Brady has not committed to playing in 2018

On 4/19/2018 at 3:25 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Solder may have been overpaid by Pats standards with his new contract, but that's beside the point of whether they'll miss him. They will. He's done a terrific job for a long time for them at a premium position. My guess is that Scarnecchia coaches someone up but they suffer a definite regression at tackle.

Solder is the highest paid OL in the NFL.Considering his injury history the last few years he was vastly overpaid. (And a contract the Patriots didn’t have the cap space match so while he be missed with Scar he is replaceable especially if everyone is right and they draft one high in the draft. ) 

my point was Solder I am sure Brady understood they couldn’t match the offer (so why be mad and FYI good for Solder!) and Cook he wasn’t sad see leave, seems Cook has had two HOF QB throwing to him and neither one sad see him go. (That says more about Cook to me)

Amandola is one of his favorites so he was annoyed by that and I bet he was more annoyed losing the SB because B.B. didn’t feel the need play Butler. (One thing lose with amyour best out there another to lose because your coach does something no one understands.. and I love B.B. as head coach but that decision.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Solder is the highest paid OL in the NFL.Considering his injury history the last few years he was vastly overpaid. (And a contract the Patriots didn’t have the cap space match so while he be missed with Scar he is replaceable especially if everyone is right and they draft one high in the draft. ) 

my point was Solder I am sure Brady understood they couldn’t match the offer (so why be mad and FYI good for Solder!) and Cook he wasn’t sad see leave, seems Cook has had two HOF QB throwing to him and neither one sad see him go. (That says more about Cook to me)

Amandola is one of his favorites so he was annoyed by that and I bet he was more annoyed losing the SB because B.B. didn’t feel the need play Butler. (One thing lose with amyour best out there another to lose because your coach does something no one understands.. and I love B.B. as head coach but that decision.

Solder's injury history? His injury history is that he's played 15 or 16 games a year in all but one of his seven seasons. The reason he got that contract is simple. He's an excellent left tackle, one of the top five or so in the league. He's not overpaid. And if you bring in a rookie, it will take time to get him up to speed, hopefully a lot of time, but LT is a very tough position to really get the technicalities of.

They don't have the cap space to keep Solder? True. But that's a result of other decisions and other priorities. They prioritized other things than keeping their QB healthy.

And more to the point, as I said it's beside the point whether or not he is overpaid. The question is whether he'll be missed. He will.  Salary has nothing to do with that.

The Pats will regress at LT, and likely - and hopefully - that means Brady will be beaten more consistently, and often when he doesn't expect it. Scarnecchia is very good, as I said, so if you're lucky you won't miss him too too much. But yeah, you'll miss him.

Agreed that the Butler decision was strange. Weird things going on your way. 

Edited by Thurman#1

On 4/20/2018 at 3:34 AM, The Red King said:

Keep in mind Belli posted a record with Matt Cassel that would have gotten the Pats into the playoffs most any other year.  The Pats are not dead in the water without Brady.  I think Brady fears that, and it's why Jimmy G had to go, so his ego wouldn't be bruised by Belli succeeding without him.

The year before they went 16-0. With Cassel 11-5 against a really really easy schedule. 

They're not dead in the water without his royal highness but they're not the same team. But yeah, with Garoppolo they might not have missed too too much. It was great to see the back of him.

That press conference was weird. Gronk thinks he's a comedian... I think all those gratuitous laughs he gets from reporters at his press conferences are going to his head... lol 

anyone catch that "unsportsmanlike comedy with rob gronkowski"?

He did a little stand up on that show. I personally thought it was kinda dumb, but that's just me. 

If reports are true, it says something about Brady.  Upset that NE drafted a replacement?  You're 40 and mortal.  If I were in his shoes I'd be happy I was still playing and understand there will come a time, likely soon, that I will be either injured or so worn down I need to retire and when that time comes I'd hope the team I love has a plan.

Brady didn't want to be replaced by Jimmy G?  Play well enough and he won't.  I don't remember seeing a big QB controversy in NE last year where people were screaming in large numbers to pull Brady.  Why?  Because Brady was too damn good, regardless of age.  And if Brady's play slips?  Well...there's a reason older players retire.  It's the circle of life.  Players, even the best of them, age...and their abilities decline.  Bruce Smith was easily better then our current DEs.  Why isn't he playing instead?  Age, of course.  Players get old, erode, and get replaced.

Brady is set for life.  He's got his rings, he's a lock for the HoF, has and will continue to make more money then he knows what to do with.  If he really is doing this, forcing Jimmy G out so he can continue to be the one, true legend in NE.  If he forced NE to compromise their future just so he can be comfortable in the spotlight a little longer...then that is truly pathetic.

43 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If reports are true, it says something about Brady.  Upset that NE drafted a replacement?  You're 40 and mortal.  If I were in his shoes I'd be happy I was still playing and understand there will come a time, likely soon, that I will be either injured or so worn down I need to retire and when that time comes I'd hope the team I love has a plan.

Brady didn't want to be replaced by Jimmy G?  Play well enough and he won't.  I don't remember seeing a big QB controversy in NE last year where people were screaming in large numbers to pull Brady.  Why?  Because Brady was too damn good, regardless of age.  And if Brady's play slips?  Well...there's a reason older players retire.  It's the circle of life.  Players, even the best of them, age...and their abilities decline.  Bruce Smith was easily better then our current DEs.  Why isn't he playing instead?  Age, of course.  Players get old, erode, and get replaced.

