Allen or Jackson or Rudolph

Bakin

Allen or Jackson or Rudolph  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take at 12?

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He looks like a spot starter who will primarily be a backup at the NFL level so I 100% disagree.  Rosen and Darnold are simply better prospects who have shown more.

Yes cornerblitz we disagree about Rudolph. I see something in Rudolph that you don’t. I will say this if the Bills draft Rosen I will support him and root for him to do well as the Bills QB or any of the top 6 QB’s. Secretly I would love it if the Bills got Lamar Jackson this guy could end up as the most exciting player in the NFL. I really love Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

59 minutes ago, Fan boy '92 said:

Honestly, your Rudolph comment doesn't make any logical sense at all if you've seen any of his tape. The guy, after assessing the field unnaturally quickly,  without hesitation throws to all parts of the field, hitting receivers in stride, with very few picks. His receivers rarely need to adjust to his throws. In fact, balls are placed where the receiver has the best chance to catch them at all levels of the field. His deep throws look like other passers' medium, his mediums look like their short. He does it consistently. He rarely has a down moment. It's pedal to the metal at all times, usually deciding games before the half. That's why some posters and nfl guys are saying he may be the best of the bunch. Just sayin...

Which Rudolph comment?  That I’d be sad if we take him at 22 and that I might combust if we take him at 12?  Or the comment that I’ve seen him play and that’s why I don’t want him to be our best chance at a franchise qb?  

Am I the first person that you’ve seen make a negative post about Rudolph?  You seem confused.  That’s confusing. 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh Allen

He fits what they are looking for

He is not supposed to be there at 12

Most upside of any qb in this draft

Will be holding a clipboard for a while.....but.....

I don't agree that he has the most upside. All of the pundits say that he can't read defenses and inaccurate. Jackson may have accuracy issues, but he can read defenses. Jackson has a strong arm and wheels. Also Jackson has improved each season in college. Haven't heard of any such improvements from Allen

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Just go to 4 and get one of Rosen or Mayfield.

Everything else is a failure, though Allen at 12 would feel salvageable.  

Hate to say it, but Rosen's health and availability is likely going to be a frustrating issue.

Mayfield is risky. Heisman qb flames out quickly in the nfl, not a story I want to read here. Let the Jets have that one. 

Allen, and we're back in qb pergutory. 

Darnold might live up to the hype, but I'd like a qb that makes his reads and throws from the pocket. Will never win consistently plying backyard football, and the picks.

Rudolph, 6'5" 235lbs does it all. Scouts shy away because no one plays defense in the Big 12, but he played big out of conference games and shredded those defenses too. He's going to kill you from the pocket, but is sneaky athletic. Doesn't run much because he throws the ball on target in small windows, but can if he needs to.

1 hour ago, Fan boy '92 said:

Honestly, your Rudolph comment doesn't make any logical sense at all if you've seen any of his tape. The guy, after assessing the field unnaturally quickly,  without hesitation throws to all parts of the field, hitting receivers in stride, with very few picks. His receivers rarely need to adjust to his throws. In fact, balls are placed where the receiver has the best chance to catch them at all levels of the field. His deep throws look like other passers' medium, his mediums look like their short. He does it consistently. He rarely has a down moment. It's pedal to the metal at all times, usually deciding games before the half. That's why some posters and nfl guys are saying he may be the best of the bunch. Just sayin...

Which Rudolph comment?  That I’d be sad if we take him at 22 and that I might combust if we take him at 12?  Or the comment that I’ve seen him play and that’s why I don’t want him to be our best chance at a franchise qb?  

Am I the first person that you’ve seen make a negative post about Rudolph?  You seem confused.  That’s confusing. 

He reminds me of a shipwreck.  When I watch him throw I see sailors and floaters all over the place.  I see a system qb that can deliver the ball within the offense,  when the play breaks down, he’s quite useless.  He won’t have the best WR combo in the league like he did at OSU.

you like him.  Cool.  I don’t. 

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He reminds me of a shipwreck.  When I watch him throw I see sailors and floaters all over the place.  I see a system qb that can deliver the ball within the offense,  when the play breaks down, he’s quite useless.  He won’t have the best WR combo in the league like he did at OSU.

you like him.  Cool.  I don’t. 

I don't get confused and based on the summary of your comments, take your pick. I didn't mean to single you out and I'd hate to see you combust, but Bills scouts seem high on the guy.

