Why Jake Locker walked away from football.

PIZ

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

This is a really nice story. Tons of respect for Locker and his decision. 

It's a stretch to say imo that it has anything to do with Rosen and where he's drafted. 2 different people with much different outlooks. By that logic Roquan Smith may retire early because Chris Borland retired early.

If Rosen slides it's simply because teams view him as a guy that's darn good but may not have a ton of room to get better. Or they like another guy more. Or politics (NYJ especially). 

• Like (+1) 4

Other than the usual lazy analysis that having other life interests equates to not caring enough about football, I didn’t see anything in that article that suggests Josh Rosen is anything like Jake Locker. 

From all I’ve seen Josh Rosen is a deeply curious about many things, including how to be great in football. 

It’s a fallacy to believe that because someone has multiple interests they are incapable of sticking to and becoming an expert in any of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was a good piece. I think it shows that for many fans who want to see their players and their team only worry about football always, these players have other things, and it's not always a top priority. I made the assumption before reading it that it was because he sucked or couldn't stay healthy.  It turned out to be a well written article explaining how he pursued what he wanted and found peace and happiness within it.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This is a really nice story. Tons of respect for Locker and his decision. 

It's a stretch to say imo that it has anything to do with Rosen and where he's drafted. 2 different people with much different outlooks. By that logic Roquan Smith may retire early because Chris Borland retired early.

If Rosen slides it's simply because teams view him as a guy that's darn good but may not have a ton of room to get better. Or they like another guy more. Or politics (NYJ especially). 

Only meant that there has been talk about Rosen possibly not being all in with football, and had lots of other options that may interest him.

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good thing Rosen is Jewish.

Jesus can't interfere with football if he doesn't believe he exists.

Jewish people billieve that Jesus Christ existed.....they just don't billieve he is the Messiah:(

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Jewish people billieve that Jesus Christ existed.....they just don't billieve he is the Messiah:(

Correct.

Hence why I said "exists"

As in he's still not around to make life changing spiritual appearances in their eyes.

7 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Only meant that there has been talk about Rosen possibly not being all in with football, and had lots of other options that may interest him.

No, I get that. But it's a very poor take from fans. We as fans haven't sat in a room and talked to him. Haven't taken the time to interview everyone the kids been in contact with since basically the womb. We know what media wants us to know. 

It's also a narrative that could be used for a LOT of these kids coming out. Or is Josh Rosen that special that he's the only one with interests and goals outside football?

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

No, I get that. But it's a very poor take from fans. We as fans haven't sat in a room and talked to him. Haven't taken the time to interview everyone the kids been in contact with since basically the womb. We know what media wants us to know. 

It's also a narrative that could be used for a LOT of these kids coming out. Or is Josh Rosen that special that he's the only one with interests and goals outside football?

Agreed - I mean look at the drop Garrett had last year when it came out he was interested in dinosaurs and may want to go back to school and study paleontology.

Many of these kids have goals and interests outside of football - the key is talking and understanding those goals and how to obtain them while still giving the all for the team.

I think McDermott is really good at that because he actually seems to care about the players and wants to connect.

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He was the consensus #1 before he decided to go back to school for another year. It was all downhill from here

This should’ve been the biggest red flag of them all.  Locker seems like a genuine good dude, but all these scouts and GM’s get paid to figure out how important football is to them.  Peyton Manning going back to school was a different era and he supposedly was avoiding the Jets.  Locker basically pissed away $30m going back to Washington.  As Hasselbeck said, he’s not motivated by what motivates most other people.  I think that’s where there may be some similarities with Rosen.  

44 minutes ago, MarkAF43 said:

I thought it was a good piece. I think it shows that for many fans who want to see their players and their team only worry about football always, these players have other things, and it's not always a top priority. I made the assumption before reading it that it was because he sucked or couldn't stay healthy.  It turned out to be a well written article explaining how he pursued what he wanted and found peace and happiness within it.

didn't read, but read your post....great that he has found peace and happiness but lets not pretend he was actually a good QB who walked away from the game to pursue other interests. He sucked at QB, glad hes moved on personally. Don't see how it is a correlation to Josh Rosen (again, without reading)