low completion percentage.  It has been an incredibly consistent predictor of what a QB will do at the next level.  I don't think most fans are raging against Allen because they personally dislike him or want him to fail, it's just that a low completion percentage is a BIG RED FLAG.

I understand the skepticism,

Supporting cast however does matter in everything a QB is able to accomplish in my humble opinion.  Josh Allen tries to make the harder throws because he can vs dumping the ball off and his completion percentege suffers because of it.

Lets coach this kid up and see what happens.

We already know Allen can make every throw he will be asked to make at a very high velocity.

Time will tell...

5 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Today was a GREAT DAY!

It went as well as I could have imagined. Darnold was my first choice, but I'm happy with Allen, AND we got Edmunds. Bills fans should be shitting glitter.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.  But that would be blue collar, lunch pail, working class, Kyle Williams signature glitter.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Please post your reaction in this thread only...

I think everyone is getting a little too upset here.......we have A.J. McCarron and Nathan peterman on our roster as qbs. Could this really get any worse??? Josh has the typical size teams drool over, a rocket of an arm, and an incredible upside. Compare his college stats to Brady’s, they are actually better then his and he played in Wyoming where there was no talent surrounding him. I am excited t see what this kid can do. I just wish they could of went for a reciever to help him out with the other first rounder. I don’t think a linebacker was a bigger needed then an offensive lineman or wide receiver. Our defence was actually pretty good last year. We need offensive help. Tyrod wasn’t gonna get us a Super Bowl throwing a measly 14tds a year. Like it or not, this is an improvement as he can fire the ball anywhere he wants. Hell I seen this kid throwing 50 yards from his knees. As for his accuracy problems everyone is complaining about, once again surrounded by no talent. This kid throws the ball where it needs to be, it’s not his problem receivers can’t catch catchable balls...........GO BILLS!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I certainly understand your thoughts.   I appreciate the good conversation.  

I'll just leave you with this.  No one predicts the future.  So I'd just like for you as an obvious great fan of the team, to get to a place where you're feeling: maybe I'm wrong vs it's unlikely I'm wrong.  

Oh there is a chance I am wrong. I always said I thought Allen had a chance to end up a franchise QB - I just think it is a very small chance. I still think that is unlikely to be wrong. We will know more when he gets on the field. I would happily have him sit for a year but I doubt they get that luxury because I don't think AJ is gonna be able to move the offense much. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wow.  We’re the ones who dodged a bullet.  What a PoS.

I have to put a disclaimer on this (or Fridge will have me sued for slander). This was a fake Twitter quote. I already disavowed. 

But there are plenty of reasons to think that Rosen is not well liked by people around him in LA.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I am not wired that way. I don't change my mind on emotion and to be honest people who do irritate me endlessly. 

But I am not to Alpha's concern going to be one of those people freaking out over a ball in the hospitality tent in the first week of camp. Allen is a project and I expect some bumps. 

I expect many bumps.  I actually hope they don't have to play him this year.  If he starts this year, I really hope it's because he earns it and not because AJ is worse than I think he will be.

Getting drafted by the Bills doesn't/shouldn't erase doubts (heck if you look at history, it should probably increase them), it just allows room for hope.

But I don't think AJ is good, and I have concerns about Allen as well.  I don't begrudge anyone objectively criticizing him.  But I do get irritated by those that feel it necessary to continually **** on everything the Bills do (I don't believe you are in that camp).