4 minutes ago, Fan boy '92 said:

I don't get confused and based on the summary of your comments, take your pick. I didn't mean to single you out and I'd hate to see you combust, but Bills scouts seem high on the guy.

I agree I have read some where the Bills scouts have seen him play more colleges games live then any QB and have spent the most time with him. I think it’s Darnold 1st for Mcbean then if Darnold is gone they stay at 12 and draft Rudolph. Will see what happens. I know one thing the Bills draft board will not be the same as all the other teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta say I'm a little surprised at these poll numbers...I mean..I get how Allen could be the favorite...Some people love big arm dude...And he is enticing for sure...But better than 2/1?...Wow...

If the Bills end up with Allen I won't be despondent...Even if they end up with Rudolph I have hope...SO much of this will come down to Coaching and fit in whatever Offense the Bills put forward...

But I think Lamar Jackson is a better QB now, and I'm guessing, based on what I saw from the past 3 years, he'll be a better QB 5 years from now...

I don't think it's even close...

And that's why scouting NFL QB's is the tremendously tough...It's REAL hard to look at Allen and not see the amazing possibilities...They seem endless...And there is literally no way of properly explaining why a kid with that much natural athletic ability...ability that seems custom made for the job of NFL QB, is just not that great pre and post snap...A kid THAT book smart too...He's just not that good at football right now...His adjusted completion percentage WITH drops is still barely over 60%...He will drop back and look very sound technically at times and still sail balls WAY off target...He does not seem to be able to process what he sees all that well...And asking him to make the jump of all jumps while expecting him to get MUCH...I mean A LOT better?...Where he will need to not only read and process in a twitch, he'll also need to execute at the same time...To me Allen has not shown that ability against average College teams...And he's suddenly going to learn how to do this in the NFL? I don't know...It's a MASSIVE leap of faith...

On the other hand you have a kid who is an amazing football player who book tested like a dummy, but goes out on the football field and is electric...119 total TD's in 3 years on an average College team...The highest percentage of dropped passes among the top QB's in this Draft (His adjusted completion % with drops added puts him at QB4 in this Draft)...Possibly the best running QB to ever enter the NFL...And he can pass too...Sits and slides in pocket...Sees it better than Allen...Executes it better than Allen...And has gotten better as a passer every year...

I'm not saying Jackson is a sure thing...And I do worry about his ability to stay healthy with that slim frame... But as an admitted barely-amateur Scout there is no way I would take Allen ahead of Jackson...No way...And I think Bills fans should be careful not to underestimate the possibility of Jackson at #12 and keeping all our picks...Assuming the Bills cannot get Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen that's what I'm hoping for...

image.thumb.png.d7a6dbc4ede92230394a9de73a03453d.png
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Fan boy '92 said:

They seem high enough on him that they’re trying to trade up from 12. Seems like a backup plan to me.  Not what we want.  This is the year we get our franchise QB.  Not our backup QB

I picked Allen even though I don't really want any of these guys. He at least has the size and Physical Gifts and could develop. Lamar Jackson I feel will probably come in for somebody and have a good 6-8 games before either he is injured or defenses figure him out. Mason Rudolph has allot to prove at the next level he seems like a college system QB that always worked out of the gun not sure how that translates honestly doesn't have a great track record in the NFL in the recent past.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They seem high enough on him that they’re trying to trade up from 12. Seems like a backup plan to me.  Not what we want.  This is the year we get our franchise QB.  Not our backup QB

A lot of people and teams see Rudolph as a franchise QB. So just because a lot of so called draft pundits have him 6th does not mean it’s true. Many people on this board were saying mahomes was going in the 3rd round or worse. Then he gets drafted at 10 in the first round and is the 2nd QB off the board.  So no if the Bills draft him in the first round he will be considered a franchise QB until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

A lot of people and teams see Rudolph as a franchise QB. So just because a lot of so called draft pundits have him 6th does not mean it’s true. Many people on this board were saying mahomes was going in the 3rd round or worse. Then he gets drafted at 10 in the first round and is the 2nd QB off the board.  So no if the Bills draft him in the first round he will be considered a franchise QB until proven otherwise. 