Brady is set for life.  He's got his rings, he's a lock for the HoF, has and will continue to make more money then he knows what to do with.  If he really is doing this, forcing Jimmy G out so he can continue to be the one, true legend in NE.  If he forced NE to compromise their future just so he can be comfortable in the spotlight a little longer...then that is truly pathetic.

The problem was he did play well enough and the Pats simply didn't want to pay Jimmy G top 10 starter money to hold a clipboard as his contract was about to run out.  He basically came two or three years too early.  That's it.  I expect the Pats to take a QB to groom in this year's draft as Brady only has two years left at best.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The problem was he did play well enough and the Pats simply didn't want to pay Jimmy G top 10 starter money to hold a clipboard as his contract was about to run out.  He basically came two or three years too early.  That's it.  I expect the Pats to take a QB to groom in this year's draft as Brady only has two years left at best.

So you don't think Brady had a hand in getting Jimmy G traded?  I'm asking honestly, not being sarcastic.

Just now, The Red King said:

So you don't think Brady had a hand in getting Jimmy G traded?  I'm asking honestly, not being sarcastic.

I don't know.  Their organization has very few leaks and I don't know what to believe of what's being reported.  You can look back at previous franchises who made the decision to move on (Manning to Luck, Montana to Young, Favre to Rodgers) when their veteran QB still had a few years in the tank.  For whatever reason the Patriots didn't and that's really good for us long term.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't know.  Their organization has very few leaks and I don't know what to believe of what's being reported.  You can look back at previous franchises who made the decision to move on (Manning to Luck, Montana to Young, Favre to Rodgers) when their veteran QB still had a few years in the tank.  For whatever reason the Patriots didn't and that's really good for us long term.

I'll be curious to see what comes to light after the collapse.  Right now all we have is speculation and circling vultures.  In a decade or so we should have the full, true story of what's actually unfolding now.

8 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'll be curious to see what comes to light after the collapse.  Right now all we have is speculation and circling vultures.  In a decade or so we should have the full, true story of what's actually unfolding now.

It will be.  My gut tells me the ruthlessly pragmatic Belichick would've wanted to keep Jimmy G and trade Brady for whatever they could get out of him.  Kraft overruled him and there's been friction between Belichick and Brady ever since.  I don't know for sure though.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It will be.  My gut tells me the ruthlessly pragmatic Belichick would've wanted to keep Jimmy G and trade Brady for whatever they could get out of him.  Kraft overruled him and there's been friction between Belichick and Brady ever since.  I don't know for sure though.

You're likely right.  Honestly, at the start of the season I figured NE would try and eek out one more SB win and Belli and Brady would ride off into the sunset.  Then Jimmy G got traded and that theory went out the window.

7 hours ago, cba fan said:

I heard gronk wears a protective helmet all the time to prevent brain damage.........ohh wait...nevermind.

Nothing could be harder than his head. And that hasn’t helped at all, obviously. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was reading that only 3-4 days after losing SB 51, Brady installed a clock in his training room that shows a countdown to SB 52. That doesn't sound like someone who's debating whether or not he'll play this season.....We have to deal with him for at least one more year....I do think that if NE win the SB this year , he'll finally retire....

You know Incognito committed to playing in 2018 before he went off the rails.

We just misconstrued what he meant by the term "playing" at the time of his tweets.:)

2 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I was reading that only 3-4 days after losing SB 51, Brady installed a clock in his training room that shows a countdown to SB 52. That doesn't sound like someone who's debating whether or not he'll play this season.....We have to deal with him for at least one more year....I do think that if NE win the SB this year , he'll finally retire....

If that is not a sign of some weird scientology-esqu Howard Hughes type living in an abandoned mansion/hotel watching movies type ****, nothing does.

Bat **** crazy concussed brain is failing. http://people.com/sports/tom-brady-gisele-camel-riding/ 

Edited by cba fan

On 4/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, The Red King said:

IMO I think BB wanted trade Brady for a kings ransom and start Jimmy G.   I also believe when he went to Kraft with his idea, Kraft said in not so many words “are you High! If you have trade one of them it is Jimmy G and not Tom!”  Which put BB panties in a bunch as he was told no for like the first time ever in NE by Kraft. 

Since nothing is being said by ANYONE the reporters having a field day with “anonymous source” this and that and everyone eating it up like gospel truth.   Fact is no one knows outside of those three for sure what happened. 

I cannot believe that the Patriots didn't keep Jimmy G, I also cannot believe they only traded him for a 2nd rd pick when he is better than all of the QB's in this draft. I also cannot believe that they lost to Nick Foles in the Super Bowl. If Brady decides to not play this year the Patriots are going to sink to the bottom of the division faster than a cargo ship filled with lead bricks. I think Kraft may be loosing it and as a Bills fan I hope its a 20 year losing festival.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

36 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I cannot believe that the Patriots didn't keep Jimmy G, I also cannot believe they only traded him for a 2nd rd pick when he is better than all of the QB's in this draft. I also cannot believe that they lost to Nick Foles in the Super Bowl. If Brady decides to not play this year the Patriots are going to sink to the bottom of the division faster than a cargo ship filled with lead bricks. I think Kraft may be loosing it and as a Bills fan I hope its a 20 year losing festival.

they definitely screwed the pooch.  The pooch being Kraft,  so....  Kraft screwed himself.  

Good or not they could have gotten much more for Jimmy G at the end of the 2018 season than they did midseason.