Would this regime survive a trade up miss at QB?

17 hours ago, KzooMike said:

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This regime won’t survive not taking a shot.  Period.

17 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No regime survives missing on a first round QB especially if they trade up. Whaley didn't survive a trade up for a WR.

They must draft a QB or turn AJ into a ProBowl QB.

If the Pegulas are serious about changing the culture at OBD, the current regime should survive a swing and a miss at QB. The important part is the swinging though.

As long as they are aggressively persuing an answer at the QB position, they should be allowed to work.

Ozzie Newsome took a 1st round swing on his first drafted QB, and missed big time on Kyle Boller. But he identified that miss within a couple years, and had McNair in to shore it up within 2 seasons. And then he did better his 2nd swing, getting Flacco in the middle of the 1st years later.

The Ravens were smart not to clean house in 2005 when it was determined Boller was a miss. They did the smart thing and owned up to the issue and moved to correct it.

If the Pegulas only give these guys one shot and then clean house, it will be more of the Same Ol Ralph's Bills. Revolving doors in the Front Office, and no respect from personnel around the league, no respect from players and agents, and more losing.

side note: Whaley stupidly selling the farm to move up 5 spots for a WR in a WR-rich draft is nothing like making moves for a QB. Not a good comparison.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

And look back at the last 20 years Pete....

I shall-

1st round pick for Rob Johnson

1st round pick for JP Losman

1st round pick Drew Bledsoe

0-3 - we were better off using picks at other positions

the best QB the Bills have had this millennium has been a 5" 10 NFL castoff via CFL 

I can't imagine this regime missing on the QB. I guess I can imagine it, but I don't expect it.

They've shown to be so much more competent than past regimes. They have a process and just need a guy that fits it.

On a related note: McDermott is like Marrone, but without the huge ego. And he has a good partnership with his GM.

I'm just waiting to hear some story about how McDermott is a huge !@#$....

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Thank you. You'd think the last 20+ years would get people over their fear of taking a shot at a QB.

I know, look at all the teams that have moved up in the draft for a QB in the past twenty years and all the super bowls those QBs have won! 

There is the Giants with Eli , and then the...um... er and the... I guess the colts with his brother? Sort of...

33 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I know, look at all the teams that have moved up in the draft for a QB in the past twenty years and all the super bowls those QBs have won! 

There is the Giants with Eli , and then the...um... er and the... I guess the colts with his brother? Sort of...

Yeah, because 'moving up' vs getting the guy in your existing slot is a determining factor in how a QB pans out.   Good grief, the stupidity around here really reaches a fever pitch this time of year.

41 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Literally the team that just won the last Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Literally the team that just won the last Super Bowl.

All that showed me is that there are different ways to biuld a team

If you look at them they biult their team first....THEN moved up for their QB.

The problem being that you have to be careful just how much you give up to get the QB before you biuld the team....or you end up with the Andrew Luck situation.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

All that showed me is that there are different ways to biuld a team

If you look at them they biult their team first....THEN moved up for their QB.

The problem being that you have to be careful just how much you give up to get the QB before you biuld the team....or you end up with the Andrew Luck situation.

Bolded doesnt make sense. The Colts gave up nothing to get Luck. The failure to build the team around him was strictly due to Grigson being an incompetent GM (possibly one of the worst in league history). I trust that Beane will be a better GM than Grigson.

WRT building a team, regardless of which way you prefer, reality is that the Bills are currently in the best position to nab a potentially franchise QB than they've been in for 20 years. The time is now. Go get your guy, trust the GM to build the team.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Bolded doesnt make sense. The Colts gave up nothing to get Luck. The failure to build the team around him was strictly due to Grigson being an incompetent GM (possibly one of the worst in league history). I trust that Beane will be a better GM than Grigson.

WRT building a team, regardless of which way you prefer, reality is that the Bills are currently in the best position to nab a potentially franchise QB than they've been in for 20 years. The time is now. Go get your guy, trust the GM to build the team.

Dr. what I mean is the complete inability to biuld anything around the QB and what seemed to be the total want of the franchise QB itself.

I have no problem with a trade up.....but teams are not biult in free agency they are biult through the draft...I am very worried about how much this trade up is going to cost us....I am willing to give up a ton....but what if its more then a ton.

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Dr. what I mean is the complete inability to biuld anything around the QB and what seemed to be the total want of the franchise QB itself.

I have no problem with a trade up.....but teams are not biult in free agency they are biult through the draft...I am very worried about how much this trade up is going to cost us....I am willing to give up a ton....but what if its more then a ton.

That's why it was great foresight by the FO to be proactive and acquire picks this year to use, instead of having to trade away all of our future. We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds this year, all in the top 100. Half of those are house money to be used to move up, so we're already ahead of the game. We may have to give up a pick in 2019, but we'll be in a better position going forward than any other team who has moved up this far recently.

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

sure it does.  No doubt Grigson sucked at GM.  But we would give up all those draft picks for a lottery ticket and not have any high draft picks for two season.  Grigson also drafted TY Hilton, so without 1,1,1,2,2  we are 0-5 with opportunity cost.  Grigson +1 for TY

Edited by Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

sure it does.  No doubt Grigson sucked at GM.  But we would give up all those draft picks for a lottery ticket and not have any high draft picks for two season.  Grigson also drafted TY Hilton, so without 1,1,1,2,2  we are 0-5 with opportunity cost.  Grigson +1 for TY

It's Sunday so Im not going to spend the time to pick apart everything wrong with your opportunity cost analysis. But, it's a completely inaccurate and incomplete representation of the facts and situation. So, nah.

20 hours ago, KzooMike said:

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

If the Bills take a QB at 12 and miss, I don't think that's necessarily it for Beane/McD, but it definitely could be.  If they trade up to 2 and miss on a QB (essentially trading Glenn, Watkins, Darby, plus multiple 1sts/2nds for a QB and whiffing) I can't see this front office lasting beyond next year.  

7 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

If the Bills take a QB at 12 and miss, I don't think that's necessarily it for Beane/McD, but it definitely could be.  If they trade up to 2 and miss on a QB (essentially trading Glenn, Watkins, Darby, plus multiple 1sts/2nds for a QB and whiffing) I can't see this front office lasting beyond next year.  

Agree but they will get two years for that QB to succeed or fail not one.

22 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

That's an oversimplification. If you mean unwillingness to part with all of their picks then yes. Even an unwilling trade down partner could probably be convinced to accept 4 first rounders and all of this years 2s and 3s. And Beane wouldn't be willing to offer that. 

Yep.

Nor should he lose his job for not doing so.