Which teams see Rudolph as a franchise QB?  Enlighten me

2 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

It’s been rumored Denver, Pitt, NE patriots that’s who. Some draft guru’s had Rudolph number 1 rated QB 

I don't believe any draft gurus had Rudolph as QB1. Chris Trapasso did, but he's no guru. He was writing for BuffaloRumblings like a year ago.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't believe any draft gurus had Rudolph as QB1. Chris Trapasso did, but he's no guru. He was writing for BuffaloRumblings like a year ago.

I can't fathom how anyone could have him as the #1 QB prospect from either a physical or an NFL readiness perspective.

24 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Why are people so worried about Jackson getting injured in the NFL?? He has NO injury history in college. NONE!!

totally agree with this. Plus it’s been proven he likes to stay in the pocket and not run and go through his progressions before he takes off. He is pass first QB based on stats. He had a lot of planed or called runs. I think 11 a game in college. That will be changed to maybe 3 designed runs a game in the pros. He might just be the goat ? of this draft class 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen: this whole high ceiling thing is nonsense. Yes he can chuck it 90 yards but is he accurate inside of 20 yard throws? Can he process NFL defenses?

Jackson: 13 Wonderlick, mom is his agent, also accuracy concerns? Running qbs rarely survive the NFL. For every Russell Wilson you have Vick, Young, RG3, TT etc....

Rudolph: If I had a gun to my head I'd take Rudolph to have the best career between these 3, but he too has issues.

As others have said none of these guys are worthy of 12. Maybe 18-23 range or even lower?

Edited by LABILLBACKER

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Why are people so worried about Jackson getting injured in the NFL?? He has NO injury history in college. NONE!!

Staying healthy in college doesnt mean much when you're talking about running around in a grown man's league like the NFL.

Vick and RG3 didnt have any injury history in college, because no one at that level could touch them. Different story when you get to the pros and everyone is faster and stronger.

RG3's career ended early. Vick was always dinged up. We've even seen the "thicker" guys like Wilson and Tyrod get nicked up recently.

Wentz's season was ended when he ran the ball and he's a stout dude. Watson blew an ACL already.

For a kid like Jackson who will run the ball in the NFL, and who has the frailest build Ive seen in a long time, an injury is a matter of when, not if.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Allen: this whole high ceiling thing is nonsense. Yes he can chuck it 90 yards but is he accurate inside of 20 yard throws? Can he process NFL defenses?

Jackson: 13 Wonderlick, mom is his agent, also accuracy concerns? Running qbs rarely survive the NFL. For every Russell Wilson you have Vick, Young, RG3, TT etc....

Rudolph: If I had a gun to my head I'd take Rudolph to have the best career between these 3, but he too has issues.

As others have said none of these guys are worthy of 12. Maybe 18-23 range or even lower?

One, for the umpteenth time, Jackson is NOT a running QB!! Why should Jackson hire an agent to take 3% of his money on a rookie contract? To hype him up? Let his tape do the talking. Seems like a sound financial decision to me. Why can't Jackson be considered a mobile QB like Rodgers, Mariota, Steve Young, even Elway? 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Staying healthy in college doesnt mean much when you're talking about running around in a grown man's league like the NFL.

Vick and RG3 didnt have any injury history in college, because no one at that level could touch them. Different story when you get to the pros and everyone is faster and stronger.

RG3's career ended early. Vick was always dinged up. We've even seen the "thicker" guys like Wilson and Tyrod get nicked up recently.

Wentz's season was ended when he ran the ball and he's a stout dude. Watson blew an ACL already.

For a kid like Jackson who will run the ball in the NFL, and who has the frailest build Ive seen in a long time, an injury is a matter of when, not if.

Watson got hurt at practice, kinda like Kevin Kolb who wasn't mobile. These same "grown men" came from the collegiate ranks. Lamar played against many of them. He's a smart enough football player to avoid solid hits. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, the skycap said:

One, for the umpteenth time, Jackson is NOT a running QB!! Why should Jackson hire an agent to take 3% of his money on a rookie contract? To hype him up? Let his tape do the talking. Seems like a sound financial decision to me. Why can't Jackson be considered a mobile QB like Rodgers, Mariota, Steve Young, even Elway? 

First, he isn't in Rodgers', Young's, or Elway's league when it comes to passing. Second, He ran the ball over 17 times per game in college.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So in this film of Rudolph throwing at OU's pro-day, is it just me or does he throw ducks sometimes?

about :15 - starts as a nice spiral, wobbly at the end

about :45 - wobble ball

about :52 - same

about 1:32 - same

about 2:35 - not quite as bad but

I 'get it' these are short/intermediate throws and you don't want them slung out of a cannon, but if the ball has so much off it that its' wobbling through the air, will it get there fast enough in the NFL or slice through a gusty wind?  Or is this just the new fashion for short/intermediate throws?  Didn't see in other prospects' pro day film of short throws.

Other times, he throws a good-looking ball with a nice, smooth spiral.  When he throws deep, he sure does throw a rainbow, though.

OSU film shows a long cut of Mike Tomlin talking on the sideline LOL

Haven't seen anyone suggesting Rudolph as a top-3 pick except "Pistols Firing", a blog from...wait for it....

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So in this film of Rudolph throwing at OU's pro-day, is it just me or does he throw ducks sometimes?

about :15 - starts as a nice spiral, wobbly at the end

about :45 - wobble ball

about :52 - same

about 1:32 - same

about 2:35 - not quite as bad but

I 'get it' these are short/intermediate throws and you don't want them slung out of a cannon, but if the ball has so much off it that its' wobbling through the air, will it get there fast enough in the NFL or slice through a gusty wind?  Or is this just the new fashion for short/intermediate throws?  Didn't see in other prospects' pro day film of short throws.

Other times, he throws a good-looking ball with a nice, smooth spiral.  When he throws deep, he sure does throw a rainbow, though.

OSU film shows a long cut of Mike Tomlin talking on the sideline LOL

Haven't seen anyone suggesting Rudolph as a top-3 pick except "Pistols Firing", a blog from...wait for it....

His biggest question mark is without a doubt his arm strength, but I believe it is adequate. It's not in the Peterman/Lauletta/Kellen Moore range.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

First, he isn't in Rodgers', Young's, or Elway's league when it comes to passing. Second, He ran the ball over 17 times per game in college.

Rodgers was Rodgers until the NFL. Young ran ALL THE TIME at BYU and at TB. Young will even tell you he had to learn to play from the pocket once he got to the league. Jackson is taking that same progression in his game. I'm not saying he's presently any of those guys, but he has the potential to be just as good. He definitely has the drive!!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think to paint a balanced picture here, you need to look at the injury history of pocket QB as well (Bradford, Stafford, Luck) and primarily pocket passers with mobility (Roethlisberger, Rodgers).

There are few QB in the NFL who don't get significantly injured in their careers, many multiple times.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Rodgers was Rodgers until the NFL. Young ran ALL THE TIME at BYU and at TB. Young will even tell you he had to learn to play from the pocket once he got to the league. Jackson is taking that same progression in his game. I'm not saying he's presently any of those guys, but he has the potential to be just as good. He definitely has the drive!!

Young ran 7.9 times per game compared to Jackson's 17.2. Jackson is a running QB until he proves otherwise.

29 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Watson got hurt at practice, kinda like Kevin Kolb who wasn't mobile. These same "grown men" came from the collegiate ranks. Lamar played against many of them. He's a smart enough football player to avoid solid hits. 

Jackson is most definitely a running QB. He is not merely a mobile passer.

And yeah, NFL players all played in college, but only the best of the best make the NFL. It's a completely different level and you know it. Much faster and harder hitting.

Toss Mariota on my list as well. Dinged up a lot already.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think to paint a balanced picture here, you need to look at the injury history of pocket QB as well (Bradford, Stafford, Luck) and primarily pocket passers with mobility (Roethlisberger, Rodgers).

There are few QB in the NFL who don't get significantly injured in their careers, many multiple times.

Sure, it's not a perfect science, but I see a greater risk in Jackson and his build than any of the pocket guys. JMO, and my reasoning.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

His biggest question mark is without a doubt his arm strength, but I believe it is adequate. It's not in the Peterman/Lauletta/Kellen Moore range.

Lauletta >> Peterman I think.  I don't know about Kellen Moore.

The Richmond pro day with Lauletta on Youtube is edited so that it's hard to really see a lot of the throws, but from what I could see I actually thought he threw a nicer spiral on the short stuff, and a deep ball that got there faster than Rudolph.  I could 100% be wrong though.  I like Rudolph.  I was surprised.  Maybe I'm wrong.